Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degrees of disappointment I suppose. And some of us get despondent because we dont have the 4th pick in the draft!

Gay may well be back in play....and possibly cheaper?

Comment

• Wow. $800 million in a week?

I'm happy for selfish reasons, but man, that sucks.
      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Like a pitbull on an ankle, I just can't let it go!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7czovw2

Toronto: Gay, Selby
        Memphis*: Calderon, ED, Wright, Rush (sign and trade from Golden State), DD
        Golden State: James Johnson

*Sign and trade Bayless instead of Calderon, include Gray in S&T if necessary

Memphis has an agreement with Speights. ED and Speights become back bigs. Wright and Rush provide the outside shooting/spacing needed to give Gasol and Randolph space. Calderon mans the second unit and can start on any given night if necessary, is an expiring contract, and allows Wroten his first year to develop and acclimatize to the NBA.

James Johnson is a nice compliment to the wings already in GS.

Toronto gets a star wing. Selby is a third string PG with upside and potential (top 10 high school recruit just 2 years ago).

Raptors lineup:

PG: Lowry, Bayless, Selby
        SG: Fields, Ross
        SF: Gay, LK
        PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
        C: JV, Gray, Magloire

I like this. Very much I do. Lots of versatility with:

Bayless 1/2
        Fields 2/3
        DeRozan 2/3
        Ross 2/3
        LK 3/4
        Amir 4/5
        Bargnani 4/5
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 09:55 AM.

Comment

• we need gay. even the t-wolves are making moves and are a better team than us!
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Matt you got me all excited to see a new post in this thread, hoping it was some sort of rumor! Gay would be the perfect fit for this Raptors team, as he is young, provides the skillset that is most lacking and plays the position that is the weakest among the starting unit.

BC certainly has assets at his disposal to make a legit run at him, though it may require a 3rd or 4th team to make it match up with Memphis' needs.

Assets to pursue Gay:
            - DeRozan
            - Calderon
            - Bayless (S&T)
            - J.Johnson
            - Amir/Davis
            - 2013 2nd round pick
            - rights to Zubcic
            - maybe even a future 1st round pick that is conditional on the conditional pick traded to Houston (ie: if 2013 pick goes to Houston, then 2015 pick would go to Memphis? I think I've seen picks traded like this, but not entirely sure)
            - ability to provide significant savings to Memphis (even if over the cap, Toronto only needs to trade away approx. $13.1M to take on Gay's $16.46M contract
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• thing with Gay, when guys like Lowry, Ross, JV and such gotta get paid (probably all within the same couple years or so no?) are we going to be able to?

if we can then by all means, but if you're going to have to run with a skeleton crew of parts is it really worth it?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                thing with Gay, when guys like Lowry, Ross, JV and such gotta get paid (probably all within the same couple years or so no?) are we going to be able to?

if we can then by all means, but if you're going to have to run with a skeleton crew of parts is it really worth it?
                The only concern would be Lowry.

Ross and JV are on rookie deals for 1 season beyond the end of Gay's current contract.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Like a pitbull on an ankle, I just can't let it go!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7czovw2

Toronto: Gay, Selby
                  Memphis*: Calderon, ED, Wright, Rush (sign and trade from Golden State), DD
                  Golden State: James Johnson
                  I actually see potential for these 3 teams to be able to work together. If Memphis is happy with Wroten as their backup, I wonder if GS would like Bayless as an up-tempo backup PG?

I put together a slight variation: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wa3q6a (I used Kleiza just to account for Bayless' salary)

Toronto: Gay
                  Memphis: DeRozan, J.Johnson, Wright, Jenkins
                  Golden State: Davis, Bayless

Memphis
                  - DeRozan would replace Mayo as the starting SG, becoming the offensive half of their SG pairing (Allen)
                  - Wright and JJ would replace Gay, forming an offensive/defensive pairing at the SF position
                  - Jenkins was only added to make salaries match for GS (1 yr / $762k)
                  - conditional future 1st round pick from Toronto, if possible
                  - 2nd round pick from Golden State
                  - save $5.45M next season

Golden State
                  - Davis becomes their backup PF, behind Lee
                  - Bayless becomes their backup PG, behind Curry
                  - would only add about $2M salary next season (depends on Bayless' contract)
                  - still have Barnes & Jefferson at SF, so Wright is expendable

Toronto
                  - Bayless & JJ are completely expendable
                  - Gay/Kleiza at SF & Fields/Ross at SG made DeRozan expendable
                  - if the trade is made after Toronto is over the cap, Bayless would need to sign for at least $4.74M (to send out enough salary to allow trade to work under the "(outgoing salary * 1.25) + $100k" rule
                  Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I actually see potential for these 3 teams to be able to work together. If Memphis is happy with Wroten as their backup, I wonder if GS would like Bayless as an up-tempo backup PG?

I put together a slight variation: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7wa3q6a (I used Kleiza just to account for Bayless' salary)

Toronto: Gay
                    Memphis: DeRozan, J.Johnson, Wright, Jenkins
                    Golden State: Davis, Bayless

Memphis
                    - DeRozan would replace Mayo as the starting SG, becoming the offensive half of their SG pairing (Allen)
                    - Wright and JJ would replace Gay, forming an offensive/defensive pairing at the SF position
                    - Jenkins was only added to make salaries match for GS (1 yr / $762k)
                    - conditional future 1st round pick from Toronto, if possible
                    - 2nd round pick from Golden State
                    - save $5.45M next season

Golden State
                    - Davis becomes their backup PF, behind Lee
                    - Bayless becomes their backup PG, behind Curry
                    - would only add about $2M salary next season (depends on Bayless' contract)
                    - still have Barnes & Jefferson at SF, so Wright is expendable

Toronto
                    - Bayless & JJ are completely expendable
                    - Gay/Kleiza at SF & Fields/Ross at SG made DeRozan expendable
                    - if the trade is made after Toronto is over the cap, Bayless would need to sign for at least $4.74M (to send out enough salary to allow trade to work under the "(outgoing salary * 1.25) + $100k" rule
                    I think Memphis needs shooters and proven PG in second unit.
                    DeRozan starting with Allen is not good for spacing for Gasol and Randolph.
                    I see DD filling the 6th man that Mayo has played the majority of the last 2 seasons.

It was reported that Rush around $4M or more is not going to happen in GS and they want Wright gone, supposedly.

Comment

I think Memphis needs shooters and proven PG in second unit.
                      DeRozan starting with Allen is not good for spacing for Gasol and Randolph.
                      I see DD filling the 6th man that Mayo has played the majority of the last 2 seasons.

It was reported that Rush around $4M or more is not going to happen in GS and they want Wright gone, supposedly.
                      My deal was based on Memphis being happy with Wroten as their backup PG. If not, then you're absolutely right that 1 year of Calderon could very well be attractive to them.

I figured that Wright (SF - offensive) would start with Allen (SG - defensive), with Johnson (SF - defensive) and DeRozan (SG - offensive) coming off the bench.

Just like before, it all comes down to whether or not Memphis even wants to look at moving Gay. I would hope BC would be the first GM on the phone to Memphis if they did decide to move him.

Comment

• For those keeping track of the Grizzlies off season expenditures, they are now a luxury tax payer.

http://shamsports.com/content/pages/.../grizzlies.jsp

They have a payroll of $71.042M which includes the 2 year deals with 2nd year team option for Speights and Arthur at $3.5M/$5.0M.

Wroten has a cap hold of $925K but just about every single rookie signs for the max allowed of 120% of rookie scale so that is $1.11M. MEM tried to hold out on Xavier Henry a few years ago but they eventually signed for the 120%.

So the payroll is actually $72.152M and that is luxury tax territory.

The Grizz would have until June 30, 2013 to get below the tax.

However, they still do not have a reliable backup PG and are lacking the shooters needed to open the inside for Randolph and Gasol i.e. all the same problems of last year.

Comment

For those keeping track of the Grizzlies off season expenditures, they are now a luxury tax payer.

http://shamsports.com/content/pages/.../grizzlies.jsp

They have a payroll of $71.042M which includes the 2 year deals with 2nd year team option for Speights and Arthur at $3.5M/$5.0M.

Wroten has a cap hold of $925K but just about every single rookie signs for the max allowed of 120% of rookie scale so that is $1.11M. MEM tried to hold out on Xavier Henry a few years ago but they eventually signed for the 120%.

So the payroll is actually $72.152M and that is luxury tax territory.

The Grizz would have until June 30, 2013 to get below the tax.

However, they still do not have a reliable backup PG and are lacking the shooters needed to open the inside for Randolph and Gasol i.e. all the same problems of last year.
                          The contract for Arthur is 3 years and $9M.

With signing of Bayless, Grizz still in luxury tax.

Comment

• But the question is, does the new owner mind paying luxury taxes?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              But the question is, does the new owner mind paying luxury taxes?
                              Exactly.

As Detroit showed, when a team is in the sale process, almost nothing happens.

Comment

• Rough day for prospective new Grizzlies owner:

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell

Prospective Grizzlies owner Robert Pera lost $365 million today http://sprts.bz/PeraLoss
                                With what he lost today, he could of just bought the team and paid 40% of the payroll for this upcoming season! Gives new meaning to rough day at the office.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dol...loses-millions

Comment

Working...
                                X