Sign me up. As low risk as taking on a max contract can be...As is, you are getting an elite wing player who still has room to improve. Gay and Demar on the break, call it lob city north
Toronto with R.Gay, playoff bound with hope
Toronto without R.Gay, I'm checking out the 2013 draft lottery rankings in December just like I did this year......
I vote Rudy
I just wet myself thinking about a JV block to a Rudy Gay lob on the other end
I keep going back and forth on whether I would do a Mayo trade...
IF you could swing a deal for JJ or Kleiza + Amir or Ed Davis + No 8 and/or future protected first round pick/traded picks, I think I would do with it
a line up of
pretty much any pg pairing (Bayless?)
Gay/Kleiza or JJ
Bargs/Amir or Davis
I think would have a nice balance, especially if we could convince memphis to take Kleiza instead of JJ. I think should be relatively easy and cheap to find backups at the C spot (Gray?) and shooting guard (Bayless?)
If we include Derozan, I'm worried that we don't have the picks or flexibility to then address the huge hole we have at SG. So we've essentially traded the hole we had a SF for the hole we would then have a SG. I haven't done research into the nuts and bolts of how that kind of trade would effect our financial flexibility, (and i'd appreciate it if someone would be happy enough to provide an argument that we could include Derozan and still address the SG spot) When I did an indepth analysis at the end of the 2010 season, I was surprised at how high up on the Gay appeared (this included advanced metrics) but at the same time his is getting basically MAX money. I'd say his contract is comparable to bargs in terms of value, which could be good, bad, or about right.
It seems like I'm flip flopping even is I attempt to right a coherent post.
I guess to sum it up, I hope that BC pursues a trade for Gay, because I do think that there is the potential to get him without giving up too many assets, however, I just hope that BC doesn't give up too much to acquire him, making it a lateral trade (much like the O'meal, Marion, and Turkoglu trades ended up being)
"They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014
"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015
"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon
From Toronto's perspective:
- Gay is a huge upgrade over JJ at starting SF
- Davis/Amir is essentially dumping a 3rd string PF and clearing up the logjam at backup PF
- DeRozan can be replaced via draft/free agency/additional trade
- downgrading #8 to #25 could still net a good player (especially if other assets are used to try and move up from #25)
- a DD/JJ/Davis - Gay trade would still leave Toronto with about $4M in cap space, as well as their exceptions (MLE & vet) and the Barbosa TPE --> lots of options to replace DeRozan and further improve the roster
Tim Chisholm Tim Chisholm @timpchisholm
Chad Ford just said via chat Raps looking to package Ed, pick and vet (Jose or Bargs) for Gay. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt the Bargs bit and…
Tim Chisholm @timpchisholm
…MEM wants cap space in a Gay deal. I think Gay is their best chance at a top-flight SF, will be interesting to see if they can nab him.
Encouraging to hear. I think that deep down, we all know that Davis and Calderon are as good as gone (even if we're not going after Gay). But if we include our pick, I hope there's an opportunity to pick up another 1st rounder.
Lastly, I wonder how/where Ford would get this information...
"I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder
Here is the actual Q/A from Ford:
You still have Dion Waiters going to the Raptors, Chad. But all we keep hearing up here is that the Raptors are likely to move the pick. Any idea who would be available for the 8th pick in the draft?
I agree that the Raptors are looking to move the pick. They've been trying to package it with another young player like Ed Davis and a vet (Bargnani or Calderon). I think they want a big time player on the wing so that they can lure Steve Nash this summer. The guy most people in the league believe they are after via trade is Rudy Gay. If they stay at 8, they want a player who can get to the basket. Thus ... Waiters at 8.
I like the idea of luring Nash by nabbing Gay.. would make a pretty formidable line up. Not sure how Bargs/Calderon fit in Memphis though, especially if Memphis wants cap space.
Nash, Demar, Gay, Bargs and JV.
Bayless, Anderson, Kleiza, Amir, Gray
JJ plays based on matchups
I'd be happy to watch that roster grow together for a couple of years
JV, DeRozan, Davis. All young players, all with potential, however the jury is out on all of them. If any of them had of shown immediate ability they would be cornerstones instead of possible trade bait, but right now outside of JV (who won't be going anywhere but we don't know how good he will be yet as much as we would all like him to be great) Davis and Derozan have much to prove.
2. Maybe, but Raps have traditionally had loyal fan base and good attendance no matter how bad the team.
3. I don't watch regularly now and thats only because I see no plan. I'd buy into the slow rebuilding if I'm seeing good young players coming in and developing the right way.
4. Agreed, but there are no guarantees in life period (with trades or FA sigings for that matter). I do know that when you hit on a draft pick it can change your franchsie dramatically overnight. That what everyone is hoping with JV no?
5. Losing mentality can be changed at anytime through winning. When you have a good enough team that can be altered because players know they are going to win and have the talent to do so night in and night out We've never been able to atract good FA's anyway. Most teams outside of NY and LA have this issue.
6. We don't know what Casey will do. Have you any idea how long it took him to get another shot coaching again with this job?
7. Easier to manage players and decisions on rookie deals. 7 years to plan appropriately.
I agree the time is now. It's time to admit the talent base is weak and you need to re-tool through the draft and low salary acquisitions.
Other teams have taken this approach (drafting) so why should we be worried about it here? We have a good coach, great city and fanbase. We just have no patience.
Kleiza and Amir are also vets.
Kleiza is my favourite current Raptor and I'd hate for him to go but if it brought back Gay, I'll pack his bags.
There is also the consideration of another team(s) coming in to play.
There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)