Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Raptors target as their SF next season?: Raps eye AI/Gay (36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should the Raptors target as their SF next season?: Raps eye AI/Gay (36)

Wanted to create a poll to determine who Raptor fans should try and target as their SF next season. I've heard ideas like trading for Gay, or making an offer for Batum, or drafting a SF. What direction would you take if you were Bryan and why?
    Trade for Rudy Gay
    53.33%
    Try and sign Nicolas Batum
    25.00%
    Draft a SF with the 8th pick like PJ3 or TJones
    6.67%
    Keep JJ and Kleiza for another year
    8.33%
    Other
    6.67%

The poll is expired.

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Wanted to create a poll to determine who Raptor fans should try and target as their SF next season. I've heard ideas like trading for Gay, or making an offer for Batum, or drafting a SF. What direction would you take if you were Bryan and why?
    as a hypothetical i will say there is an even chance for any of these to happen so i will answer in preference

1.would be moving up for mkg
    2.is batum because he is cheaper then gay
    3.gay
    4.tjones

Comment

I have to say draft. I would prefer if Barnes fell to us, but its not very likely.
      I feel like we should use our cap room next year to sign a big name PG, so I dont say we use up to much cap-room now.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
        as a hypothetical i will say there is an even chance for any of these to happen so i will answer in preference

1.would be moving up for mkg
        2.is batum because he is cheaper then gay
        3.gay
        4.tjones
        Good point.. Order of preference is probably a good idea. Not sure how feasible it would be to trade up though, and personally I've taken myself off the MKG bandwagon. I think his outside shot is going to be an issue.

I'm voting Rudy Gay because I think he's the best option personally.. I think Portland will match any offer for Batum, and I'm not too happy with either PJ3 or TJones at the 8th (assuming Barnes is gone by then). I really don't want to see us start the season with JJ or Kleiza either. That would just depress me.

Comment

I voted for Rudy Gay.

I really like Batum, but expect Portland to match just about any offer.

I doubt any player available at #8 will be as good as Gay. There will be some high risk/reward picks, but Gay gives the team a very solid all around starter at SF, while also providing the veteran presence that BC/DC have said they are targeting. Barnes might have the best chance at causing Toronto to shy away from trading for Gay, but I highly doubt he'd be ready to start at SF for a few seasons, so the draft is hardly the most effective way for the Raps to "hit the ground running" next season.

I fully expect Kleiza to be kept as the backup SF. I would also guess that any trade for Gay would include JJ being shipped to Memphis (he's a young, cheap, SF replacement with an expiring contract; no long-term money unless he earns it next season).

---

I see three potentially solid trade options, depending just how badly Memphis wants to clear cap space (to re-sign Mayo and others) and also depending what other offers come their way. I see Toronto and Sacramento as the only teams that can offer Memphis all 3 things they are likely looking for in a trade for Gay: significant cap space, high lottery pick and good/young/cheap talent.

Trade 1 - High Motivation to Deal
          To Memphis: JJ & Davis/Amir & #8
          To Toronto: Gay & #25

Trade 2 - Medium Motivation to Deal
          To Toronto: Gay

Trade 3 - Low Motivation to Deal or Higher Competition
          To Memphis: DeRozan & JJ & Davis/Amir & #8
          --> this is the trade I expect has the greatest chance of actually happening, to satisfy both teams
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jun 6, 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

*Surprise!* - Trade for Rudy Gay.

Gay is established and I still think he has upside - especially on the defensive end with his athletic ability and 7'3" wingspan. Of the options, he is by far the 'surest' bet. Trading for him also gives the Raptors the most options to round out the roster as well with sign and trades, bird rights, mid level exception, and traded player exception all in play.

Batum eliminates all the flexibility to add to the roster. He is far from 100% certain to sign with Toronto. Portland is far from 100% certain to let him leave. To get him would require significant overpaying given restricted free agency. While he has shown incredible flashes, he is still not a proven commodity.

Moving up for MKG would require sending out assets for a player with no certainly he will excel in the NBA. MKG and DeMar on the wings would likely be one of the worst 3 point threat in the league. MKG does nothing to address needs of the team offensively. Defensively it appears he would be phenomenal.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

--> this is the trade I expect has the greatest chance of actually happening, to satisfy both teams
              Then package #25 with our second rounders to get back into the lottery!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Gay is established and I still think he has upside - especially on the defensive end with his athletic ability and 7'3" wingspan. Of the options, he is by far the 'surest' bet. Trading for him also gives the Raptors the most options to round out the roster as well with sign and trades, bird rights, mid level exception, and traded player exception all in play.

Moving up for MKG would require sending out assets for a player with no certainly he will excel in the NBA. MKG and DeMar on the wings would likely be one of the worst 3 point threat in the league. MKG does nothing to address needs of the team offensively. Defensively it appears he would be phenomenal.
                my god would they be bad shooting the ball. actually i figured derozan would be part of the deal. i know that one is unrealistic but after watching mkgs huge 24 and 19 game i jumped on and never got off. that kid could shoot someone and i would make an excuse for him.

right now i would be surprised if there isn't gay to toronto talk and bryan wouldn't be doing his job if there wasn't.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Batum eliminates all the flexibility to add to the roster. He is far from 100% certain to sign with Toronto. Portland is far from 100% certain to let him leave. To get him would require significant overpaying given restricted free agency. While he has shown incredible flashes, he is still not a proven commodity.

Just to clarify: the bold does not mean he is the surest bet to end up in Toronto. I mean he is the 'surest' bet in terms of NBA talent.

Comment

SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
                    Then package #25 with our second rounders to get back into the lottery!!
                    I was thinking along the same lines. The Raps would still have #37, #56, 2013 1st & 2nd rounders and the option of "buying" late 1st rounders, all in an attempt to move up from #25, without having to giveup any additional players.

The Raps would still have about $4M in cap space available after a DD/JJ/Davis-Gay trade, in addition to their exceptions (MLE & Vet) and the Barbosa TPE. Bottom line is there would be plenty of options available to BC to replace DeRozan and further improve the roster.

Comment

Batum for the reasons mentioned by others: cheaper and very comparable skill-wise. Comes with less 'baggage' in terms of having already been a primary option in Memphis (as in, I'd prefer to continue seeing this team grow organically in terms of who becomes the alpha/beta dogs, and I'm 98% sure that Gay immediately expects/is given that role if they acquire him).

If Batum is unattainable -- and I agree that Portland sounds like they will match -- then Gay is #2.

The draft, to me, is an "if all else fails" scenario. IMO, they should be going all out to acquire a PG (either a replacement starter for Calderon or a solid young option to take over for him within the next season or two (Nash, Dragic and Lowry should be primary targets) and SF (Batum and Gay are obvious targets). Use the #8 in any combo of assets necessary to get those two spots filled.

Anybody they draft at #8 this year, unless someone drops unexpectedly, won't likely start and won't markedly help the team make the playoffs, IMO.
                      Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                        Batum for the reasons mentioned by others: cheaper and very comparable skill-wise. Comes with less 'baggage' in terms of having already been a primary option in Memphis (as in, I'd prefer to continue seeing this team grow organically in terms of who becomes the alpha/beta dogs, and I'm 98% sure that Gay immediately expects/is given that role if they acquire him).

If Batum is unattainable -- and I agree that Portland sounds like they will match -- then Gay is #2.

The draft, to me, is an "if all else fails" scenario. IMO, they should be going all out to acquire a PG (either a replacement starter for Calderon or a solid young option to take over for him within the next season or two (Nash, Dragic and Lowry should be primary targets) and SF (Batum and Gay are obvious targets). Use the #8 in any combo of assets necessary to get those two spots filled.

Anybody they draft at #8 this year, unless someone drops unexpectedly, won't likely start and won't markedly help the team make the playoffs, IMO.
                        The big concern I have with going for Batum over Gay first in priority is that Memphis would have to unload salary prior to July 1 to get under luxury tax. If we waited to see if Batum can be acquired, the Gay-ship would have sailed by then.

That's why I think we need to try and get Gay first.. and if that does not work out, then try and make an offer for Batum in free agency.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          The big concern I have with going for Batum over Gay first in priority is that Memphis would have to unload salary prior to July 1 to get under luxury tax. If we waited to see if Batum can be acquired, the Gay-ship would have sailed by then.

That's why I think we need to try and get Gay first.. and if that does not work out, then try and make an offer for Batum in free agency.
                          Could we make the trade for Gay, deal away/amnesty Amir (package him & #25 to dump him?), and then try and sign Batum too??? If Amir is dumped, the Raps would have about $10M in cap space to go after Batum... I want THIS lineup!

C: Valanciunas
                          PF: Bargnani
                          SF: Gay, Kleiza
                          SG: Batum, Forbes
                          PG: Calderon

In that scenario, the Raps would still have #37 & #56 picks, MLE, Vet exception and Barbosa TPE.

Comment

Could we make the trade for Gay, deal away/amnesty Amir (package him & #25 to dump him?), and then try and sign Batum too??? If Amir is dumped, the Raps would have about $10M in cap space to go after Batum... I want THIS lineup!

C: Valanciunas
                            PF: Bargnani
                            SF: Gay, Kleiza
                            SG: Batum, Forbes
                            PG: Calderon

In that scenario, the Raps would still have #37 & #56 picks, MLE, Vet exception and Barbosa TPE.
                            You just blew my mind. I wouldn't hesitate one second to trade away Derozan or anyone else, if that's the result.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I voted for Rudy Gay.

I really like Batum, but expect Portland to match just about any offer.

I doubt any player available at #8 will be as good as Gay. There will be some high risk/reward picks, but Gay gives the team a very solid all around starter at SF, while also providing the veteran presence that BC/DC have said they are targeting. Barnes might have the best chance at causing Toronto to shy away from trading for Gay, but I highly doubt he'd be ready to start at SF for a few seasons, so the draft is hardly the most effective way for the Raps to "hit the ground running" next season.

I fully expect Kleiza to be kept as the backup SF. I would also guess that any trade for Gay would include JJ being shipped to Memphis (he's a young, cheap, SF replacement with an expiring contract; no long-term money unless he earns it next season).

---

I see three potentially solid trade options, depending just how badly Memphis wants to clear cap space (to re-sign Mayo and others) and also depending what other offers come their way. I see Toronto and Sacramento as the only teams that can offer Memphis all 3 things they are likely looking for in a trade for Gay: significant cap space, high lottery pick and good/young/cheap talent.

Trade 1 - High Motivation to Deal

Trade 2 - Medium Motivation to Deal
                              To Toronto: Gay

I just don't understand Trade 3, or any proposal for that matter that involves DeRozan outgoing in a trade that gets us a SF. Toronto is targeting a starting SF because that's a glaring hole in our roster. Shipping out DeRozan just creates the same problem at the SG spot. For example if we were to do Trade 3 above, then who is our starting SG next season? Gary Forbes? Jerryd Bayless? Yes maybe we get someone via free agency or trade but isn't that exactly the position we're in now with the SF spot? Besides I still like DeRozans upside and young age and I think that Trade 3 above is hugely lopsided against us, to the point of being ludicrous. DeRozan has the potential to be as good or better than Gay, so to also give them JJ, Davis/Amir, and the 8th pick? Colangelo would never make that deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X