Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Raptors target as their SF next season?: Raps eye AI/Gay (36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OJ MAYO is unrestricted
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Nash/Ross/Iggy/Bargs/Val with Demar coming in as sixth man is good for 5th in the east, I'd say.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Being a realist that I am, I don't see Gay here as the owner has repeatedly said, he ain't going nowhere. Iggy isn't a lock either in my opinion because he is a key role in their top defence. I think there's a lot of chatter going around at this point. Here's my picks:

1. Gerald Wallace - I know, he doesn't want to play here. But potentially with Nash in the works (if he decides to end his career here), could be really good. An excellent defender, hustle player and a definite Casey player!

2. Dorell Wright - I'm not sure if it's possible for him to forget how to play ball. Two years ago, he averaged 16.3 ppg (with Monta on the team). Last year was an aberration, especially with Jackson's style of coaching. He can also shoot the 3-rock.

3. Matt Barnes - A defensive-minded player who played relatively well with the Lakers last year.

4. Damion James - Digging deep here but I like what he brings to the table. In the limited games I've watched him, he could be really good down the line. He could be another James Johnson type player too.
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          With Mayo being renounced, Gay is very likely no longer available.

I can't help but feel that Iggy to Toronto is almost a foregone conclusion... it seems almost too easy to connect the dots at this point.

I wonder what the deal would involve? JJ & Ed & 2013 1st round pick for Iggy? Could Calderon be involved? I wouldn't want to giveup DeRozan for Iggy.
          Early (non fact based) speculation wondered if our pick would be going to Philly as part of an Iggy deal. 2 days later, Terrence Ross now has a 78% Yay factor on the republic. He would be missed.

Comment

• with news spreading tonight that Atl may unload joe johnson on the nets for nothing but expiring contracts, does it not seem odd that it's not josh smith who was the one asking for a trade. I guess JJ has the massive contract so if they moved that they'd be happy. That said, do we want Smith for $13 million for one year? If he leaves at the end we just have that money to spend on the next SF (sort of). That could work. Any takers?

Comment

• Time to look at Josh Smith?

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

Next up for Atlanta? Trading Josh Smith. He felt the team wasn't committed BEFORE the Joe Johnson trade. Now, there's no doubt he wants out.
              Marvin Williams is also being traded to Utah for Devin Harris.

A lot of tweets coming out contrary to Alex Kennedy's tweet about about Morrow and Smith being friends with Howard and all three from Atlanta. Personally, for the reasons Howard wants out, and the Hawks refusal to pay any luxury tax, I don't see Atlanta being a suitable destination for the Almighty Dwight.

I wonder if Smith is available and if Toronto would be interested? The Hawks seems to be lacking quality big men after Horford and Zaza. Smith is still a tweener at 4 and I believe he fancies himself a SF more than a PF. The Raps have Ed Davis on a cheap rookie deal as well as James Johnson and Gary Forbes is another cheap SF/SG. I doubt Atlanta is interested in DD with Brooks, Morrow, Stevenson now at SG for them.

The Raps can certainly save A LOT of money for Atlanta - although they have just knocked off about $28M from their 2013-2014 payroll. So money may not be the driving factor in Atlanta moving forward - for once.

Anyways, a line up of Nash, DD, Smith, Bargs, JV is certainly entertaining.

The above is basically rambling thoughts of mine. A lot of thinking "out loud" there.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                with news spreading tonight that Atl may unload joe johnson on the nets for nothing but expiring contracts, does it not seem odd that it's not josh smith who was the one asking for a trade. I guess JJ has the massive contract so if they moved that they'd be happy. That said, do we want Smith for $13 million for one year? If he leaves at the end we just have that money to spend on the next SF (sort of). That could work. Any takers?
                I didn't see your post! Oops.

Depending on the assets given up I wouldn't mind looking at Smith - although his 3 point shooting is hardly stellar from Smith bu the is solid from 18-20 feet.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Depending on the assets given up I wouldn't mind looking at Smith - although his 3 point shooting is hardly stellar from Smith bu the is solid from 18-20 feet.

If they could get him somehow without moving Bargnani isn't Smith pretty much the perfect fit with Andrea?
                  Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
                    If they could get him somehow without moving Bargnani isn't Smith pretty much the perfect fit with Andrea?
                    Smith and Bargnani are a nice compliment - although Bargnani's 3pt shooting has been in decline for 3 consecutive seasons.

I am unsure about DD/Smith/Bargnani. That is not a lot of shooters for *ahem*Nash?*ahem* to hit.

Comment

Smith and Bargnani are a nice compliment - although Bargnani's 3pt shooting has been in decline for 3 consecutive seasons.

I am unsure about DD/Smith/Bargnani. That is not a lot of shooters for *ahem*Nash?*ahem* to hit.
                      Sign Danny Green and find a way to get a decent quality player back for Demar as well if possible.. I don't know about you but I would be absolutely pumped if they got a line-up of Nash/Green/Smith/Bargnani/Val
                      Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

no problem. Lots of posts flying around these days. Smith may seem like daydreaming but keep in mind, he just has one year left on his contract. Not sure if that would get Altanta more or less but I think less.

Comment

• Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
                          Sign Danny Green and find a way to get a decent quality player back for Demar as well if possible.. I don't know about you but I would be absolutely pumped if they got a line-up of Nash/Green/Smith/Bargnani/Val
                          Consider me pumped as well.

Comment

• If the 'source' is accurate, forget Smith!

Combined with the Johnson trade, Atlanta is sending out more than $105 million in long-term salary with Monday's two deals and taking back just $23.5 million, as Harris is entering the final year of his contract at $8.5 million.

The flurry of action, after years of restraint from the Hawks, has also made a fast impression on Smith, sources said. Smith had been vocal for months about wanting to be dealt, but sources told ESPN.com that the swingman is excited about the direction Ferry has taken things in his brief time in charge.

"He's changed the whole perception of the organization," one source said.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...ording-sources

Comment

• http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...rom-steve-nash

One name mentioned by one league source Monday was former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko. After playing last season is his native Russia, Kirilenko has expressed an interest in returning to the NBA and it was long thought he would be looking at Brooklyn as a landing spot. But with the Nets having locked up Gerald Wallace and, apparently, Joe Johnson to go along with current centre Brook Lopez and emerging young guard MarShon Brooks, there would seem to be no room for Kirilenko, the kind of multi-positional big man Colangelo loves.

collective shudder through the republic

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...rom-steve-nash

One name mentioned by one league source Monday was former Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko. After playing last season is his native Russia, Kirilenko has expressed an interest in returning to the NBA and it was long thought he would be looking at Brooklyn as a landing spot. But with the Nets having locked up Gerald Wallace and, apparently, Joe Johnson to go along with current centre Brook Lopez and emerging young guard MarShon Brooks, there would seem to be no room for Kirilenko, the kind of multi-positional big man Colangelo loves.

collective shudder through the republic
                                I am a fan of this move. Sure there are younger, better SF's out there; however, if they can't be had then this guy is far better than anything we have at that position.
                                “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                                ― John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X