View Poll Results: What is your #1 concern with trading for Rudy Gay?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • His fit with the Raptors

3 8.33%
  • His talent and ability (or lack thereof)

1 2.78%
  • His contract

8 22.22%
  • Assets required to get him

24 66.67%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    It's the same premise. You're talking about giving up 50 cents to the dollar.
    Not really, I'm talking about providing one team with what they need (cap space) and what they want (young players). Just not every good young player on our roster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote AJ360 wrote: View Post
    If we were trying to get out of Valanciunas' burdensome contract and the fanbase had turned on him AND we performed worse in the playoffs with him AND that was the best offer, I might.
    Okay then, since you put it that way, the equivalency of that is trading Bargnani to Orlando for Earl Clark, Daniel Orton and he #19 pick. Some fans would support it, others would not, but in the end, we'd be getting 2 young players and cap space. But the value doesn't match up.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay then, since you put it that way, the equivalency of that is trading Bargnani to Orlando for Earl Clark, Daniel Orton and he #19 pick. Some fans would support it, others would not, but in the end, we'd be getting 2 young players and cap space. But the value doesn't match up.
    Mango: what team could provide Memphis with a return better than what Toronto could offer?

Post Thanks / Like

The reality is that the team who ends up with the best player GENERALLY wins the deal. More importantly, when a team wants to move said player, especially when the reason for moving the player is strictly financial, that team will invariably lose the trade from a talent perspective; however they would likely see it as a victory by the virtue of fulfilling their needs.

I won't deny the raptors would win this trade from the talent point of view, but they are surrendering a lot of assets including flexibility, which is why in my opinion, a trade involving the 8th pick and 2 young assets would be a fair deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Mango: what team could provide Memphis with a return better than what Toronto could offer?
    I don't get into the habit of conjuring up trades. You get caught up in it, you convince yourself that it's best for the franchise and when it doen't happen or the player of your affection goes elsewhere, there's either A: a lot of heartache or B: a lot of blaming/flaming the General Manager of your team because they didn't complete the trade you had conjured up.

I will say this though - the Grizz would be better off trading Randolph than Gay. Solid 4's are easier to find than solid-star swingmen.

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar