Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Insider: Jared Sullinger is the "best fit" for the Raptors

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESPN Insider: Jared Sullinger is the "best fit" for the Raptors

Not sure how much you want to trust a guy named Fran, but he says:

The Raptors could certainly use help at a number of spots, but I like them rebuilding their team with a front line that includes high-character Ohio State star Sullinger and 2011 first-round selection Jonas Valanciunas, the 6-11 Lithuanian 20-year-old who spent the past season playing in Europe.

Sullinger may not have the elite athleticism you'd want out of an NBA power forward, but he has always thrived on his toughness around the basket, his outstanding fundamentals and great basketball acumen. He drew an average of 6.1 fouls per 40 minutes this season and shoots a shade under 70 percent from the foul line. In a league full of undersized forwards, he'll get opponents in foul trouble.

Valanciunas, who dominated the Under-19 world championships last summer and who played well this season in EuroCup play, has some toughness of his own. His length and defensive potential at center will complement Sullinger's scoring and rebounding potential as well.

The two 20-year olds won't make the Raptors a playoff team, but it is a good start.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No way I'd go near a guy with 2 different length legs.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure why they feel he is a great fit, maybe if all our positions were locked up, but we have some holes to fill, and power forward is not one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I am not sure why they feel he is a great fit, maybe if all our positions were locked up, but we have some holes to fill, and power forward is not one of them.
    He feel he is a great fit because he knows nothing about the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

"Bargnani who?"

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be disappointed if we end up with a PF not named Thomas Robinson. If Sullinger is drafted I hope he or Ed or Amir are flipped right away for some more needed talent in the backcourt or SF. It would be insane to go into the season with such a logjam at PF.

Post Thanks / Like

We have too many Power forwards as it is, throw in James Johnson and Linas who play the 4 a bit in small ball and drafting a 4 is insane if there is not a trade on the table.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    BC wouldnt either.

This Fran lady is way off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    BC wouldnt either.

This Fran lady is way off.
    It's a dude, LOL.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Baller

Hey raps republic community! I'd agree sully is not the type of player I'd go for but I do see him going to GSW… they got clay Thompson as a small fwd curry point. I think they'll go with either lamb or sully. I think Barnes could drop to us … and we'll have to pick him if he drops just as Ed Davis dropped!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN has some good writers and some that just type their articles without any research, thought or preparation. This one would be the latter......
    With regards to the draft,
    I like Ford,
    I dislike Thorpe and Fran
    Gottieb seems to be a free thinker, I'm not sure on him yet....

Truth is in sports management, if they truly knew what they were talking about and doing, they'd have jobs in the league

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes...the Raptors need a Power Forward and those Canadiana's also need to get over that socialized health care thingy they do up there. Ahem, boy that can't be good because it takes three weeks in a waiting room before people will be seen for an amputation...

Yeah, lets listen to this guy.

Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toooo many Pf's! i know people are high on lillard or lamb or beal, but what about Austin Rivers? he could be that scorer we need off the bench, he might even turn into a decent pg......maybe not, but he could be barbosa. then we can gt rid of bayless who has not lived up to his potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rus wrote: View Post
    Truth is in sports management, if they truly knew what they were talking about and doing, they'd have jobs in the league
    Not really. Most NBA executives got to their current positions through connections or extensive experience in the league (e.g. as a player).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Oden alert.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    We have too many Power forwards as it is, throw in James Johnson and Linas who play the 4 a bit in small ball and drafting a 4 is insane if there is not a trade on the table.
    I concur with this statement whoever says we need to draft Sullinger hasn't watched enough raptors games lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Oden alert.
    Exactly.

And Sullinger has lost a lot of weight taking away his 'width' advantage when he was 290. Yet if he continues to play at 290 on 2 different length legs, well that doesn't bode well for his knees or hips.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

hey Sullinger has good rebounding skills, and a handful of post moves, hes more NBA ready than most PFs in this draft, hes not good for Toronto but hes good for Milwaukee or Houston etc.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default could there be a dumber article written?

Jared Sulinger is somewhere between Sean May and Marcus Fizer

Raps have a glut of power forwards - what a moron - sport writers should not smoke crack and then write articles about teams they just read up on.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not all for drafting Sullinger but I'm surprised at how negative the reaction is. Of the bigs in the draft he is the one that is likely to be ready to make an impact in his first year. He may not be athletic, but he gets position well and has excellent size. I for one would not be upset if the Raptors took him, he has the potential to be one of the NBA's premier post threats. My only issue with him is the injury report, apparently he had back spams and other things going on this year and if the whole only leg being longer thing is true, that is a bit of a red flag. If he checked out medically though, I actually think that adding a guy who might be able to contribute immediately would be good.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Thread Information