DimeMag.com take on last nights victory over the Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DimeMag.com take on last nights victory over the Lakers

If you don’t know why the Lakers fan at your office is walking around today like he’s about to snap and go Denzel-in-Book of Eli on everybody, here’s why: With 11 seconds left in the fourth, L.A. was up one, Raptors ball. Hedo Turkoglu and Chris Bosh ran the high screen, allowing Hedo to switch from Ron Artest guarding him to Pau Gasol. Hedo did his herky-jerky drive routine into the lane, and when Gasol, Artest and Lamar Odom converged, Odom was called for the foul while Hedo went for a layup. Sent to the line with 1.2 seconds left, Hedo made both free throws, and one Kobe miss later, the Raps got the W … Nobody is questioning whether or not there was contact — Odom definitely got Hedo with the body coming from the left side — but it was one of those “You don’t make that call in that situation” kind of things. To be fair, though, you know if the tables were turned and Kobe (27 pts, 16 rebs, 9 asts) took that same hit from anybody with that much time left, he’d get the foul. (Ask a Bucks fan.) And if Kobe didn’t get the foul, he’d go Book of Eli on his own behalf … Is Toronto the land where once-hyped point guards go to die? Just a couple years ago you had T.J. Ford plant the seeds of his descent into Tinsleyville as a Raptor; now you’ve got Jose Calderon going from borderline All-Star to a guy getting 15 minutes a night, and don’t forget Marcus Banks is on the T-Dot roster. We’re just saying, don’t be surprised when Acie Law or Sebastian Telfair winds up wearing Raptors’ colors soon...
    DimeMag.com

I don't know who the foul was called on but it was definitely committed by Gasol who shoved Turk in the back causing him to stumble just before shooting the ball. It was a clear and obvious call. Does Turk get the call on the road in places like Los Angeles, Boston Cleveland etc? Probably not, but that is part of the "home court advantage".

The Raptors are developing into a very good home team. Of course they need to do more work and improve even more. However, they are getting to the point where they are beginning to become good enough at home to get the "home court advantage" calls late in the game even against good teams.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I am of the belief that a foul is a foul no matter the time, place, location or parties involved. The fact that it doesn't work that way is a problem. Given the Donaghy spectacle of not too long ago you would think that Stern and the NBA would push towards such a concept but you would be wrong in thinking that way.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I am of the belief that a foul is a foul no matter the time, place, location or parties involved. The fact that it doesn't work that way is a problem. Given the Donaghy spectacle of not too long ago you would think that Stern and the NBA would push towards such a concept but you would be wrong in thinking that way.
        I hear you and agree with you that a foul is a foul no matter what. However, the fact that is that we are dealing with human beings and not a machine or technology that makes the calls, It is just the way it is.

It doesn't mean that a team or player can't become one of the so called "advantaged ones" or win without being a so called "advantaged one".

They just have to try harder and earn their stripes in order to move up in class with respect to how fouls are called against them vs their opponents.

Another major advantage in the foul calling area comes from the "Aggression Factor". Teams that are more aggressive on defense will also get the the calls. I know that this sounds counter intuitive but that is how it works especially if the Refs are letting the guys play and not calling "in the neighborhood" fouls.

Johnson is a player who has actually moved up in class in this area. At this point in the season his foul rate per 36 minutes is just about the same as was the last two years. However, he is now able to play a lot tougher defense inside and get away with a lot more stuff than he has been able to in the past, as he is starting to get the reputation as a pretty good defender. He has a way to go yet to where he doesn't get so many BS calls on him and gets away with what I would like to see him get away with on defense. However, he continues to make noticeable progress in this area which is encouraging.
        Last edited by Buddahfan; Mon Jan 25, 2010, 12:44 PM.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Re the whistle-in-pocket routine I believe there is a more plausible reason (rather than a favored or premeditated one)....a rabid home arena audience. I think a more natural human dynamic comes into play where the refs are "afraid" of the more abusive local elements and unless there is an egregious foul/misplay to be called, they wont, when it comes to the home team. After all they are not totally anonymous and have to return to the city, stay at hotels, eat out etc. Can be tough on the personal level so self preservation instincts take over. One can imagine the crowd reaction if no foul were called last night.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            I don't know who the foul was called on but it was definitely committed by Gasol who shoved Turk in the back causing him to stumble just before shooting the ball. It was a clear and obvious call. Does Turk get the call on the road in places like Los Angeles, Boston Cleveland etc? Probably not, but that is part of the "home court advantage".

The Raptors are developing into a very good home team. Of course they need to do more work and improve even more. However, they are getting to the point where they are beginning to become good enough at home to get the "home court advantage" calls late in the game even against good teams.
            Gasol is quoted as saying he got the foul and put his arm into Hedo's back - But of course Gasol says "I didn't push him"

I guess Hedo just fell forward on his own after Gasol's arm was on his back.

Refs got the call right.
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Well, it was an L.A. player's word and their word is worth far more than that of any lowly "small market" player representing the GTA, population 5.5M... Its probably also worth more than video evidence.

I never knew anything quantified to be 5.5M could be deemed as "small".

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Well, it was an L.A. player's word and their word is worth far more than that of any lowly "small market" player representing the GTA, population 5.5M... Its probably also worth more than video evidence.

I never knew anything quantified to be 5.5M could be deemed as "small".
                You have never lived or been in China?

Comment

Working...
                X