No announcement yet.

What is the best way to build a winner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To build a winner you start with good management, it all starts with leadership and that is coaching and good general management. You build around fundamentals that are proven to be successful in the playoffs, which means "defense wins championships". For pretty much the first time since I've been a raptors fan I think we have the proper leadership in place, and our team's identity is one that hangs its hat on the defensive side of the ball which is key.

Second, you grow internally, you develop what you have, build around youth until you get to the point where you feel that your team has what it takes to play .500 basketball.

Third, you look at bringing in a big time free agent(s) or trades to get your team over the hump and hopefully get them to the next level.

I think that the argument can be made that with a healthy Andrea bargnani the raptors are arguably in the 8th seed as is, given the improvement that we have seen under Casey, and more familiarity with his system from the get go, I don't think this is too much of a stretch. The fact that Casey and Colangelo are in contract years leads me to believe that we are jumping the gun slightly from steps 2 to 3, but I want to see us win next year so I am all for it.

Raptors Are Stacked.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
      To build a winner you start with good management, it all starts with leadership and that is coaching and good general management. You build around fundamentals that are proven to be successful in the playoffs, which means "defense wins championships". For pretty much the first time since I've been a raptors fan I think we have the proper leadership in place, and our team's identity is one that hangs its hat on the defensive side of the ball which is key.

Second, you grow internally, you develop what you have, build around youth until you get to the point where you feel that your team has what it takes to play .500 basketball.

Third, you look at bringing in a big time free agent(s) or trades to get your team over the hump and hopefully get them to the next level.

I think that the argument can be made that with a healthy Andrea bargnani the raptors are arguably in the 8th seed as is, given the improvement that we have seen under Casey, and more familiarity with his system from the get go, I don't think this is too much of a stretch. The fact that Casey and Colangelo are in contract years leads me to believe that we are jumping the gun slightly from steps 2 to 3, but I want to see us win next year so I am all for it.

Raptors Are Stacked
      +1

What people don't realize is that the owners of these teams usually invest because its a fun idea for them, and they do not necessarily look at it as a business, which needs strong management and good culture which permeates throughout the organization and down to the team. Too often there are people who think that they can make "band-aid" decisions by bringing in one player or the next and that will cover up the mistakes for the past few years (i.e. Carmelo). But even if that player comes over, if there is not good management in place to set the tone, the organization will not do well.

As far as longevity? You have no chance unless you develop this type of culture. The Spurs are probably the best example, they have such a strong culture and dynamic, that you can put a player like Stephen Jackson on the team, in a spot reserve role, and he accepts it without a peep to the media. Look at the Celtics over the past 5 years, who can insert guys like Brandon Bass and Ryan Hollins and have them be effective. Having roles and a professional attitude towards the team is a very powerful thing.

With Casey, we now have a brand of basketball which we play, and have started to build a culture around the team. As long as we continue to build on this, we can bring in new effective players, and discard the ones that don't fit...even if they are talented, rather than holding on to them "waiting for them to hit their potential."

And yes, we do need a little luck as well...

Comment

I've been thinkin' 'bout the draft and I think Toronto's getting Beal. The reason why is if you think logically the top 8 picks in the draft should go like this.

1. Hornets, Davis, duh
        2. Bobcats, T-Rob, they dont need a 3 or 2 so whats the point of picking one
        3. Wizards, Kidd-Gilchrist, but they need a 3 or 2
        4. Cavs, Barnes, I'll explain this later
        5. Kings, Probably Drummond, because it would be stupid to pick another guard.
        6. Blazers, Lilliard, it's a reach but hey they dont need a shooting guard right now because of Matthews and Batum, and if you think Batum will leave, think again, do you really think it'd be smart for Portland?
        7. Warriors, Sullinger? it will be a 4 or 5 for sure though, because they have no need for any 1 or 2, because if they did, then why'd they trade away Ellis?
        8. Raps, Beal, They're left with the guy all the fans want

Why would the Cavs pick Barnes you ask? Just look at their trade and free agent options at the 3. There is no free agent 3 that would sign with cleveland, and what do the Cavs have to trade for a 3, nothing. But at the 2 you have a million options that you could sign, e.g. Allen, Young, Barbosa amongst others.

And if you're askin' why wouldn't Batum leave? Portland wouldn't allow him to and now with a actual pg they can move on and also pick maybe Tyler Zeller to fill in the 5. The franchise moves forward and easily becomes a playoff contender as well. Something that certainly will be a plus for Batum if he re-signs

Now if you still think this won't happen, well, Lamb's still a great pick for Toronto anyways, but this still is a possibility to keep in mind and hope for.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
          I've been thinkin' 'bout the draft and I think Toronto's getting Beal. The reason why is if you think logically the top 8 picks in the draft should go like this....
          Not saying you're wrong, but picking for need is a little simplistic, maybe. If you pick for the best player available, you might be able to trade that player for a vet that better fills your need. And you might find a team that is well out of the draft lottery that would be ecstatic to take a higher pick off your hands. Think of a team like the Raps (I'm just using them as an example and realize they are not a good one since they are in the lottery). They happen to have a glut at the 4 spot for several reasons. Wouldn't they love to trade a 4 for a 3 from higher in the draft than they would be picking. They might be willing to take on a bad contract in a multi-player deal. so if you were higher up, why pick for need, when you can swing a deal that maybe helps you out a couple of ways?

Comment

There's always a team in the top 5 that makes a total wtf pick and screws up the rest of the lottery. Last year was Cleveland. My money's on the kings this year.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              There's always a team in the top 5 that makes a total wtf pick and screws up the rest of the lottery. Last year was Cleveland. My money's on the kings this year.
              LOL

Yeah, there's not way Beal drops to 8 unless we have New Orleans type of "luck"

Comment

Working...
              X