Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    From what I've read over a few Grizzlies forums is that Memphis doesn't necessarily have to trade Gay as they are not over the luxury tax threshold. But if they were to trade Gay, it would be to address any needs they have (2-guard, maybe a SF, backup big, back up PG).
    As soon as Memphis makes the qualifying offers to Mayo, Speights, and Arthur, they are over the luxury tax.

They have $63.4M tied up in 9 players. They can't even give a full MLE and fill out the roster with minimum contracts without going over the luxury tax.

From what I have read from Memphis blogs, many have little to no understanding of the salary cap vs. luxury tax and seem to be in denial about the comments made by Heisley regarding not being in the luxury tax business.

Also, taking back nearly $12M less in salary gives Memphis the opportunity to acquire said pieces in free agency and extend their own players that fill some of those needs as the roster currently stands for '12-13.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
      That doesn't make sense. Why does Memphis include their #25 pick? They have no reason to. They're looking for cheap,young talent and to fill holes. The #25 pick is part of that solution for them.
      So, let me get this straight. Toronto sends their awful package of James Johnson, Ed Davis and a #8 pick for Gay AND the #25 pick? Has anyone gauged what the good folks over at any Memphis fan forums feel? Every single one I've been to feel that in order for any deal to happen, DeRozan and the #8 pick would have to be included as part of the package. I'd be inclined to think so too.
      I don't know. I'm not in the possible negotiations. It is not like Memphis is not getting considerable financial relief. Maybe Toronto throws in $3M or 2nd round pick(s) or a future 1st. Maybe Memphis saves another guaranteed contract on a player or pick they might not necessarily want to begin with. #25 was brought up in these threads and it was also mentioned by Chisholm - probably got in my head there. Alex Kennedy at HW.com was talking about many non-lottery teams looking to dump their pick due to the guaranteed contract and the implications with the new CBA. Memphis is a in a win now mode - very rarely does a #25 pick help win now.

Actually I have read some Memphis blogs. I even made a few posts a last week to gauge interest before I wrote up the original post in this thread - which was done before this hit the media in the last 2 days.

I don't disagree that DeRozan should be included in any deal along with #8. However, Memphis is not negotiating from a position of power. Yes they have Gay. Yes BC wants Gay. But BC has nearly $12M in cap space and Memphis wants the financial relief. Also DeRozan is up for an extension this year and signing him puts them back in the same situation next year with the luxury tax implications assuming they use cap space to fill their needs of PG, back up bigs, a new SF, and 3 pt shooting/bench scoring. Finally, DeRozan and Allen (who is crazy and one of the best contracts in the league) would be a nightmare for spacing given that Memphis' offence without Gay would be low post centered with Randolph and Gasol.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
        Trust there is need for hashtags.

Sure adding Gay alone would do that. But, I don't think you are putting into account that the raptors need to prove they are serious in order to draw other top players.

Adding Gay would give further enticement for nash.

Bottom line:

Gay is not the puzzle. He is a piece.
        I maintain that Nash is going to make a decision to come to Toronto completely independent from what Gay decides to do. I can almost promise you that.

Secondly, drawing other top players becomes harder to do when you're squandering your cap room to bring in a guy that has never made the all star team but will be taking $20 million by the time his deal is done.

Everyone came to the consensus that the Raptors were better off not paying Bosh, a fringe superstar at the very best, but yet you want to acquire a lesser player (a fringe all star in this case) and pay him even more money? Maybe we have vastly different opinions on the type of impact that Gay will have here but that seems silly to me.

Like I said earlier, there's a reason that Rudy Gay is available in the first place and it's because the Grizzlies have realized that they grossly overpaid for him. I don't want the Raptors to ship off a bunch of assets just so they can be the ones to have that dubious honour next.
        Last edited by Fully; Fri Jun 8, 2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• And there is no way that JJ/Davis/#8 gets a deal done with Memphis for Gay alone, never mind the #25 pick coming back too.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
            And there is no way that JJ/Davis/#8 gets a deal done with Memphis for Gay alone, never mind the #25 pick coming back too.
            You are probably right.

But a deal of...

JJ
            Davis
            Mayo (or sign and trade him for asset(s))
            Speights
            Arthur
            veteran backup PG
            back up C

.... all without hitting the luxury tax would probably get it done.

Comment

• Rumours are swirling that Charlotte is offering #2 to get Gay. That sounds great and certainly better than #8.

Unless the deal is made after July 1st, the problem remains money.

Also, Charlotte is going to want to package Diop or Thomas in any trade.

Memphis taking back a bloated contract does not seem to fit with what they are trying to do (keep current free agents and add depth).

Comment

• Yes, but, if they could get a third team.
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                  Yes, but, if they could get a third team.
                  True but then a third team isn't helping out out of the goodness of their heart. What does Charlotte or Memphis have to entice a 3rd team?

Actually, something I just realized, if they wait until after July 1st, DJ Augustin could be sign and traded. It would require his approval.

However the killer, in my opinion, to this deal will be the rumour that Thomas/Diop has to be included.

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                    Can we pause to put some things in perspective?

For the life of me, I just can't understand all the warmongering and gnashing of teeth about "scrapping the plan after 1 year." For starters, don't give me this bull about "we've only been rebuilding for 1 year." We have been crap and we have been accumulating the according dividends of crappyness for several years now.

Secondly, what is meant by scrapping the plan?? As Chisholm notes (in a fantastic article btw -- thanks Matt) you HAVE to make a move at some point, you just have to. There is no such thing as a purely sedentary team that just accumulates lottery pick after lottery pick indefinitely until it all of a sudden jumps from the slum of the league to the conference title. There is a middle ground, and unless you are the Miami Heat or the Boston Celtics you MUST traverse it. Hence acquiring a significant upgrade in talent by leveraging something other than, or in addition to, talent (its worth noting, anecdotally, that there is a reason why BC is always so damn smug when he talks about his flexibility this off-season, and the assets he has to work with -- guess what? They're one and the same thing. As nice as it is to think of JJ and Amir as significant assets, they really aren't; it's our ability to eat up salary that is currently most valuable to other teams - read: Memphis.)

