View Poll Results: How do you feel about Demar in the Drew League?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stunts his Growth. Should be with the Coaches in Toronto.

    15 57.69%
  • No difference. Basketball is Basketball.

    10 38.46%
  • In Game situations against NBA talent trumps working in the Gym with Coaches.

    1 3.85%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Demar and Amir back at it, with the Drew League. Good thing? Bad thing?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Demar

    The difference this year, is that Demar will experience a full training camp under Casey, so any negative impact by so called pick-up Leagues can be negated.

    .

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    The drew league will do nothing in bettering yourself as a player. False sense of confidence and development of bad habits is all that will come from this.
    agreed 1000%

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Rookie Garbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's kind of like a doctor who gets a yearly sabbatical for training and chooses to skip his refresher courses to stay home and play "Operation" with his kids..
    Yes, it looks like basketball, but let's be real. I'm sure this isn't representative of all of the work he's putting in this off season. Demar's redeeming quality has always been his "intense work ethic" that everyone loved to talk about. I'm sure the Drew league isn't it.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's fine that we sit on our fat butts throwing jabs at him from our keyboards for not doing what we, in our vast NBA experience, think DeMar should be doing in his off time. As long as he doesn't come in to camp shaped like Oliver Miller or even Dirk (post chip) I could give a rats ass about Drew league. He has a full summer to work out, BC, Casey and the crew are prepping for the draft and only after that do I expect things to get serious for the players.

    Playing a little pick up in May will have little to no impact whatsoever come October. Short of an injury (knock on wood) of course.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    It's fine that we sit on our fat butts throwing jabs at him from our keyboards for not doing what we, in our vast NBA experience, think DeMar should be doing in his off time. As long as he doesn't come in to camp shaped like Oliver Miller or even Dirk (post chip) I could give a rats ass about Drew league. He has a full summer to work out, BC, Casey and the crew are prepping for the draft and only after that do I expect things to get serious for the players.

    Playing a little pick up in May will have little to no impact whatsoever come October. Short of an injury (knock on wood) of course.
    Who is throwing jabs? And I don't know about you but I'm not fat.

    There are lots of opinions being thrown, that is for sure.

    DeMar doesn't work for us but he does work for MLSE which relies on fan's (us) interest and entertainment money to pay the Raptor related bills - like salary.

    During the season BC and DC talked about the need for him to raise the bar in terms of honing his craft. He needs to put the same focus on weights and caring for his body that he does on playing, according to GM and coach. I can't speak for anyone else but this is what I want to see. I want to see highlights of DeMar in the weight room, not another pick up game.

    Hopefully he is putting his time in to the things that his GM and coach have been discussing as they both has vast more NBA experience than us as fans - and DeMar.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Who is throwing jabs? And I don't know about you but I'm not fat.

    There are lots of opinions being thrown, that is for sure.

    DeMar doesn't work for us but he does work for MLSE which relies on fan's (us) interest and entertainment money to pay the Raptor related bills - like salary.

    During the season BC and DC talked about the need for him to raise the bar in terms of honing his craft. He needs to put the same focus on weights and caring for his body that he does on playing, according to GM and coach. I can't speak for anyone else but this is what I want to see. I want to see highlights of DeMar in the weight room, not another pick up game.

    Hopefully he is putting his time in to the things that his GM and coach have been discussing as they both has vast more NBA experience than us as fans - and DeMar.
    Further to the above, this is the type of highlights I would crave to see from DeMar:



    I also forgot to mention that the summer is 20% over for the Raptors.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Rookie Garbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Amen

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Alright, alright. I'm off on the jabs thing but you get the gist right? Who the hell cares what he's doing now? Like I said: Playing pick up in May isn't going to hurt his development. Most players take lots of down time in the summer, let their bodies and minds heal. Some eat their way through the summer, some drink their way through but the fact is that DD isn't hindering anything by playing pick up every couple of days. It'll help burn off some of that Roscoes he'll be munching on.

    Besides, playing pick up will not prevent him from doing lots of work when he's not on the court. Doubt the cameras are following him into the weight room or watching him wander around dribbling.

    I'm not fat but my ass is getting heavy. Mouse jockeying isn't easy on my rapidly aging frame ;P

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Further to the above, this is the type of highlights I would crave to see from DeMar:



    I also forgot to mention that the summer is 20% over for the Raptors.
    As would I but they at 2 very different points in their careers and DD just played 66 games. How many do they play in college? Besides, DD's coaching staff (the people who will be helping his development more than anyone else) are busy watching those kids go full tilt in workouts right now.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    Alright, alright. I'm off on the jabs thing but you get the gist right? Who the hell cares what he's doing now? Like I said: Playing pick up in May isn't going to hurt his development. Most players take lots of down time in the summer, let their bodies and minds heal. Some eat their way through the summer, some drink their way through but the fact is that DD isn't hindering anything by playing pick up every couple of days. It'll help burn off some of that Roscoes he'll be munching on.

    Besides, playing pick up will not prevent him from doing lots of work when he's not on the court. Doubt the cameras are following him into the weight room or watching him wander around dribbling.

    I'm not fat but my ass is getting heavy. Mouse jockeying isn't easy on my rapidly aging frame ;P
    hahaha - mouse jockeying.

    I do get the gist.

    My gist is the pick up ball is a waste of time in terms of his development. Fun? Yes. Productive? No.

    I do hope he is hitting the weight room. Players do need downtime, no doubt, but at 22 years of age, a few weeks is sufficient - in my opinion and from the hazy memory of my 22 year old days. I think a lot of the comments opposed to Drew League are making the assumption he is not working on skills and pumping iron or doing CrossFit. As of right now this assumption is something we do not know but I am giving the benefit of the doubt.

    Still think Drew League is a waste of time in his development.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    778
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Still think Drew League is a waste of time in his development.
    Agreed.

    I guess the question of the thread is kinda out of whack with the direction the discussion has taken. Drew League is just what it is and not a "good" or "Bad" thing. More like an "irrelevant" thing IMO.

  12. #32
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote minks77 wrote: View Post
    Agreed.

    I guess the question of the thread is kinda out of whack with the direction the discussion has taken. Drew League is just what it is and not a "good" or "Bad" thing. More like an "irrelevant" thing IMO.
    I only fear it being a negative if he's playing in the Drew League when he could be doing something more productive. Taking some time off to rest, getting into the gym and working on fundamentals like dribbling long-range shooting just seem so much more necessary, that I worry blowing all that off to play pickup with his friends is giving insight (negatively) into his priorities and real work ethic. I hope it's just overreaction and that he's only playing Drew League ball in addition to all the stuff we Raptors fan expect him to be doing.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I only fear it being a negative if he's playing in the Drew League when he could be doing something more productive. Taking some time off to rest, getting into the gym and working on fundamentals like dribbling long-range shooting just seem so much more necessary, that I worry blowing all that off to play pickup with his friends is giving insight (negatively) into his priorities and real work ethic. I hope it's just overreaction and that he's only playing Drew League ball in addition to all the stuff we Raptors fan expect him to be doing.
    Ahhhh f*ck it.... I'm pissed now. Just trade the guy. What a bum.

    *joking*

  14. #34
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I worry blowing all that off to play pickup with his friends is giving insight (negatively) into his priorities and real work ethic. I hope it's just overreaction...
    I'm going to say thats just overreaction.
    I think its been made obvious by Demar himself, that he works hard at his craft, and his body, day-in and day-out.

    I don't think "having some fun with his friends" is a sign of anything except the fact that he loves to play ball.

    I can promise you he is in constant contact with BC and DC, and they have let him know what he needs to do this offseason.
    I bet they probably told his Mom and Dad too! And we all know how you don't cross the Derozan's.


    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Ahhhh f*ck it.... I'm pissed now. Just trade the guy. What a bum.

    *joking*
    HAHAHAHA
    In Masai we Trust.

  15. #35
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Also interesting that no one is pointing to the fact that James Harden was just as present in the Drew League as Demar was last year, and he turned out fine.


    Further to that point, why aren't we up in arms about Amir participating?
    I understand my question was about Demar, but is Amir not just as guilty?
    In Masai we Trust.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Also interesting that no one is pointing to the fact that James Harden was just as present in the Drew League as Demar was last year, and he turned out fine.


    Further to that point, why aren't we up in arms about Amir participating?
    I understand my question was about Demar, but is Amir not just as guilty?
    Harden has all the elements of his game most would like (or wish) DD to develop.

    Amir is what he is at this point, in my opinion.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    you guys should check demars twitter feed one in a while, I knew this about a month ago.....

  18. #38
    Super Moderator ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,057
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That means you could say the same thing for Dwane Casey to be in Toronto than being in New York representing in the Draft Lottery. All players need their time off at some point, and we should be happy that he is playing some basketball as of now.

    There is a time for the off-season work towards developing, and maybe Demar wants to spend his free time playing some basketball.

    Unless any of you know up, close and personal that Dwane Casey is telling him to work with him on his game, he's playing some basketball.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hate it when we draft guys that enjoy playing basketball.
    I would be more concerned if he was showing up in the Toronto area rec hockey leagues.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It sucks having basketball players who enjoy playing basketball. Demar, should improve his swimming stroke like Andrea....
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •