Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should the Raptors target as their SF next season?: Raps eye AI/Gay (36)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i like kirilenko after gay/iggy/batum probably a little ahead of chandler after how bad he played at the end of last year and way ahead of ilyasova for me. he is a smart guy who plays hard casey ball. 5-8 million a year after the nash deal also on a 3 year deal would be a nice pick up. then the bench is jj/ross/ed/bayless and amir with gray put in for matchups and jamaal and uzoh in garbage minutes.

Comment

• A silver lining for Barnes fans in Toronto:

For the last 2 off seasons, this time of year has had lots of Golden State Warriors trade rumours surrounding starting SF's in the league. With the drafting of Barnes in GS, those rumours no longer exist.

So, there is one less team competing with Toronto on the trade front for a SF - just Cleveland, Milwaukee, Sacramento, and Minnesota remain.

I do believe the starting SF will be addressed in a trade before training camp. Notice the restriction on the Lowry pick ends at 14? I have a feeling 15-30 will be offered in another trade with the right to swap should Houston claim the pick the previous year.

FYI, no substance to these ramblings.

Comment

• Also related to GSW, I was wondering if a minor deal might be available revolving around Bayless (S&T) for Wright. With Barnes coming in and rumors persisting that GSW might match offers for Rush, it would seem that Wright is expendable (even noted on Wright's ESPN profile page). GSW needs a PG, as backup and insurace behind Steph Curry (Jenkins is the only other PG they even have on their roster as of right now). I could see Bayless fitting very well with GSW's up-tempo offense.

Bayless' QO was roughly the same as Wright's contract, so there's potential for the salaries to match up. If Bayless signed for less (~ $2.5M) or if GSW included another minimum contract, it would be possible for Toronto to swap Bayless & JJ for Wright.

A deal like that would add yet another wing to Toronto (5 already: DeRozan, Ross, Fields, Kleiza, JJ), though it could open the door for a trade that sees multiple decent wings being dealt away for a top-tier starting SF.

Comment

• A very interesting comparison of SF's who are rumoured to be available and one Raptor who is rumoured to be on his way out of town:

Player Min WP48 Wins PTS DRB ORB REB AST TO BLK STL PF
          Iguodala 2209 .255 11.7 16.8 7.1 1.2 8.3 7.4 2.5 0.7 2.3 2.0
          Batum 1791 .168 6.3 21.9 5.1 2.2 7.3 2.3 2.4 1.6 1.5 2.8
          Wright 1650 .155 5.3 18.3 6.3 1.7 8.1 2.7 1.5 0.8 1.7 2.8
          Deng 2129 .123 5.5 18.7 6.2 1.7 7.9 3.5 2.2 0.8 1.3 1.8
          Gay 2422 .119 6.0 24.4 5.7 2.6 8.3 2.9 3.2 1.1 1.9 2.7
          Johnson 1561 .061 2.0 17.4 6.7 2.3 9.0 3.8 3.1 2.6 2.2 5.4

http://www.thenbageek.com/players/co..._ids[]=150

From this comparison, my thoughts:
          1) Iggy did much better than I thought
          2) Wright did much better than I thought
          3) Gay did much worse
          4) JJ did much worse
          5) If the Raptors are in to advanced stats as much as we are led to believe, AI is likely their #1 target.
          6) Click the link to see more but AI also has highest 3pt shooting % (39.4) of all compared.

Comment

• I like this site. Is there a thread that contains useful links for use in debate? If not a sticky thread somewhere that contains resources would be cool to have
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
              I like this site. Is there a thread that contains useful links for use in debate? If not a sticky thread somewhere that contains resources would be cool to have
              Yes there is... here's the link. Feel free to make suggestions for additional sites/topics.

Link: http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...Fan-Essentials

Comment

• Well, the Sixers definitely have a type.

Sixers Insider Dei Lynam reports that the Sixers have acquired 6-foot-9 swingman Dorell Wright from Golden State for a future draft pick.

