If the Raps could re-draft since 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Raps could re-draft since 2005

The Indiana post made me think of players we could of potentially drafted. I thought it would be fun to see what 'could of been'. I know that if we had drafted certain players in earlier years we wouldn't have been in the position to draft other players in latter years.
    Also some of our picks were based on position/need rather than talent. So, this is a completely fruitless exercise but meh.

I decided to start with 2004 because the Araujo pick still haunts me at night.

2004 #8 pick - Rafael Araújo (C) -- Andre Igoudala (G/F)

2005 #7 pick - Charlie Villanueva (PF) -- Andrew Bynum (C)
    #16 pick - Joey Graham (G/F) -- Danny Granger (SF)
    #47 pick - Roko Ukić (G) -- Louis Williams (G)
    * we were one pick shy of Monta Ellis and Gortat also went after Roko

2006 #1 pick - Andrea Bargnani (PF/C) -- LaMarcus Aldridge (PF/C)
    #35 pick - P.J. Tucker (F) -- Paul Millsap (PF)

2008 #17 pick traded to Indiana (we know how that turned out)

2009 #9 pick DeMar DeRozan (SG) -- Ty Lawson (PG)
    * very debatable but he impressed me in the play-offs (Jennings and Jrue Holiday other options)

2010 #13 pick Ed Davis (PF) -- Landry Fields (G/F)

2011 #5 pick Jonas Valančiūnas (C) -- Jonas Valančiūnas (C)
    * I'm at the front of the JV badwagon but there are definite stand out that proved their worth this past year Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, and Bismack showed flashes of what he is capable of

2012 #8 pick Jeremy Lamb (SG) [watch this be a terrible pick proving hindsight is 20/20]

2012/2013 Lineup

PG Lawson / Williams
    SG Igoudala / Lamb
    SF Granger / Fields
    PF Aldridge / Millsap
    C Bynum / Valančiūnas
    Last edited by connected; Fri May 18, 2012, 02:57 PM.

The problem is if the Raptors draft AI in 2004 then a domino affect happens whereby they probably are not in the same spot in future years.

A lineup of Lawson, Iguodala, Granger, Aldridge, and Bynum (which never would have happened) is not going to be picking Valanciunas last year at #5.

This is a fun exercise but you can do this with any team in the league. The overwhelming majority of times the draft is a roll of the dice with many factors outside of player talent is going to effect performance (coach, environment, teammates, role, opportunities, playing time, off court influences, etc.).

Comment

Matt said what I was thinking as soon as I read the title of the thread. It would be virtually impossible for the Raptors to hit gold each year from 2005-present and always draft in the same position as if they did not hit gold.

Comment

Rookies....

Comment

Salary cap

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            The problem is if the Raptors draft AI in 2004 then a domino affect happens whereby they probably are not in the same spot in future years.

A lineup of Lawson, Iguodala, Granger, Aldridge, and Bynum (which never would have happened) is not going to be picking Valanciunas last year at #5.

This is a fun exercise but you can do this with any team in the league. The overwhelming majority of times the draft is a roll of the dice with many factors outside of player talent is going to effect performance (coach, environment, teammates, role, opportunities, playing time, off court influences, etc.).
            Im salivating...............

Comment

I'd take Jrue over Lawson, personally.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I actually don't think it's fruitless. I personally was sitting there on draft night hoping for Iguodala, hoping for Granger, hoping for Aldridge so this is not necessarily 20/20 hindsight but an indictment of some pretty incompetent drafts (mostly Babcock - who set the franchise back a decade)

Comment

connected wrote: View Post
                  PG Lawson / Williams
                  SG Igoudala / Lamb
                  SF Granger / Fields
                  PF Aldridge / Millsap
                  C Bynum / Valančiūnas
                  It would be fun of course if we had hit gold every time, but not if you have to pay them.

SG Igoudala $14,718,250
                  SF Granger $13,058,606
                  PF Aldridge $13,000,000
                  C Bynum $16,473,002

That's about $57 mil. for 4 players

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                    It would be fun of course if we had hit gold every time, but not if you have to pay them.

SG Igoudala $14,718,250
                    SF Granger $13,058,606
                    PF Aldridge $13,000,000
                    C Bynum $16,473,002

That's about $57 mil. for 4 players
                    And don't forget Millsap at $8M and Williams at $6M - that is $71M for 6 players.

Every player added from here on out is $2 for every $1 - and of course that gets much more punitive starting in 2013-2014.

Comment

But maybe if they all play on the same team, they wouldnt be able to hog the spotlight and would have to share the ball equally which would result in more wins but less gaudy numbers. A crafty GM might be able to keep them in the 10 million range just by saying your 18 points a game are good, not great...

Comment

woulda coulda shoulda .. We're still the Raptors
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Don't take it personally, but, this is an utter pointless and unfun exercise in futility or something like that.

It's ridiculous. You can have this conversation a thousand different times and it changes absolutely nothing and is pointless.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Well, true as that may be, that goes for almost everything we say on here. Nothing we say will change any player or management action.

Comment

I'm not sure I entirely believe that. I mean don't you figure there is somebody in the organization or close that at least occasionally monitors fan forums, if not, twitter or facebook and that info is ocassionally brought up in meetings.

Even if there isn't, nothing about the future or even the immediate future is set in stone. You could even make an argument about certain things in the near past.

When you are going back years or even a year talking about irrelevant things that happened and was already looked over and done with and forgot about years ago.

What the fuck is the point?
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                              X