Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demar and Amir back at it, with the Drew League. Good thing? Bad thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's hoping it's just a fun thing on his schedule and it doesnt deter him from doing the serious stuff on his game (because he isnt going to get it in the Drew I dont think). I am sure the Raptors trainer (I forget his name) has given him some instructions. There are plenty of NBAers who line up with topline off season personal coaches/trainers to do whatever is on the lacking side. He could join someone and it may mean a little bit of an expense on his side but.....

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      However, I would assume that the Drew League isn't exactly the most grueling of schedules. Maybe DeMar actually is working on skills, as well as hitting the weights hard in addition to participating in this poor man's AND1 tour.
      planetmars wrote: View Post
      Ultimately this is DeMar's "vacation" time right now. So if he wants to enjoy his time off by playing with his friends, I don't think its a big deal. I just hope that once the summer progresses he changes gears and starts hitting the weight room and starts honing his skills. I'm sure Casey will be all over this as he finally gets a time to work with him this off season as compared to last year.
      These two posts actually sum up my thinking perfectly. Thanks guys! haha

I would think that it is a given that these pick up style games are not the only avenue Demar would choose to improve his game. With him now being able to be in contact with the team and take orders from the team, and with the USA Select team coming up, I'm sure he's just looking to have some fun.

And seeing as he can't really indulge in some of the 'fun' that normal 23 year olds do, I say I'm totally fine with him playing these games and entertaining his friends and family from the LA area.

Comment

Most of our players right now aren't even working out right now. Now DeMar will be training with team USA and during summer league he'll be part of a mini training camp with the coaches and his teammates. It's not the end of the world that he's playing in the drew league for some reps. Even in the video he isn't even looking to try.

Comment

Some of these posts remind me of the story of Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan in 1990. The story goes, if I recall correctly, that they got bounced by the Pistons (again). MJ and Pippen finally had enough of getting bounced around by the "Bad Boys" that the next day after the loss they were in the Bulls practice facility lifting weights. Of course we know what happened from 1991 onwards.

Now do I expect the Raptors to start winning championships because DeMar hits the weight room? Absolutely!

*Joking*

Of course not. But the season has been over for over a month and I hope he got to work on the things that need work. Jordan and Pippen didn't need to work on their skills, they needed to get stronger i.e. they recognized their weaknesses and attacked them.

I hope DeMar realizes his weaknesses and attacks them with the same passion as organized pick up ball.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Ultimately this is DeMar's "vacation" time right now. So if he wants to enjoy his time off by playing with his friends, I don't think its a big deal. I just hope that once the summer progresses he changes gears and starts hitting the weight room and starts honing his skills. I'm sure Casey will be all over this as he finally gets a time to work with him this off season as compared to last year.
            I agree with this too. This IS vacation time for players. A lot of guys take a month or two full off from any kind of hard physical activity. I don't think Drew league is anything special, but I don't think he'll be playing in some crap league like this all summer, and I don't think he'll develop terrible habits or anything that will hinder his development. That's like saying playing for fun is a bad habit, but these guys horse around all the time at practice, and that's how they fell in love with the game. Remember, not only is it his vacation time, but also probably the coaches. While they might be helping to prepare for the draft, I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't done much between the end of the season and probably tomorrow night's lottery. Light work planning summer programs for the players or something. I think playing in this league just shows that he really is a basketball guy. Think whatever you want about his talent, potential, etc., but this kid just loves playing ball and there's nothing he'd rather be doing. Also do we know he's not hitting the weight room just because he's playing there?

On the flip side, I hope this is also just his idea of having some fun before getting to real summer work. He will be with the select team and that mini camp, and then I hope that him and a bunch of other guys go back to Toronto. I don't think they can be coached as a team (I'm fuzzy on what coaches can do), but I think just being there having the staff work with them if/when they can, using good facilities incl. weight room, and just working on some team sets, even things like zone D, if they have enough guys.

Comment

Demar

The difference this year, is that Demar will experience a full training camp under Casey, so any negative impact by so called pick-up Leagues can be negated.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                The drew league will do nothing in bettering yourself as a player. False sense of confidence and development of bad habits is all that will come from this.
                agreed 1000%

Comment

It's kind of like a doctor who gets a yearly sabbatical for training and chooses to skip his refresher courses to stay home and play "Operation" with his kids..
                  Yes, it looks like basketball, but let's be real. I'm sure this isn't representative of all of the work he's putting in this off season. Demar's redeeming quality has always been his "intense work ethic" that everyone loved to talk about. I'm sure the Drew league isn't it.

