Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Need To Add Piece For a Playoff Run

Hmmm ..... Camby or Haywood? Would ya?

Not sure about Camby, but I think I'd be up to add Haywood to back-up Bargnani.

Thoughts?

The more one watches the Raptors, the more one is convinced that the absolute best option for the team is to make a change prior to the Feb. 18 trade deadline.

Only then can the Raptors be taken as serious players in the post-season.

Given the many restrictions and limitations that exist in a climate of reduced revenues and basketball-related income, it’s going to be difficult to engineer the kind of move necessary to get the Raptors over the hump.

Even when Reggie Evans returns, which should be around the time of the trade deadline, the Raptors’ problems won’t all be solved.

Assuming Evans is able to come back and be that interior presence, defensively, there won’t be many nights when boxing out an opponent becomes problematic.

The need for an established wing player with late shot-clock abilities is obvious, but those kinds of athletic pieces aren’t readily available.

When a team can’t go athletic, it can go big.

The buzz around the NBA is that bigs such as Marcus Camby and Brendan Haywood might be had for the right price.

As of Saturday, the grapevine seemed to indicate that the Washington Wizards are more inclined to keep Haywood, a free agent this summer who makes about $6 million US.

Camby also is a free agent, earning roughly $1.5 million more than Haywood.
    Source - Click here

Interesting...

I'm not sure if Camby has anything left, but Haywood would be a nice pick-up.
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Kevin Martin is available. We need to get him
      Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Although these pieces are great, we also have to remember that we're still giving something up in order to get them. At this point, I would only put Antoine Wright, Marcus Banks and POB on the trading block because everyone else is vital to the team's success. Now, the Raptors are not likely to get someone that they need by trading away those bench players, but to get a luxury like a big man isn't worth giving up a core player at this point.

Comment

Neither player alters their chances of making noise once the playoffs begin. The Raptors need a large piece who has to play large minutes. Not 15-20 minutes off the bench.

I don't expect the Raptors to make a deal for an impact player at the trading deadline. I don't think Colangelo is prepared to break up this core or to part with future draft picks, so his coffers (trade asset wise) are fairly bare at the moment.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

The Raptors could add Martin and probably at least one more excellent player right now if they were willing to do two things:

1. Give up a promising young player like DDR.
            2. Go into luxury tax territory.

I think within 3 years DDR will be tearing up the NBA, but I'm not so sure of that that I'd be unwilling to trade him for Martin, who is great now. Bosh is great now, and wants I'm sure to stay in Toronto, so I say do the deal. Stockpile as many pricey veterans as possible and go for it. If you're going to fail, fail spectacularly. Go out with a bang, not a whimper.

I think the bottom line is the Teacher's Fund isn't willing to pay the tax.

Comment

The Raptors could add Martin and probably at least one more excellent player right now if they were willing to do two things:

1. Give up a promising young player like DDR.
              2. Go into luxury tax territory.

I think within 3 years DDR will be tearing up the NBA, but I'm not so sure of that that I'd be unwilling to trade him for Martin, who is great now. Bosh is great now, and wants I'm sure to stay in Toronto, so I say do the deal. Stockpile as many pricey veterans as possible and go for it. If you're going to fail, fail spectacularly. Go out with a bang, not a whimper.

I think the bottom line is the Teacher's Fund isn't willing to pay the tax.

Comment

Gurk wrote: View Post
                Kevin Martin is available. We need to get him
                Martin sucks. We need D, not more chucking.
                "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Not Sure

Dark Knight wrote: View Post
                  Interesting...

I'm not sure if Camby has anything left, but Haywood would be a nice pick-up.
                  Last three games rebounds in reverse order

Today 19
                  Denver 6
                  Chicago 25

Rebounds per game this year 11.8 in 31 mpg

Not sure he has anything left?

I think you got a hole in your screen door!
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Ya a backup defensive big would be nice to see. A backup small forward would be nice too (an upgrade to A.Wright).

Comment

Bankrupt the Future for the here and now?

Bill Simmons has said it as much as anyone, the Toronto Raptors are looking to advance themselves right now, for the detrement of tomorow.
                      I'm a fan of Mr. Simmons (as much as I hate his anti-raptor stance), and I think he had the right idea about the naivety about signing an aging SF like Hedo, but this is a signing we must live with. As much as I, like all raptors fans, would like to see the raptors flurish in the postseason now (due to a pre-trade deadline move like this forum is suggesting), I think we must instead accept that this team is at best a first or second round out in the postseason, and we must rejoice in anything more than that.
                      I'd like a player like Camby or Haywood as well, but everyone has to admit that to grab one of these hidden gems, we'd have to morgage the future. It's not like Washington or the Clippers are gonna give these guys up for scrubs.

Comment

As much as I love Camby's game, what are they giving up for him? Essentially he would be a rent-a-center. I don't think Camby is a realistic option. They wouldn't be a legit contender with him, it would cost them some of their core and/or picks to get him and so what's the point?... Other then a desperation move to try and keep Bosh. If that's what it is and they feel it gets them to round two or better then sign me up I guess but I feel it isn't the best option.

Comment

Exactly, what are we giving up to get Camby? In a best case situation, what is a Camby/Haywood giving us? If trades are going to be made, let's think long term, not short. The Lakers, Celtics and Caveliers can think here and now, the Raptors need to think long term.

Comment

This may sound completely crazy but why not go after T-Mac? We are in need of a small forward and he's going to be looking for a team.....crazy, you may think? Think about who we have now: Antoine Wright - could it really be that much worse than what we have at backup now?

T-Mac coming back to Toronto would be something that would be worth seeing if he really can actually himself - and you know he wants to play and wants to prove he still can play - not likely to happen but something to think.....what if? what a return that would be
                            Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Working...
                            X