Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

Thread: Take on Okafor or Ariza's contract and get the 10th picK

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    This would be counter to all rumors about Colangelo. Colangelo is looking to trade his pick and use the cap space to land a star. I don't see him instead going 180 and using the cap space to add another lotto pick... Not that I would necessarily be against doing it. Colangelo needs results this year though. He's not as likely to get results with two or three rookies in prominent roles.
    Unless it came after a trade for the elusive elite wing where #8 went out.

    The TPE could absorb Ariza's contract and #10 comes along with it.

    The Raptors might be able to get the guy they want at #8 at #10 (Lamb, Lillard, Waiters) AND get Gay. Talk about win-win.

  2. #22
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ariza has poor shot selection. I'm not hot on him. Couldn't they just use the TPE to land a guy who fits?

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    there's our defensize specialist
    Isnt JJ our defensive specialist?

    Isnt JJ a cheaper and younger version of ariza?

    just curious ceez, why do you do one line per post?

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why I like this idea is because the guy who the raptors are looking draft may very well still be there at 10. Waiters or Lamb aren't locks for the top 9, so they could do this and still get the guy they want....Now that I look up, I see Matt already wrote that...

    Anyway, I like the Gay pickup in its own right, so if we have to "concede" taking the 10th pick for cap space it seems like a no brainer to me

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    im a jj fan but i wouldn't put "jj" and "specialist" in the same sentence
    @jerboat

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Pass.

    A 10th pick is not enough to counterbalance a very unfavorable contract. I am also against the idea of having three rookies playing significant minutes.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Pass.

    A 10th pick is not enough to counterbalance a very unfavorable contract. I am also against the idea of having three rookies playing significant minutes.
    That probably wouldn't be the case. According to Truehoop (and of course this is nothing new) http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ck-for-forward
    We would theoretically lose our #8 but gain a #10 thus staying in the lottery.
    We would then only have the two rookies.

  8. #28
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would be willing to use the TPE to take on Ariza & #10.
    I like it much more if it happens after a trade for Gay.
    I would like it much much more if the Raptors could do something similar with Amir & #25 pick.
    The Raps would only be adding 1 rookie from the draft, depending on whether or not they use the #37/#56 picks.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,095
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A move like this doesn't really make sense for a team trying to win right away. Let's assume they can land Gay and Nash. Adding another rookie makes little sense. More sensible to go out and land a sharpshooter at the SG or a quality 3rd big.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    A move like this doesn't really make sense for a team trying to win right away. Let's assume they can land Gay and Nash. Adding another rookie makes little sense. More sensible to go out and land a sharpshooter at the SG or a quality 3rd big.
    I assume they would use the #10 pick to land a backup PG, but it would be pretty sweet if Beal or Lamb were available @ #10! Doubtful yes, but you never know who might drop. They would still have the MLE as well, to potentially go after a sharpshooter.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If the rumors are true about NO dangling the #10 with a team taking on Ariza I hope BC is on the phone seeing what it would take to swing a deal. If it's just a salary dump I'd love to see a move for Ariza and #10 for Forbes and #37 and or #57.

    Then trade #8, #10, JJ and Ed or Amir for Gay and #25.

    Would leave a line up of:

    Jose/Bayless/Wroten
    Demar/Ariza
    Gay/Kleiza
    Dre/Ed or Amir
    JV/Gray

    Use 25 on Marquis Teague or Tony Wroten, resign Gray and Bayless and I think they would be fine filing out the roster on 1 year deals. Would be an athletic team with plenty of players still with upside and room to improve.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Did Ariza not spurn the Raps in his FA year and sign with the Rockets? Wonder if he'd be a happy camper here. His salary is somewhat manageable approx. 7.3, 7.7 for the next 2 years. Wonder if we could coax one of their younger players (Thomas or Henry) to be added. $15 mil for the 10th seems a bit steep.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow, people complain about how much we're paying Amir, and then want to take on Ariza?

    Trevor Ariza at his salary should only be an option if Toronto has filled the rest of the big holes and is competing for a title. Now, if taking him on also brings the #10 pick, that's something to consider, but again only IF the other pieces are already in place (eg. Gay is here, the #8 is gone along with Davis or Derozan and they need to backfill through the draft at a vacated position).
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

  14. #34
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Did Ariza not spurn the Raps in his FA year and sign with the Rockets? Wonder if he'd be a happy camper here. His salary is somewhat manageable approx. 7.3, 7.7 for the next 2 years. Wonder if we could coax one of their younger players (Thomas or Henry) to be added. $15 mil for the 10th seems a bit steep.
    Or maybe he is so unhappy he doesn't use his player option after next season, meaning Toronto would only be paying him for a single season!

  15. #35
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Wow, people complain about how much we're paying Amir, and then want to take on Ariza?

    Trevor Ariza at his salary should only be an option if Toronto has filled the rest of the big holes and is competing for a title. Now, if taking him on also brings the #10 pick, that's something to consider, but again only IF the other pieces are already in place (eg. Gay is here, the #8 is gone along with Davis or Derozan and they need to backfill through the draft at a vacated position).
    If a trade for Gay goes down and Toronto gets the #25 pick in return, the Raps could try to do the same thing as NO is doing, but with Amir & #25... Ariza's salary is much better than Amir's in the long-term. I think Amir could be a quality backup PF for a lot of teams, especially with the #25 pick as a 'thank you'.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Isnt JJ our defensive specialist?

    Isnt JJ a cheaper and younger version of ariza?

    just curious ceez, why do you do one line per post?
    Two reasons I can think of

    1. He is mobile

    2. He doesn't need to say much more to get his point across or he's very generic.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Or he's a minimalist by nature.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Two reasons I can think of

    1. He is mobile

    2. He doesn't need to say much more to get his point across or he's very generic.
    hehehe makes sense.

  19. #39
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If a trade for Gay goes down and Toronto gets the #25 pick in return, the Raps could try to do the same thing as NO is doing, but with Amir & #25... Ariza's salary is much better than Amir's in the long-term. I think Amir could be a quality backup PF for a lot of teams, especially with the #25 pick as a 'thank you'.
    I disagree. Amir Johnson is a smart hardworking player who would still be happy if he rarely saw the rock. Ariza is not that. Amir is a better player than Ariza in my opinion.

    The Rockets got sick of him really fast after giving him a lot of money. Now another team wants to be rid of him bad enough to cough up a top ten lotto pick. This isn't raising alarms?

  20. #40
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I disagree. Amir Johnson is a smart hardworking player who would still be happy if he rarely saw the rock. Ariza is not that. Amir is a better player than Ariza in my opinion.

    The Rockets got sick of him really fast after giving him a lot of money. Now another team wants to be rid of him bad enough to cough up a top ten lotto pick. This isn't raising alarms?
    Very good point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •