No announcement yet.

What would it take to get the #2 pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only do that trade for Maggette if we were going to amnesty him. That would make sense then.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
      I would only do that trade for Maggette if we were going to amnesty him. That would make sense then.
      Unfortunately you can't use the amnesty on a player you trade for. You can only amnesty a player that was signed and on your own roster the day the new CBA came into effect.

Comment

I would totally do this, and then amnesty Thomas the second the ink is stained. It'd make more sense if we swapped Kleiza for JJ since Charlotte is looking for young pieces and his contract is significantly smaller.

Also, we're gonna need Kleiza to teach JV some engrish and piss off some unsuspecting NBA players. Then we use that #2 pick to get MKG.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Unfortunately you can't use the amnesty on a player you trade for. You can only amnesty a player that was signed and on your own roster the day the new CBA came into effect.
          We can't amnesty him, but Maggette only has 1 year left on his contract. It's at about $11M next year so is a tad high, but it is an expiring contract. Much better than Tyrus Thomas' contract. If there is salary that Charlotte would want to unload, the only guy I'd want is Maggette.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            We can't amnesty him, but Maggette only has 1 year left on his contract. It's at about $11M next year so is a tad high, but it is an expiring contract. Much better than Tyrus Thomas' contract. If there is salary that Charlotte would want to unload, the only guy I'd want is Maggette.
            I guess the milllion dollar question is this: which type of trade would you rather make?

A) #8 pick & Davis & JJ --> #2 pick (Beal/MKG) & Maggette ($11M expiring contract)

or

B) #8 pick & Davis & JJ & DeRozan --> #25 pick & Rudy Gay

As much allure as there is with a draft pick, especially given how much we've discussed the draft on RR for the past couple months, I'd rather have Rudy Gay and the #25 pick (which could possibly be moved up with subsequent trades) than Beal/MKG and a year of wasting $11M on Maggette, even if doing so costs DeRozan (since #8 & Davis & JJ were included in both trades).

Comment

I guess the milllion dollar question is this: which type of trade would you rather make?

A) #8 pick & Davis & JJ --> #2 pick (Beal/MKG) & Maggette ($11M expiring contract)

or

B) #8 pick & Davis & JJ & DeRozan --> #25 pick & Rudy Gay

As much allure as there is with a draft pick, especially given how much we've discussed the draft on RR for the past couple months, I'd rather have Rudy Gay and the #25 pick (which could possibly be moved up with subsequent trades) than Beal/MKG and a year of wasting $11M on Maggette, even if doing so costs DeRozan (since #8 & Davis & JJ were included in both trades).

I agree.. I'd rather have Gay and #25. Beal/MKG are not a sure thing.. and Gay is a proven commodity. I like the idea of at least having one first rounder as well with that #25 pick.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I agree.. I'd rather have Gay and #25. Beal/MKG are not a sure thing.. and Gay is a proven commodity. I like the idea of at least having one first rounder as well with that #25 pick.
                The Raps could even package the #25 pick and their own #37 pick to get a mid-1st round pick. Or even use the #25 pick to swing another trade, who knows. I'd much rather use cap space to acquire Gay than wasting it paying Maggette's $11M salary even for one season, just to move up 7 spots.

Comment

Not sure of why trade up to #2? Who is there that you feel the need to give up Davis?

There is no slam dunk even at the #2 pick and unless you have a projected star that you are going to draft it doesn't make sense (MKG and Beal are no better than Lamb or Rivers), unless there is a big (Drummond) that you feel can be a difference maker down the road.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I have next year's pick earmarked for Myck Kabongo at #15.

lol - 8th seed in the east and a future PG - lol
                    Same here that would be a perfect scenario. We make the playoffs and get Kabongo

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                      Not sure of why trade up to #2? Who is there that you feel the need to give up Davis?

There is no slam dunk even at the #2 pick and unless you have a projected star that you are going to draft it doesn't make sense (MKG and Beal are no better than Lamb or Rivers), unless there is a big (Drummond) that you feel can be a difference maker down the road.
                      I think that's exactly the reasoning why most on here seem unwilling to giveup much to move up to the #2 slot. I expect that some team out there will pay handsomely to do so, if the rumors swirling around have any substance to them. I could see Cleveland offering #4 & #24 for #2 (they also have #33 & #34!)

On a related note, I wonder what it would take to get various other 1st round picks, especially if the Raps were to trade away the #8 pick. I'm specifically thinking of Portland (#6 & #11), Golden State (#7 & #30), New Orleans (#10), Houston (#14 & #16) and Boston (#21 & #22). I hope BC has lots of backup batteries for his blackberry!