Wright averaged 10.3 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season for the Warriors in 27 minutes per game.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...edium=referral
                Well, it looks like Wright is on his way to the Atlantic Division.... just to another team.

It will be interesting what the draft pick is.

It is also interesting to look at their current wings:

SG: Turner, Young
                SF: AI, Wright, Harkless

T. Young can play 3/4 and Holiday can play 1/2.

Is there a backlog here?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Well, it looks like Wright is on his way to the Atlantic Division.... just to another team.

It will be interesting what the draft pick is.

It is also interesting to look at their current wings:

SG: Turner, Young
                  SF: AI, Wright, Harkless

T. Young can play 3/4 and Holiday can play 1/2.

Is there a backlog here?
                  Is it time to start a "The case for Iggy to Toronto" thread?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Is it time to start a "The case for Iggy to Toronto" thread?
                    lol

I think I could make a good one but I am still stinging from the outcome of the Nash thread - lol.

Comment

• The Warriors have agreed to trade Dorell Wright to the Philadelphia 76ers, according to league sources. In return, Golden State gets the rights to a player Philadelphia previously drafted and stashed overseas. (Previously reported it was for a future draft pick. That was not correct)
                      http://www.ibabuzz.com/warriors/2012...or-draft-pick/

Comment

• I was just coming back to fix this but you beat me to it - thanks.

The Raptors could have sent them the rights to Zubcic! UGHHHHH! C'mon man! lol

Wright is not a star but he is not garbage either. I can't believe the W's couldn't get ANYTHING for him.

Comment

I was just coming back to fix this but you beat me to it - thanks.

The Raptors could have sent them the rights to Zubcic! UGHHHHH! C'mon man! lol

Wright is not a star but he is not garbage either. I can't believe the W's couldn't get ANYTHING for him.
                          Looks like GSW didn't want to take back any salary.. and Toronto has its cap space tied up in Fields/Lowry. Wright may have been placed on the block too late for the Raps to do anything about it.

I wouldn't mind going after Iggy at this point in time. Earlier in the season I would have said no, but the team does need talent, and Iggy would do wonders for us at the 3. I'm concerned that we could be giving up assets to a rental (he has an ETO next year). Iggy doesn't seem like a guy that would want to settle in Toronto. But who knows.. I'd throw Jose+Ed and maybe a 2nd rounder for him, and see if Stefanski can deliver. Jose is an expiring so no loss if Iggy leaves. Ed doesn't seem like a long term answer for Toronto especially if we keep Amir. We'd get a lot of cap space if Iggy does leave, and at that point we could look at guys like Josh Smith/Paul George/Gordon Hayward and make big offers for them.

I'm not sure if Philly would want Jose though... especially if Turner can play the 1. The next offer I'd make would be Amir+DeMar for Iggy. Problem with that is both Amir and DeMar are very serviceable, and if Iggy leaves after one year we just lost two huge assets. Plus I'm not sure if Philly would want to deal their best player to a division rival.

Minny may lose out on Batum and so if I was BC I'd try and make an offer sooner than later before Minny has similar ideas.

I'd still rather have Gay though... not sure if he's even available. Maybe we need to wait until the trade deadline and go with Fields/Lowry + Ross/Acy in terms of acquisitions for the off season.
                          Last edited by planetmars; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Looks like GSW didn't want to take back any salary.. and Toronto has its cap space tied up in Fields/Lowry. Wright may have been placed on the block too late for the Raps to do anything about it.

I wouldn't mind going after Iggy at this point in time. Earlier in the season I would have said no, but the team does need talent, and Iggy would do wonders for us at the 3. I'm concerned that we could be giving up assets to a rental (he has an ETO next year). Iggy doesn't seem like a guy that would want to settle in Toronto. But who knows.. I'd throw Jose+Ed and maybe a 2nd rounder for him, and see if Stefanski can deliver. Jose is an expiring so no loss if Iggy leaves. Ed doesn't seem like a long term answer for Toronto especially if we keep Amir. We'd get a lot of cap space if Iggy does leave, and at that point we could look at guys like Josh Smith/Paul George/Gordon Hayward and make big offers for them.

