View Poll Results: Who is a "Core" piece going forward? (Pick as many you like)

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonas Valanciunas

46 92.00%
  • Andrea Bargnani

31 62.00%
  • Demar Derozan

22 44.00%
  • Jerryd Bayless

3 6.00%
  • Ed Davis

5 10.00%
  • Jose Calderon

9 18.00%
  • Amir Johnson

6 12.00%
  • James Johnson

9 18.00%
  • None of the above! We don't have any!

4 8.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who do you consider to be a "Core" piece going forward? Do we even have any?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    To me, a 'core' player would be a young, talented, nearly untradeable type player. 'Core' players don't have to be franchise players or even all-stars, just part of the core nucleus that the team will be built around going forward.

Core - would only be traded for a superstar:
    - Valanciunas

Core - would only be traded for an all-star calibur player:
    - Bargnani
    - DeRozan
    I highly doubt whether trading any of these players can fetch us an all-star caliber player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    I highly doubt whether trading any of these players can fetch us an all-star caliber player.
    Prime, haven't you been listening to Colangelo? GMs are always calling him telling him how awesone our draft picks are and how the Raps have several players that are highly coveted around the NBA. Heck, if we don't get an elite player back for any one of these guys I'll ahve to start questioning management's ability to make good trades. The only other possible option is that they're liars and surely that isn't the case, right?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Prime, haven't you been listening to Colangelo? GMs are always calling him telling him how awesone our draft picks are and how the Raps have several players that are highly coveted around the NBA. Heck, if we don't get an elite player back for any one of these guys I'll ahve to start questioning management's ability to make good trades. The only other possible option is that they're liars and surely that isn't the case, right?
    Media ask specific questions regarding players or personnel moves, what do you propose?

I don't suppose you expect politicians to be honest and forthcoming as well?

Anything a GM says is going to be spun positively for the organization. Nothing like killing a players trade value around the league by saying, "You know, I talk to the other 29 GM's and no one is interested in what we are shopping. I don't know what to do." Nothing like disengaging the franchise's by saying your #5 first round draft pick, who is not even coming over for a year, is nothing spectacular and nothing to get excited about.

Obviously Colangelo (or any other GM) is going to be pushing their team and players. They are essentially salesmen to the other GM's in the league and to the fan base.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who i THINK is the core - Bargnani, JV, DD, Calderon, Amir, JJ, Kleiza
    Who i WANT to be the core - Bargnani, JV, DD, Calderon, Bayless, Ed, JJ, Amir, Gray

I think what we sometimes neglect is that NBA winning teams are not just about talent. Would you rather have a team of superstars each trying to go their own way every night or, a team which has chemistry and plays hard every night? Its not about stockpiling your team with assets, but rather getting the players that fit the team's philosophy and objective. IMO, at this stage of the Raptors "rebuild", its more on getting the players that fit and filling the needs. And from there, its DC's job to get everybody on the same page, and play towards a common goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information