Bryan Coangelo's Performance Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bryan Coangelo's Performance Review

Based on what I've read about the new CBA, and Matt52's recent posting I got thinking about the importance of management under the the new CBA.

I truly believe (and am confident that subsequent NBA seasons will demonstrate this to be accurate) that the new CBA will change the tax paying habits of the big spending teams. I don't think they will be willing to spend that much more in tax than they currently do, which means they will being going into the tax territory not nearly as much and not nearly as often.

The end result of this means that management becomes even more important to building a championship team than in the past, because you can't make up for management mistakes by spending more money.

This got me thinking, how good is Bryan Coangelo as a GM. Where would I rank him compared to other GM's in the league? I think it would be an interesting exercise to do a performance review for Coangelo on the the important tasks he's responsible for, as well as rank him against the rest of the GM's in the league.

On a scale of 0-10 (ten being good, and zero being not good)

Drafting: 8, I think he is a top 5 GM when it comes to drafting players who perform above where they were selected.

Trades: 7, Seems to be good at trading players who aren't very good for other players who are slightly better, and is able to get away from mistakes with causing the organisation to much pain. He seems to be a good judge of a players value. Unfortunately he also seems to be willing to make big trades that don't seem to get us anywhere and result in us giving up young talent.

Free Agent Signings: 4, doesn't seem to have a good track record here and that Turkoglu contract is still a monster.

Coaching: 7 Triano was not the right guy for the job, Casey seems to be.

Player Development: 6 You could argue that he trades draft picks/young talent to0 easily, and you could also add that he forces coaches to give playing time to players who don't deserve it and hangs on to players for too long (Bargnani) If Bargs plays well for a season or two I'd bump this rating, if he plays at his 2010-2011 performance for the rest of his career I'd drop the rating a number or two

I'm currently supporting Coangelo, albeit skeptically. For me I think the goal needs to be a top 5, or at the very least a top 10 GM. Where does Coangelo fit?

Fill out these categories (and any other categories you feel are pertinent) and then cast your vote on how he stacks up with the rest of the league.

I've heard rumours that he actually likes to read the site, so who knows, maybe a performance review will help him do a better job!

I gave him the nod for the top ten, but he is right on the fence and I could have just as easily put him in the 10-15 range.

Basically, I'm okay with getting rid of him if we can get someone better. The problem is that I'm not confident that his replacement will be any better, and could just as easily be worse.
    He's hands down the BEST GM in the league
    2.56%
    He's in the 1-5 Range
    10.26%
    He's in the 6-10 Range
    41.03%
    He's in the 11-15 Range
    28.21%
    He's in he 16-20 Range
    7.69%
    He's in the 21-25 Range
    7.69%
    He's in the 26-30 Range
    0.00%
    He's hands down the WORST GM in the league
    2.56%
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon May 28, 2012, 05:48 AM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

I give him 8-12. I think he's OK. There are a lot of really bad GMs in this league!

Comment

6-10

i think the teams that stay at the top get in LA, SA, DA. i like ainge and the celtics. other than durant being a no brainer presti has done a good bit of drafting and the perkins trade was great. depending on his future moves ujuri seems pretty decent too. then it starts to clutter. i give bc the benefit of the doubt with his track record in t.o. i think he came in and tried to shoot for the stars for bosh and did great the first year. shit hit the fan, he tried to right the ship. and now is building well.

Comment

I think in terms of his ability he is a top 5 GM. He is creative at trading within the confines of the CBA. He is a great drafter. He is certainly well=respected throughout the league. He is not afraid to make a bold move whether it be a draft pick or trade. Unfortunately none of his bold moves (outside of draft picks) appear to have panned out in Toronto which is unfortunate.

However, in terms of his execution in Toronto I would put him in the middle of the pack. As mentioned many of his big swings were strike outs. Years of appeasing Bosh was doomed for failure. I want to see what he does the next 1-2 years. If he is successful he will put himself back into the top 5 but for me I am going 11-15.

Comment

I like a lot of the moves BC has tried to do but he's been spurned by players not wanting to commit to Toronto, plus MJ's last minute kibosh on the Chandler Diaw trade.
          I believe John Salmons, Mickael Pietrus, and Matt Barnes have all nixed or refused trades/signings in the past. With this type of handicap it makes it much more difficult.
          I can forgive most of the risks he's taken. As a GM I think you have to take risks in a market like Toronto. Mediocrity is just that, boring. But when you swing for the fences you're going to miss sometimes. So I hope he's due for a homerun this time around.

