View Poll Results: What is your #1 concern with trading for Rudy Gay?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • His fit with the Raptors

3 8.33%
  • His talent and ability (or lack thereof)

1 2.78%
  • His contract

8 22.22%
  • Assets required to get him

24 66.67%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    looks like he is only worth 980 million. after 350 purchase leaves him with 630 left. might be one of the "poorer" owners in the league.
    I wish I was that "poor" lol. Man is almost a billionaire, and he's not even 35.

He's a young guy, which immediately tells me that he might be more on the risky side and wouldn't mind having a big payroll at first. He's a big fan of basketball, so I assume that he might give his current core another year together. I could be wrong, but if I was in his position, I wouldn't mind a year of taking a shot at a serious run, knowing it will be my first year as an owner.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Haha!

Ok, so we have been acting as though we had an advantage, hence our fair/ideal offer of: Davis & JJ & #8 & #37 for Gay & #25.

What if we flipped that to a fair/ideal offer from Memphis, who still saw benefit of trading Gay: DeRozan & Davis & JJ & #8 & #37 for Gay? Toronto adds DeRozan to the deal and Memphis takes #25 out of the deal. That would give Memphis 2 additional assets (starting SF and additional 1st round pick), while still enabling them to save about $8M next season (enough to re-sign Mayo & Speights?).

What are your thoughts about that trade? Both from Memphis' and Toronto's perspectives? Still a good deal for the Raptors, or is the price suddenly too high?
    Yeah, that is too rich for my blood. I'm not very high on DeRozan, but I see value in him as an asset. I'd prefer a trade that doesn't include both DeRozan and our 8th pick.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

..unless it was for the #2 pick.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ..unless it was for the #2 pick.
    Yes, I would definitely reconsider if the 2nd pick was up for grabs. But I was specifically talking about a trade with Memphis.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Re Mayo, reading some posts on a Grizz site I understand that coach Hollins was reducing his mins and had him on the bench at crucial times in the LAC series. Mayo really wants out of Memphis and thinks of himself as a starter (Allen is starting) and even a PG apparently (maybe he is pushing this idea to make his conditions to stay a bit difficult). What is adding to this is he didnt have a particularly good season and a worse shooting playoffs. Which gets me thinking......(he is a RFA and the Grizz may not match).
    Most Memphis fans feel that Mayo played poorly in reg season & playoffs because Hollins "screwed around" with his minutes. Considering he was almost traded twice (once for McRoberts?) shows how much confidence they have in him. Unless they move Gay, any offer of $7 plus mil -they will not match. Would Mayo sign for $7 mil. Don't know.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Minnesota is really interesting. I had not thought of that before.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7mfdurs

Last year's #2 in Derrick Williams (new SF), Ridnour (back up PG), Miller (only $500k guaranteed, alreasy announced retirement - financial flexibility), and #18.

*EDIT*

If memory serves correct it was the Wolves who put the pressure on the Grizz to sign Gay to the max contract - if the Grizz didn't the Wolves would.
    I honestly don't see how we can compete with this offer. Was Williams such a disaster in his first year? Is he pregnant?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I also said this in the original post.
    You are correct. I was merely clarifying/concurring Memphis/Sacramento issue, without clearly elucidating.
    My apology. I did state that your opening was very analytical, detailed and just well done.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mapko wrote: View Post
    Most Memphis fans feel that Mayo played poorly in reg season & playoffs because Hollins "screwed around" with his minutes. Considering he was almost traded twice (once for McRoberts?) shows how much confidence they have in him. Unless they move Gay, any offer of $7 plus mil -they will not match. Would Mayo sign for $7 mil. Don't know.
    This is off topic. I noticed your location and have to ask if you know of (or indeed seen) the Vlade Divac film "Once Brothers" which is mainly about the Yugoslav BB team and in particular his close relationship with Drazen Petrovic (a Croat as you know). This of course all came apart as a result of the unfortunate events/breakup of Yugoslavia. It was a very sad film on many levels incl. the premature death of DP. I caught it on a local sports channel in Canada showing ESPN programming.