Does improving to an average or above average team with the acquisition of Gay (I'll leave it at just Gay for the sake of argument - needless to say though, his acquisition certainly doesn't preclude more moves) mean we are doomed to mediocrity? I certainly don't think so. First, each of our core players has room to improve over the next few years, second, our draft picks aren't going anywhere, so if we are in fact middle of the pack and not superb next year, we still get a reasonable asset - some of you are making it out to sound like we're creating a self-imposed life long ban on drafting by trading ONE draft pick. Third, while we won't have tons of money to sign people next year (not that we'd have tons if we stayed the course either, things get interesting for everyone next year cap-wise) we'll have enough (e.g. MLE), but more importantly, we'll have a team worth coming to. No one wants to sign with a team gunning for their 7th consecutive lottery pick.

Ultimately, right now we have a chance to leverage a temporary asset for something real and significant, partly due to our circumstances and partly due to Memphis'. If we let this pass, I think we'll find ourselves in a much worse position, not just in the short term, but the long term as well.

To those of you wanting to "stay the course": what is the course? Not just in method, but in result. What do you realistically see for this team's future if it doesn't make a move this summer? Personally, I see something like the Kings or Wolves, with a little more discipline and a little less talent, and it doesn't look pretty.
                    I'm glad I resisted the urge to scroll past this novel. Great post!

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                      Can we pause to put some things in perspective?

For the life of me, I just can't understand all the warmongering and gnashing of teeth about "scrapping the plan after 1 year." For starters, don't give me this bull about "we've only been rebuilding for 1 year." We have been crap and we have been accumulating the according dividends of crappyness for several years now.

Secondly, what is meant by scrapping the plan?? As Chisholm notes (in a fantastic article btw -- thanks Matt) you HAVE to make a move at some point, you just have to. There is no such thing as a purely sedentary team that just accumulates lottery pick after lottery pick indefinitely until it all of a sudden jumps from the slum of the league to the conference title. There is a middle ground, and unless you are the Miami Heat or the Boston Celtics you MUST traverse it. Hence acquiring a significant upgrade in talent by leveraging something other than, or in addition to, talent (its worth noting, anecdotally, that there is a reason why BC is always so damn smug when he talks about his flexibility this off-season, and the assets he has to work with -- guess what? They're one and the same thing. As nice as it is to think of JJ and Amir as significant assets, they really aren't; it's our ability to eat up salary that is currently most valuable to other teams - read: Memphis.)

Does improving to an average or above average team with the acquisition of Gay (I'll leave it at just Gay for the sake of argument - needless to say though, his acquisition certainly doesn't preclude more moves) mean we are doomed to mediocrity? I certainly don't think so. First, each of our core players has room to improve over the next few years, second, our draft picks aren't going anywhere, so if we are in fact middle of the pack and not superb next year, we still get a reasonable asset - some of you are making it out to sound like we're creating a self-imposed life long ban on drafting by trading ONE draft pick. Third, while we won't have tons of money to sign people next year (not that we'd have tons if we stayed the course either, things get interesting for everyone next year cap-wise) we'll have enough (e.g. MLE), but more importantly, we'll have a team worth coming to. No one wants to sign with a team gunning for their 7th consecutive lottery pick.

Ultimately, right now we have a chance to leverage a temporary asset for something real and significant, partly due to our circumstances and partly due to Memphis'. If we let this pass, I think we'll find ourselves in a much worse position, not just in the short term, but the long term as well.

To those of you wanting to "stay the course": what is the course? Not just in method, but in result. What do you realistically see for this team's future if it doesn't make a move this summer? Personally, I see something like the Kings or Wolves, with a little more discipline and a little less talent, and it doesn't look pretty.
                      That last paragraph is gold.

Comment

• A Memphis fan-site perspective on trading Gay:
                        http://www.3sob.com/2012/june-2012/w...rudy-gay/3641/

Some fans seem to be on board with trading Gay to Toronto for some of our pieces. This could end up being a win-win for both clubs and fans. Of course not all fans are in agreement.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          A Memphis fan-site perspective on trading Gay:

Some fans seem to be on board with trading Gay to Toronto for some of our pieces. This could end up being a win-win for both clubs and fans. Of course not all fans are in agreement.
                          Thanks for the link. I posted a trade idea message under the name "Realist", to hopefully drum up some conversation/feedback about the idea that we've been discussing here on RR.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            this novel.
                            Yeeeea, that's a bad habit of mine. Let's put it this way, the paucity of my post count belies the number of words (and time) I've spent on this site.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              A Memphis fan-site perspective on trading Gay:

How awesome would it be if team management was a democracy. Two representative (quality, of course -- hence RR) fansites barter for a trade, hammer out the details, and message the head office for confirmation. Then again, we'd be at risk of tyrannising the minority...but isn't that what most GM's already do?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                True but then a third team isn't helping out out of the goodness of their heart. What does Charlotte or Memphis have to entice a 3rd team?

Actually, something I just realized, if they wait until after July 1st, DJ Augustin could be sign and traded. It would require his approval.

However the killer, in my opinion, to this deal will be the rumour that Thomas/Diop has to be included.
                                it's like the you scratch my back, i scratch yours. Everybody wants something.

it's like that one trade in money ball. Where billy beane asks the guy to fill his pop machine for a year.

I do this for you know if you take diop and the big payoff comes later.
                                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                                X