Would you rather Lin or Bayless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather Lin or Bayless?

Tim Chisholm examines the reports of Toronto pursuing Lin this off season and comes to a conclusion that I never thought I'd agree with: just keep Bayless.

By now, you've probably heard the rumor about the Toronto Raptors having an interest in pursuing New York's Jeremy Lin this summer. You've heard his agent put doubt in the minds of Knicks fans about Lin's inevitable return to Madison Square Garden. You've heard that 'sources' have confirmed Toronto's interest in the breakout guard and no doubt by now you've formed an opinion of Lin's fit in Toronto's future. All things being equal, though, I don't personally understand the interest.

That isn't a sleight to Lin. While I remained a skeptic for much of his 25-game pre-injury run this season as a starter with the Knicks, he clearly demonstrated that he has a future in the NBA and may well have a very good one if he keeps improving. However, there are several other factors at work here that make me question the advisability of going after Lin in free agency this summer, but no factor looms larger than Toronto's own free agent guard, Jerryd Bayless.

First, some stats. Here are Lin's numbers as a starter this year for the Knicks:

25 games, 18.2 ppg, 7.7 apg, 4.7 TOpg, 3.7 rpg, .445 FG%, .343 3PFG%

Now, here are the numbers Bayless posted as a starter in his two years with Toronto:

25 games, 18.0 ppg, 6.1 apg, 2.6 TOpg, 3.3 rpg, .460 FG%, .383 3PFG%
    Enough lines of interest fit (a 'name' free agent, international appeal, a player that generates more attention than wins) that I couldn't shake the sense of déjà vu when Lin's name started popping up linked to Toronto, but that doesn't mean Colangelo is eager to repeat history with an offer. It would take a lot to shake Lin loose from New York and Lin's agent may simply be angling for as good a deal as he can get from the Knicks with little-to-no leverage by planting (and perpetuating) this story. Plus, with their comparable games, going hard and heavy after Lin while Bayless is still technically in the team's bloodstream would make next to no sense, unless the Raptors see something dramatic in Lin that I do not.

Suffice it say that the rumors of Toronto's impending pursuit of Lin leave me more than a little skeptical, with my only hesitation coming from Colangleo's past infatuation with Turkoglu. Some team, most likely New York, may bet big and win on Lin in the coming years, but the Raptors have enough gambles to deal with already under contract to start canvassing the league for someone else's. If the Raptors want to keep Bayless, fine, but going after Lin makes no sense to me.
    Source: TSN.ca

The only thing I would add to reassure Tim Chisholm is last summer's rumours were all about Toronto signing *insert free agent big man HERE* and that turned out to be nonsense. Also, the Turkoglu rumours were long before Colangelo's ill-fated Tyson Chandler trade which has since created a deep silence over Raptorland with regards to anything roster change related.
    Bayless
    66.67%
    Lin
    33.33%

Depends on the price tag. The way most are talking, Lin will receive at least twice as much on average per year as Bayless is likely to get in Bayless' best case scenario.

Comment

Bayless likes Toronto and has all the tools to be a better player. Keep Bayless and Sign Nash

Comment

I wouldn't mind Lin as the Raptors backup PG, just not at the price it will allegedly take to sign him away from NY (starting at max-MLE with big raises each of the following 3-4 seasons).

If it weren't for the media circus surrounding "Linsanity", I don't think people would be willing to throw that much money at a player who was cut twice in a season, squeezed into action due to multiple injuries, above-average turnover prone and now also a fairly significant injury risk. He's a young kid playing on a minimum contract who, IMO, hasn't earned even a full MLE value contract.

My first choice for backup PG, assuming none of the big time wing prospects are available when the Raps lottery pick comes around, is Kendall Marshall. If not Marshall, then suddenly the Raps seem to be considering Bayless, Dragic and Lin, who will likely all demand around the full MLE. My top choice from among those three would be Dragic. After that, it comes down to the devil you know (Bayless) VS the devil you think you know (Lin).

If I could hand out equal contracts in the $4-5M range, then I might be willing to roll the dice with Lin, given the massive increase in ticket sales his presence could result in by playing in Toronto (using the NY game as a one-game test market). At the very least, he seems to be more of the traditional team-oriented, pass-first PG than Bayless is. Given the opportunity to backup a mentor like Calderon (or Nash, if Matt gets his wish), I think he could develop into more of the pure PG that I prefer, whereas Bayless has showed no sign of changing up his style of play to fit the traditional PG mold.

I just don't like the thought of giving Lin a contract starting at max-MLE and increasing from there, considering how completely unproven (and now an injury risk) he is.

Comment

Lin but not at starters price.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Jeez Ceez. Bayless all day every day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and the playoffs

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I wouldn't mind Lin as the Raptors backup PG, just not at the price it will allegedly take to sign him away from NY (starting at max-MLE with big raises each of the following 3-4 seasons).

If it weren't for the media circus surrounding "Linsanity", I don't think people would be willing to throw that much money at a player who was cut twice in a season, squeezed into action due to multiple injuries, above-average turnover prone and now also a fairly significant injury risk. He's a young kid playing on a minimum contract who, IMO, hasn't earned even a full MLE value contract.

My first choice for backup PG, assuming none of the big time wing prospects are available when the Raps lottery pick comes around, is Kendall Marshall. If not Marshall, then suddenly the Raps seem to be considering Bayless, Dragic and Lin, who will likely all demand around the full MLE. My top choice from among those three would be Dragic. After that, it comes down to the devil you know (Bayless) VS the devil you think you know (Lin).

If I could hand out equal contracts in the $4-5M range, then I might be willing to roll the dice with Lin, given the massive increase in ticket sales his presence could result in by playing in Toronto (using the NY game as a one-game test market). At the very least, he seems to be more of the traditional team-oriented, pass-first PG than Bayless is. Given the opportunity to backup a mentor like Calderon (or Nash, if Matt gets his wish), I think he could develop into more of the pure PG that I prefer, whereas Bayless has showed no sign of changing up his style of play to fit the traditional PG mold.

I just don't like the thought of giving Lin a contract starting at max-MLE and increasing from there, considering how completely unproven (and now an injury risk) he is.
              I'm with you.

Comment

As a raptor's fan, Bayless. He's cheaper, has more upside (imo) and is a better defender (imo). Plus the fact that he was highly recruited in high school, in college, and in the NBA. Lin none of the above.

In a business perspective, Lin by a mile. He's a marketer's dream. As a brand manager myself, I would have Lin in a heartbeat.

Comment

You should put a third option for "neither".

Comment

Bayless reminds me of Corky from Life Goes On
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Most of you younger cats won't get that one but that's what google is for
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Lin peaked after an amazing 6-7 games and finished up pretty ordinary.
                        Put Bargs 13 legendary games with those 6-7 games and you have a highlight reel to rival the best ever.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
                          You should put a third option for "neither".
                          You must have missed the beginning of the question: "Assuming you had no other PG choice....."

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            Bayless reminds me of Corky from Life Goes On
                            In what way, and if you mean the most obvious one, that's really offensive.

Comment

I think Lin is slightly better than Bayless, but Lin will be grossly overpaid and Bayless will not be.

Bayless for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X