I'm not sure if Philly would want Jose though... especially if Turner can play the 1. The next offer I'd make would be Amir+DeMar for Iggy. Problem with that is both Amir and DeMar are very serviceable, and if Iggy leaves after one year we just lost two huge assets. Plus I'm not sure if Philly would want to deal their best player to a division rival.

Minny may lose out on Batum and so if I was BC I'd try and make an offer sooner than later before Minny has similar ideas.

I'd still rather have Gay though... not sure if he's even available. Maybe we need to wait until the trade deadline and go with Fields/Lowry + Ross/Acy in terms of acquisitions for the off season.
                            You are most likely correct on the taking back salary. Without a S&T with the Knicks, the Raps were about $2.3M of cap space shy of making it work. JJ is $2.8M fwiw.

As for AI, he has really grown on me the last couple of days. The 5th best wins produced in the NBA is nothing to sneeze at especially when you look at the 4 players ahead of him (CP3, LBJ, KD, and Tyson Chandler). With a healthy Bargnani, Bargnani would be the first offensive option. If DeRozan was kept he would be 2nd or 3rd with Lowry likely being the other. AI wouldn't be required to score as he'd likely be the 4th option - create, rebound, defend would be his calling card.

As for his age, health, and declining production, they are all legit concerns. However, if the Raptors are only giving up Calderon, a big where there is a logjam, and another piece (JJ or DD) I don't see the concern because they will have a highly tradable asset or significant salary coming off the books. I consider DD a piece because based on the types of players the Raptors appear to be pursuing and the direction of the franchise under DC, I'm not sure DD is a long term piece anyways (there is not hate there for DD, just calling it like I see it which may very well be wrong).

Comment

• Matt you keep mentioning one thing about Iggy that is bugging me. You say his production is declining but the answer is a very simple one. Look at the distribution of scoring on the team. 6 guys near/over 10ppg and 2 more at 8ppg. Doug Collins changed the offense and focused heavily on defense. SO PLEASE stop saying he is declining. The numbers lie in his case
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

You are most likely correct on the taking back salary. Without a S&T with the Knicks, the Raps were about $2.3M of cap space shy of making it work. JJ is $2.8M fwiw.

As for AI, he has really grown on me the last couple of days. The 5th best wins produced in the NBA is nothing to sneeze at especially when you look at the 4 players ahead of him (CP3, LBJ, KD, and Tyson Chandler). With a healthy Bargnani, Bargnani would be the first offensive option. If DeRozan was kept he would be 2nd or 3rd with Lowry likely being the other. AI wouldn't be required to score as he'd likely be the 4th option - create, rebound, defend would be his calling card.

As for his age, health, and declining production, they are all legit concerns. However, if the Raptors are only giving up Calderon, a big where there is a logjam, and another piece (JJ or DD) I don't see the concern because they will have a highly tradable asset or significant salary coming off the books. I consider DD a piece because based on the types of players the Raptors appear to be pursuing and the direction of the franchise under DC, I'm not sure DD is a long term piece anyways (there is not hate there for DD, just calling it like I see it which may very well be wrong).
                                I wonder if Calderon, Davis, JJ and a 2nd round pick would be enough for Iggy? Or possibly a conditional 1st round pick (structured around the conditional pick going to Houston), instead of the 2nd rounder. They could also do Amir and Bayless ($10M), instead of Calderon and Davis ($13.3M).

I've been pushing hard for Iggy since it appeared that Gay was likely off the market (which I'm more unsure of now, given Memphis' re-signings that pushed them into tax territory). I think a wing rotation of Iggy, Kleiza, DeRozan, Fields and Ross could be quite effective, assuming Kleiza spends heavy 2nd unit minutes at PF (with Amir at C).

Toronto would need to find a backup PG, most likely, unless Calderon was still on the roster.
                                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X