View Poll Results: What is your #1 concern with trading for Rudy Gay?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • His fit with the Raptors

3 8.33%
  • His talent and ability (or lack thereof)

1 2.78%
  • His contract

8 22.22%
  • Assets required to get him

24 66.67%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The case for Rudy Gay to the Raptors: Heisley speaks to rumours (277)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post

I agree the time is now. It's time to admit the talent base is weak and you need to re-tool through the draft and low salary acquisitions.
    Unfortunately, the die has been cast. I expect them to do everything in their power to have a playoff team next year. BC and Casey have said they want to win next year. I take them at their word.

Again, I don't have a huge issue with this if: one, you are prepared to do whatever it takes to try and become a ECF contender and, two, you are close enough to make that plan feasible. With Raps, they are not even close (problem #1) and you know that they won't actually go 100% in the win now direction (problem #2), rather they will do it half-assed and end up back where they are right now in 2 years. Then we'll have another 5 year rebuild.

What I really don't get about fans getting on board with this is it's exactly the same plan from 6 years ago. The only difference this time is that the best player on the team isn't as good as the best player then. Look what that plan achieved. We're happy with the next 6 years looking like the past 6? We're all on board for doing the same thing? It's not like you have go back 40 years to see how this plays out. We just watched it. With the same GM. And the results are going to be the same. Madness.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Unfortunately, the die has been cast. I expect them to do everything in their power to have a playoff team next year. BC and Casey have said they want to win next year. I take them at their word.

Again, I don't have a huge issue with this if: one, you are prepared to do whatever it takes to try and become a ECF contender and, two, you are close enough to make that plan feasible. With Raps, they are not even close (problem #1) and you know that they won't actually go 100% in the win now direction (problem #2), rather they will do it half-assed and end up back where they are right now in 2 years. Then we'll have another 5 year rebuild.

What I really don't get about fans getting on board with this is it's exactly the same plan from 6 years ago. The only difference this time is that the best player on the team isn't as good as the best player then. Look what that plan achieved. We're happy with the next 6 years looking like the past 6? We're all on board for doing the same thing? It's not like you have go back 40 years to see how this plays out. We just watched it. With the same GM. And the results are going to be the same. Madness.
    If Gay is obtained, the argument can be made that he would be Toronto's best player since Carter. Whether Bargnani stays or goes, Gay appears to be the type of talent one can build a team around.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post

Assuming Gay is acquired, that last paragraph will be an interesting discussion once we see what the roster looks like in mid-July and before the season starts.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

8th pick + Indiana's second rounder + Jose Calderon for Rudy Gay. Would they do it? who else should we add?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the talks seem to be heating up, I'm actually seeing plenty of sites saying that "Gay is on the Raps' radar".

Unlike 95% of this forum, this trade might actually be a reality. And if it does happen, well then it seems like we finally have THAT GUY. FUCK. YES.

P.S., I don't care what anyone says... I'm buying a Gay jersey!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    I agree with you regarding the 8th pick, but you don't know that for sure, and what if you get a plyer that is marginally underneath Gay in regards to production and performance and fits Casey's system and is a player he has the chance to mould from day 1? Considering one is on a rookie deal and the other is owed big money over the next 3-4 years I think we take the second option.

JV, DeRozan, Davis. All young players, all with potential, however the jury is out on all of them. If any of them had of shown immediate ability they would be cornerstones instead of possible trade bait, but right now outside of JV (who won't be going anywhere but we don't know how good he will be yet as much as we would all like him to be great) Davis and Derozan have much to prove.
    Alright, were pretty much at a stand still with this dialogue.

We both make solid points. However, consider Gay is already locked up and only bargnani is locked up on our team. I say take a chance on an already secure guy so you dont have to take a chance on another or worry about over paying and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Gay+Bargnani+DeMar+Valanciunas+NASH!=Championship contenders

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see Memphis having interest in Bargnani, considering they have Gasol/Randolph. I could see Calderon being moved in a three-team deal. Amir doesn't make sense for either team if Davis is also included, since Memphis wouldn't need two backup PF (unless they see one of them being capable of backing up the C spot). Amir would make sense if the young player is DeRozan instead of Davis though, along with the #8 pick.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I can't see Memphis having interest in Bargnani, considering they have Gasol/Randolph. I could see Calderon being moved in a three-team deal. Amir doesn't make sense for either team if Davis is also included, since Memphis wouldn't need two backup PF (unless they see one of them being capable of backing up the C spot). Amir would make sense if the young player is DeRozan instead of Davis though, along with the #8 pick.
    I read a comment by a Memphis fan who said keep Ed Davis and include DeRozan. The rationale was they could resign Speights and Arthur (so they were set at 4/5) but they need help on the wings.

I would trade DeRozan to get Gay but I'd want #25 in return and the trade/free agent search immediately turns to SGs.

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Gay has never lived up to being a #1 option in Memphis. I'm not confident he will fare better here.
    completely agree

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post
    completely agree
    Bargs 1a
    Gay 1b
    DD 2nd option
    looks acceptable to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I read a comment by a Memphis fan who said keep Ed Davis and include DeRozan. The rationale was they could resign Speights and Arthur (so they were set at 4/5) but they need help on the wings.

I would trade DeRozan to get Gay but I'd want #25 in return and the trade/free agent search immediately turns to SGs.
    I think we've been a few days ahead of the rumor mill on this one! Haha wouldn't it be cool if RR got a trade right!

DD, Davis, #8 --> for Gay, #25

Lots of options from there!

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gay would be a great fit on this team. I agree Gay and Bargnani would be the go to guys on offence with Jonas and DeMar (if he is not included in the trade) chipping in. We would be a playoff team if this move can get done.

I doubt it will happen though.
    Last edited by saints91; Wed Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raps have their Gaydar on! But I would not include DD in the trade, he has too much potential for us to give up right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my crazy plan, if I'm BC

1) DD, JJ, Calderon, #8 (3-way trade) for Gay, #25
    2) offer #25 to a team to take Amir
    3) make $8-10M offer to Batum
    4) sign Nash to 3/$30M contract
    5) use TPE to get Ariza and #10 from NO (per the rumor)
    6) draft PG (Lillard or Marshall) or SG (Lamb) at #10
    7) use MLE to sign whichever position isn't got at 6)
    8) use Vet min to re-sign Gray
    9) re-sign Uzoh to min contract

LINEUP
    C: Valanciunas, Gray
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Kleiza
    SF: Gay, Ariza, Kleiza
    SG: Batum, ???, Forbes
    PG: Nash, ???, Uzoh

Post Thanks / Like

How bout this:

Calderon + Kleiza + 2nd rounder from indiana + 8th pick for Rudy gay

They get a good pass first veteran backup PG and they get a backup SF would can also hit the three ball. With the 8th pick they can grab someone to be a part of their core.

Then we resign Bayless, sign nash and draft the machado kid. Our team looks like this:

Nash/Bayless/Machado
    DeMar/Forbes
    Gay/JJ
    Bargnani/Amir/Ed
    JV/Gray/Magloire
    Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Wed Jun 6th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Yep.

I don't think Memphis is as high on Mayo as everyone thinks, either. What with all his "I want to start" and "I want to play PG" comments.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying "let's get Mayo!" I'm just saying I have a feeling DeMar is as good as gone if this trade goes trough.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one that wonders how Gay and Bargs would play together? Seems like a odd fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Am I the only one that wonders how Gay and Bargs would play together? Seems like a odd fit.
    it would be deadly

Thread Information