Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Raptors target as their SF next season?: Raps eye AI/Gay (36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

optifan wrote: View Post
    I just don't understand Trade 3, or any proposal for that matter that involves DeRozan outgoing in a trade that gets us a SF. Toronto is targeting a starting SF because that's a glaring hole in our roster. Shipping out DeRozan just creates the same problem at the SG spot. For example if we were to do Trade 3 above, then who is our starting SG next season? Gary Forbes? Jerryd Bayless? Yes maybe we get someone via free agency or trade but isn't that exactly the position we're in now with the SF spot? Besides I still like DeRozans upside and young age and I think that Trade 3 above is hugely lopsided against us, to the point of being ludicrous. DeRozan has the potential to be as good or better than Gay, so to also give them JJ, Davis/Amir, and the 8th pick? Colangelo would never make that deal.
    You would have the $7.6M TPE and the mid-level exception to target a SG. The $7.6M TPE can also be used in a sign and trade.

Comment

In order of prefference:
      1- Sign and Trade for Batum, a direct signing sounds very unprobbable
      2- Move Up to get MKG
      3- Trade for Rudy Gay
      4- Draft a SF like PJIII
      5- Keep the starters and wait o draft Dario Saric in 2013

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        You would have the $7.6M TPE and the mid-level exception to target a SG. The $7.6M TPE can also be used in a sign and trade.
        Yup.. I'm thinking Wilson Chandler would be a guy we could immediately go after with that TPE and/or a guy like Kleiza (who Denver may want to get back). I really think Denver only signed Chandler so they can flip him for additional assets. We just did not have the proper assets last year to make a deal, now we do.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Could we make the trade for Gay, deal away/amnesty Amir (package him & #25 to dump him?), and then try and sign Batum too??? If Amir is dumped, the Raps would have about $10M in cap space to go after Batum... I want THIS lineup!

C: Valanciunas
          PF: Bargnani
          SF: Gay, Kleiza
          SG: Batum, Forbes
          PG: Calderon

In that scenario, the Raps would still have #37 & #56 picks, MLE, Vet exception and Barbosa TPE.
          That would be awesome.. I'd even go further and then trade Calderon to Phoenix for Nash.

That's home court advantage in the first round right there

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            That would be awesome.. I'd even go further and then trade Calderon to Phoenix for Nash.

That's home court advantage in the first round right there
            I like the idea of using the TPE and perhaps #56 pick to acquire Wilson Chandler from Denver. Kleiza can backup PF/SF, Chandler can backup SF/SG, Forbes can backup SG/PG. A backup PG can be acquired with the #37 pick or the MLE. Re-sign Uzoh to a minimum contract as an emergency 3rd string PG, Gray to vet min as backup C and suddenly the only thing missing is a backup PF.

C: Valanciunas, Gray
            PF: Bargnani, Kleiza
            SF: Gay, Kleiza, Chandler, Batum
            SG: Batum, Chandler, Forbes
            PG: Calderon, ???, Forbes, Uzoh

Needs: backup PF, backup PG
            Assets Available: #37, MLE, 2013 1st & 2nd round picks
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jun 6, 2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Throwing this out there as an option as well (that I forgot to include in my original poll). Should we try and groom DeMar to be our SF next season, and then use this off season to try and find a SG instead of a SF?

That might open up more possibilities. Instead of going for guys like Gay/Batum or draftees like PJ3/TJones, we could try and find a SG in the league that may want to come here (like Wilson Chandler).. or trading up in the draft for Beal.

I don't think DeMar will be strong enough to play SF, so I'm more inclined to look for a SF then a SG. Just wanted to see what people thought of this approach.

Comment

I might be the only person that thinks Kleiza will be REALLY good this year. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that he just got back from microfracture surgery. Kleiza could average 17pts 7rebs in starters minutes.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Is Kleiza's knee 100% though? And if not, will it ever be?

Comment

1. Trade for Chandler (without using picks)
                    2. Trade for Gay (would prefer not to use the pick but I don't know how realistic that is)
                    3. Sign Brandon Rush (nowhere near the cost of the other 2 but offers great defense and shooting. Exceptional value)
                    4. Roll with JJ or move DeMar to the 3
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Is Kleiza's knee 100% though? And if not, will it ever be?
                      at two years 4.6m per I feel like we can afford to wait one more year to see while addressing PG, backup PG, 6th man (SG) and backup C...I'd also like to see what James Johnson brings next season
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

This is the answer to this thread from most of RR.
                        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Yup.. I'm thinking Wilson Chandler would be a guy we could immediately go after with that TPE and/or a guy like Kleiza (who Denver may want to get back). I really think Denver only signed Chandler so they can flip him for additional assets. We just did not have the proper assets last year to make a deal, now we do.
                          Its a bit of a stretch to assume that the Nuggets only signed Chandler to flip him for other assets. I doubt his value will be any higher at any point in his career than it was last season/summer.
                          Welp, that sucked.

Comment

If Denver wanted to trade Chandler, he would be a definite option.

There are free agent options some of whom could be obtained outright and some are RFA who might be sign and trade candidates ($7.6M TPE and/or assets):

Mayo
                            Danny Green
                            Gerald Green
                            Courtney Lee
                            Landry Fields
                            Brandon Rush
                            Delfino

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                              Its a bit of a stretch to assume that the Nuggets only signed Chandler to flip him for other assets. I doubt his value will be any higher at any point in his career than it was last season/summer.
                              Good point.

He is also coming off major hip surgery. Trading him now might be the epitome of buying high and selling low.

Comment

Chandler is coming off a hip injury of some sort. Not sure how severe it was (Johnny Flynn also suffered from a hip injury which he hasn't recovered from fully), but I don't know about over paying for a guy (which Toronto always has to do) if we aren't positive he's back to normal. I'd go with a safer bet. I personally wouldn't mind drafting a versatile, "jack of all trades" type small forward and go after a SG in free agency or trade which we can lean on for scoring. Eric Gordon would be the first guy that comes to mind though he too has injury concerns.

I'm thinking that a SF with a scoring mentality like Gay may tip the balance of the ofense into the front court too much with Bargnani already there and the expectation that JV will also be operating there. Balancing out the scoring between the back court and front court will help eliminate congestions in the paint some what. Basically I'm saying DeMar better impress early 'cause his position requires a major upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                                X