Post Thanks / Like

Communications magnate Robert J. Pera just agreed a fee to buy the Memphis Grizzlies earlier this week, but already his bid looks to be in trouble. A rough week at the market for Pera’s communications technology firm Ubiquiti networks is to blame, according to a report from the New York Daily News.

Ubiquiti’s stock has fallen precipitously over the last two weeks, a drop that affects not just the company but also Pera’s personal net worth. Valued at nearly $1 billion just two weeks ago, Pera is now believed to sit closer to $200 million, less than the $350 million he bid for the Grizzlies. If Pera’s bid does fall apart, current owner Michael Heisley will retain control of the team.

http://tracking.si.com/2012/06/17/me...-sale-trouble/
    Rough week for Pera.

Anyone else happy by this news?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rough week for Pera.

Anyone else happy by this news?
    Hee Hee Hee

Hello Rudy?

PS Man how would you like to lose $800 million in a couple of weeks? And now be stuck with a stinking $200 million?

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Degrees of disappointment I suppose. And some of us get despondent because we dont have the 4th pick in the draft!

Gay may well be back in play....and possibly cheaper?

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. $800 million in a week?

I'm happy for selfish reasons, but man, that sucks.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Like a pitbull on an ankle, I just can't let it go!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7czovw2

Toronto: Gay, Selby
    Memphis*: Calderon, ED, Wright, Rush (sign and trade from Golden State), DD
    Golden State: James Johnson

*Sign and trade Bayless instead of Calderon, include Gray in S&T if necessary

Memphis has an agreement with Speights. ED and Speights become back bigs. Wright and Rush provide the outside shooting/spacing needed to give Gasol and Randolph space. Calderon mans the second unit and can start on any given night if necessary, is an expiring contract, and allows Wroten his first year to develop and acclimatize to the NBA.

James Johnson is a nice compliment to the wings already in GS.

Toronto gets a star wing. Selby is a third string PG with upside and potential (top 10 high school recruit just 2 years ago).

Raptors lineup:

PG: Lowry, Bayless, Selby
    SG: Fields, Ross
    SF: Gay, LK
    PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
    C: JV, Gray, Magloire

I like this. Very much I do. Lots of versatility with:

Bayless 1/2
    Fields 2/3
    DeRozan 2/3
    Ross 2/3
    LK 3/4
    Amir 4/5
    Bargnani 4/5
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Jul 6th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

we need gay. even the t-wolves are making moves and are a better team than us!
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt you got me all excited to see a new post in this thread, hoping it was some sort of rumor! Gay would be the perfect fit for this Raptors team, as he is young, provides the skillset that is most lacking and plays the position that is the weakest among the starting unit.

BC certainly has assets at his disposal to make a legit run at him, though it may require a 3rd or 4th team to make it match up with Memphis' needs.

Assets to pursue Gay:
    - DeRozan
    - Calderon
    - Bayless (S&T)
    - J.Johnson
    - Amir/Davis
    - 2013 2nd round pick
    - rights to Zubcic
    - maybe even a future 1st round pick that is conditional on the conditional pick traded to Houston (ie: if 2013 pick goes to Houston, then 2015 pick would go to Memphis? I think I've seen picks traded like this, but not entirely sure)
    - ability to provide significant savings to Memphis (even if over the cap, Toronto only needs to trade away approx. $13.1M to take on Gay's $16.46M contract
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 6th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thing with Gay, when guys like Lowry, Ross, JV and such gotta get paid (probably all within the same couple years or so no?) are we going to be able to?

if we can then by all means, but if you're going to have to run with a skeleton crew of parts is it really worth it?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    thing with Gay, when guys like Lowry, Ross, JV and such gotta get paid (probably all within the same couple years or so no?) are we going to be able to?

if we can then by all means, but if you're going to have to run with a skeleton crew of parts is it really worth it?
    The only concern would be Lowry.