Comment

It's fine that we sit on our fat butts throwing jabs at him from our keyboards for not doing what we, in our vast NBA experience, think DeMar should be doing in his off time. As long as he doesn't come in to camp shaped like Oliver Miller or even Dirk (post chip) I could give a rats ass about Drew league. He has a full summer to work out, BC, Casey and the crew are prepping for the draft and only after that do I expect things to get serious for the players.

Playing a little pick up in May will have little to no impact whatsoever come October. Short of an injury (knock on wood) of course.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                      It's fine that we sit on our fat butts throwing jabs at him from our keyboards for not doing what we, in our vast NBA experience, think DeMar should be doing in his off time. As long as he doesn't come in to camp shaped like Oliver Miller or even Dirk (post chip) I could give a rats ass about Drew league. He has a full summer to work out, BC, Casey and the crew are prepping for the draft and only after that do I expect things to get serious for the players.

Playing a little pick up in May will have little to no impact whatsoever come October. Short of an injury (knock on wood) of course.
                      Who is throwing jabs? And I don't know about you but I'm not fat.

There are lots of opinions being thrown, that is for sure.

DeMar doesn't work for us but he does work for MLSE which relies on fan's (us) interest and entertainment money to pay the Raptor related bills - like salary.

During the season BC and DC talked about the need for him to raise the bar in terms of honing his craft. He needs to put the same focus on weights and caring for his body that he does on playing, according to GM and coach. I can't speak for anyone else but this is what I want to see. I want to see highlights of DeMar in the weight room, not another pick up game.

Hopefully he is putting his time in to the things that his GM and coach have been discussing as they both has vast more NBA experience than us as fans - and DeMar.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Who is throwing jabs? And I don't know about you but I'm not fat.

There are lots of opinions being thrown, that is for sure.

DeMar doesn't work for us but he does work for MLSE which relies on fan's (us) interest and entertainment money to pay the Raptor related bills - like salary.

During the season BC and DC talked about the need for him to raise the bar in terms of honing his craft. He needs to put the same focus on weights and caring for his body that he does on playing, according to GM and coach. I can't speak for anyone else but this is what I want to see. I want to see highlights of DeMar in the weight room, not another pick up game.

Hopefully he is putting his time in to the things that his GM and coach have been discussing as they both has vast more NBA experience than us as fans - and DeMar.
                        Further to the above, this is the type of highlights I would crave to see from DeMar:

I also forgot to mention that the summer is 20% over for the Raptors.

Comment

Amen

Comment

Alright, alright. I'm off on the jabs thing but you get the gist right? Who the hell cares what he's doing now? Like I said: Playing pick up in May isn't going to hurt his development. Most players take lots of down time in the summer, let their bodies and minds heal. Some eat their way through the summer, some drink their way through but the fact is that DD isn't hindering anything by playing pick up every couple of days. It'll help burn off some of that Roscoes he'll be munching on.

Besides, playing pick up will not prevent him from doing lots of work when he's not on the court. Doubt the cameras are following him into the weight room or watching him wander around dribbling.

I'm not fat but my ass is getting heavy. Mouse jockeying isn't easy on my rapidly aging frame ;P
                            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Further to the above, this is the type of highlights I would crave to see from DeMar:

I also forgot to mention that the summer is 20% over for the Raptors.
                              As would I but they at 2 very different points in their careers and DD just played 66 games. How many do they play in college? Besides, DD's coaching staff (the people who will be helping his development more than anyone else) are busy watching those kids go full tilt in workouts right now.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                                Alright, alright. I'm off on the jabs thing but you get the gist right? Who the hell cares what he's doing now? Like I said: Playing pick up in May isn't going to hurt his development. Most players take lots of down time in the summer, let their bodies and minds heal. Some eat their way through the summer, some drink their way through but the fact is that DD isn't hindering anything by playing pick up every couple of days. It'll help burn off some of that Roscoes he'll be munching on.

Besides, playing pick up will not prevent him from doing lots of work when he's not on the court. Doubt the cameras are following him into the weight room or watching him wander around dribbling.

I'm not fat but my ass is getting heavy. Mouse jockeying isn't easy on my rapidly aging frame ;P
                                hahaha - mouse jockeying.

I do get the gist.

My gist is the pick up ball is a waste of time in terms of his development. Fun? Yes. Productive? No.

I do hope he is hitting the weight room. Players do need downtime, no doubt, but at 22 years of age, a few weeks is sufficient - in my opinion and from the hazy memory of my 22 year old days. I think a lot of the comments opposed to Drew League are making the assumption he is not working on skills and pumping iron or doing CrossFit. As of right now this assumption is something we do not know but I am giving the benefit of the doubt.

Still think Drew League is a waste of time in his development.

Comment

Working...
                                X