Comment

the bosh years were miserable

but what he did in phoenix was remarkable. hard to really give him a grade now.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This is not really a good time to rate BC. This coming 2-3 months is when some major decisions are going to be made for the franchise so a more appropriate time to rate his tenure would be at least a year from now. In the meantime we cannot ignore the past record, his realization that eschewing defense for a Suns type of play was really a bad evaluation of the roster and coach, his reliance on the notion that Bosh could be the man and hiring of Triano. In retrospect pretty nasty decisions and results. However I believe he has changed on the need to go defensive, hiring Casey and lucky to have drafted JV. He has managed the cap relatively well and so we shall see re the potential of this team rising in the Eastern conf.

In the meantime his record/rating should reflect where the team sits in the standings (8th worst). But as mentioned I am optimistic the tide has turned. I personally like his demeanour and professionalism representing the franchise and city so taking all factors into consid. I give him a middle of the pack rating....14-16.

Comment

As a certified believer that Colangelo should have been fired ages ago, I admit my bias upfront. Without going into a dissertation as to why I believe he's not very good I will just point out a couple facts.

From 2000-01 to 2005-06, the Raptors organization had a winning percentage of 42%, made the playoffs twice and won one series. From 2006-07 to 2011-12, the Raptors organization had a winning percentage of 43.2%, made the playoffs twice and did not won a playoff series.

Despite his reputation, for all his pedigree, for how "well-respected" he is by "them", for all of his track record in Phoenix, et cetera, et cetera, he has accomplished absolutely nothing in Toronto. Yeah, he makes a lot of moves. He swings for the fences. That's only a good thing if you get results. He hasn't.

I really hope he abandons his "running as fast as you can to stay in the same place" approach and succeeds in putting a winning team on the floor but, given the talk coming out of the organization, I fear we're headed for 2006-2012 all over again...

Comment

This is tough to answer because behind every GM there's ownership. Maybe with different ownership things with Bosh could have been different because he could have spent into the tax. He has always been trying to make a championship team under the cap and that in itself has been a struggle with a win-now attitude. This new plan to build with the draft and with urgent youg players makes sense in their current situation.

He was a bold GM in the bosh era trying to appease a star and win. Now he is a patient GM looking to build with cheap young pieces. He seems to be making the right moves in every circumstance. Like anything, there's a risk and it hasn't always played out for him.

I think I'd rate a GM higher who is willing to take a risk for his team than to always do the safe thing. This summer we will get to see the bolder Colangelo again and we will see what he can do.

Comment

First, I like BC as the GM of the Raps and think he's the right guy for the job. That being said he hasn't done that great of a job since he's been here, although I'd definitely give him an A for effort, I'll only vote him in the 11-15 slot based on results.

This off-season will define his tenure.

Comment

He's failed, miserably, so far in Toronto. How can a GM not be judged by the club's won//loss record over the course of a few seasons?

The other issue is that I don't agree with BC's desperate efforts to tank the last two seasons. The draft is overrated. The Raptors seem to be perpetually in the lotto without much progress.

Comment

atleast he's not like MJ probably the worst GM in the entire league

Comment

I voted 6-10 because his track record in Toronto has reduced his prestige a little.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                            He's failed, miserably, so far in Toronto. How can a GM not be judged by the club's won//loss record over the course of a few seasons?

The other issue is that I don't agree with BC's desperate efforts to tank the last two seasons. The draft is overrated. The Raptors seem to be perpetually in the lotto without much progress.
                            Why are you against tanking over the past 2 seasons? It's too early to assume that tanking hasn't helped us because last year's pick hasn't contributed yet.

Instead of tanking, going for the quick fix is exactly what we don't want Colangelo to do.

Comment

For those that are interested, here is a list of all transactions made by Bryan (including his tenure in Phoenix):
                              http://www.basketball-reference.com/...olanbr99x.html

He did make some questionable moves in Phoenix as well (for example giving Gortat to Orlando for a bag of balls)... but his draft history consistently appears to be stellar.

Comment

Working...
                              X