Ross and JV are on rookie deals for 1 season beyond the end of Gay's current contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Like a pitbull on an ankle, I just can't let it go!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7czovw2

Toronto: Gay, Selby
    Memphis*: Calderon, ED, Wright, Rush (sign and trade from Golden State), DD
    Golden State: James Johnson
    I actually see potential for these 3 teams to be able to work together. If Memphis is happy with Wroten as their backup, I wonder if GS would like Bayless as an up-tempo backup PG?

I put together a slight variation: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wa3q6a (I used Kleiza just to account for Bayless' salary)

Toronto: Gay
    Memphis: DeRozan, J.Johnson, Wright, Jenkins
    Golden State: Davis, Bayless

Memphis
    - DeRozan would replace Mayo as the starting SG, becoming the offensive half of their SG pairing (Allen)
    - Wright and JJ would replace Gay, forming an offensive/defensive pairing at the SF position
    - Jenkins was only added to make salaries match for GS (1 yr / $762k)
    - conditional future 1st round pick from Toronto, if possible
    - 2nd round pick from Golden State
    - save $5.45M next season

Golden State
    - Davis becomes their backup PF, behind Lee
    - Bayless becomes their backup PG, behind Curry
    - would only add about $2M salary next season (depends on Bayless' contract)
    - still have Barnes & Jefferson at SF, so Wright is expendable

Toronto
    - Bayless & JJ are completely expendable
    - Gay/Kleiza at SF & Fields/Ross at SG made DeRozan expendable
    - if the trade is made after Toronto is over the cap, Bayless would need to sign for at least $4.74M (to send out enough salary to allow trade to work under the "(outgoing salary * 1.25) + $100k" rule
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 6th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I actually see potential for these 3 teams to be able to work together. If Memphis is happy with Wroten as their backup, I wonder if GS would like Bayless as an up-tempo backup PG?

I put together a slight variation: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wa3q6a (I used Kleiza just to account for Bayless' salary)

Toronto: Gay
    Memphis: DeRozan, J.Johnson, Wright, Jenkins
    Golden State: Davis, Bayless

Memphis
    - DeRozan would replace Mayo as the starting SG, becoming the offensive half of their SG pairing (Allen)
    - Wright and JJ would replace Gay, forming an offensive/defensive pairing at the SF position
    - Jenkins was only added to make salaries match for GS (1 yr / $762k)
    - conditional future 1st round pick from Toronto, if possible
    - 2nd round pick from Golden State
    - save $5.45M next season

Golden State
    - Davis becomes their backup PF, behind Lee
    - Bayless becomes their backup PG, behind Curry
    - would only add about $2M salary next season (depends on Bayless' contract)
    - still have Barnes & Jefferson at SF, so Wright is expendable

Toronto
    - Bayless & JJ are completely expendable
    - Gay/Kleiza at SF & Fields/Ross at SG made DeRozan expendable
    - if the trade is made after Toronto is over the cap, Bayless would need to sign for at least $4.74M (to send out enough salary to allow trade to work under the "(outgoing salary * 1.25) + $100k" rule
    I think Memphis needs shooters and proven PG in second unit.
    DeRozan starting with Allen is not good for spacing for Gasol and Randolph.
    I see DD filling the 6th man that Mayo has played the majority of the last 2 seasons.

It was reported that Rush around $4M or more is not going to happen in GS and they want Wright gone, supposedly.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Memphis needs shooters and proven PG in second unit.
    DeRozan starting with Allen is not good for spacing for Gasol and Randolph.
    I see DD filling the 6th man that Mayo has played the majority of the last 2 seasons.

It was reported that Rush around $4M or more is not going to happen in GS and they want Wright gone, supposedly.
    My deal was based on Memphis being happy with Wroten as their backup PG. If not, then you're absolutely right that 1 year of Calderon could very well be attractive to them.

I figured that Wright (SF - offensive) would start with Allen (SG - defensive), with Johnson (SF - defensive) and DeRozan (SG - offensive) coming off the bench.

Just like before, it all comes down to whether or not Memphis even wants to look at moving Gay. I would hope BC would be the first GM on the phone to Memphis if they did decide to move him.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread Information