Comment

#8, future 1st round unprotected and one of the talented young guys.

Comment

I think that's exactly the reasoning why most on here seem unwilling to giveup much to move up to the #2 slot. I expect that some team out there will pay handsomely to do so, if the rumors swirling around have any substance to them. I could see Cleveland offering #4 & #24 for #2 (they also have #33 & #34!)

On a related note, I wonder what it would take to get various other 1st round picks, especially if the Raps were to trade away the #8 pick. I'm specifically thinking of Portland (#6 & #11), Golden State (#7 & #30), New Orleans (#10), Houston (#14 & #16) and Boston (#21 & #22). I hope BC has lots of backup batteries for his blackberry!
                          One thing that Toronto has that Portland, GS, NO, Houston, Boston, Cleveland, Charlotte, and Washington do not have is cap space.

The Raptors can offer some SERIOUS financial flexibility along with a top 10 draft pick. The only other team who can say the same is Sacramento.

Comment

One thing that Toronto has that Portland, GS, NO, Houston, Boston, Cleveland, Charlotte, and Washington do not have is cap space.

The Raptors can offer some SERIOUS financial flexibility along with a top 10 draft pick. The only other team who can say the same is Sacramento.
                            You keep mentioning this Matt, and it doesn't always get a lot of traction with the other readers. but BC has definitely been throwing it out there. Every time he speaks to the media he mentions Toronto's flexibility. Now is he being cute, and doing that with no intention of using the space? Or is he just broadcasting to all and any that TO is ready to be a player in the financial manoeuvring of some cap strapped team?

Now that everybody knows where they are picking, step one is done. Step two is for some teams to fall in love with players they weren't really thinking about before, after watching the individual and group workouts.

I believe BC does something before July 1. I think he also gets who he wants in the draft. Maybe a draft night trade, like the Carter/Antawn trade?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                              You keep mentioning this Matt, and it doesn't always get a lot of traction with the other readers. but BC has definitely been throwing it out there. Every time he speaks to the media he mentions Toronto's flexibility. Now is he being cute, and doing that with no intention of using the space? Or is he just broadcasting to all and any that TO is ready to be a player in the financial manoeuvring of some cap strapped team?

Now that everybody knows where they are picking, step one is done. Step two is for some teams to fall in love with players they weren't really thinking about before, after watching the individual and group workouts.

I believe BC does something before July 1. I think he also gets who he wants in the draft. Maybe a draft night trade, like the Carter/Antawn trade?
                              I'm not sure what his plan is but I do hope he does something B-I-G.

The flexibility and 'assets' are great but unless he is going to use it, it is useless. I hope this was not hot air:

Colangelo is not just any general manager though, and we’ve all seen what he can do and is willing to do over the course of one summer when he sees the chance to vastly improve his team. This off-season should be no different.

Perhaps the greatest sign comes from a letter, addressed to season seat holders by Colangelo, in which he thanks seat holders and welcomes them to follow along for “what should be an exciting and active offseason.”

An average off-season to Bryan Colangelo is an active off-season to the average general manager. An “exciting and active” off-season to Colangelo, when you look at some of the off-seasons he’s had here in Toronto, leaves a lot to the imagination of Raptors fans.
                              If this off-season is not exciting and active then I am going to lose some of that shine I have for Colangelo. I've been upfront with the reality I could be labeled his fanboy so a grain of salt is needed with me. I hope he does not let me down..... lol, just me, no one else.

Comment

I'm not sure what his plan is but I do hope he does something B-I-G.

The flexibility and 'assets' are great but unless he is going to use it, it is useless. I hope this was not hot air:

If this off-season is not exciting and active then I am going to lose some of that shine I have for Colangelo. I've been upfront with the reality I could be labeled his fanboy so a grain of salt is needed with me. I hope he does not let me down..... lol, just me, no one else.
                                +1

I honestly don't believe that when push comes to shove we will be selecting 8th. I don't necessarily have a problem with picking 8th, because i think Lamb and Waiters are going to be solid, but I think based on what we've heard from the front office, how DC wants vets, I am expecting a move.

I believe that the raps have already targeted the players that they want in the draft, and other current NBA players who they want, and are just putting the packages together to go and get them. If BC does not make a move, it will be because he couldn't make it happen, and I will be really disappointed if he can't.

Comment

Working...
                                X