Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Jeff Green

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Jeff Green

    I couldn't find another thread about this, but if there is feel free to move this post to there.

    Apparently Jeff Green is healthy after his heart condition.
    If this is true, should the Raptors try to sign him? How much would you pay?

    He is only 25 years old, and can still grow, and could step in and immediately start for us.


    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This surely is an option we have to consider, but I think their are better and safer options out there. For our starting SF search I think our plan should go like this:
    1-Draft Barnes or MGK, if not:
    2-Try to trade for an elite SF (Gay, Iguodala, Smith, etc.) if not:
    3-Try to sign Batum, Wallace, Kirilenko or Green.

    If nothing of those scenarios works out, then stick to JJ as our starting SF for at least the start of next season.
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Sun Jun 17th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is he a true 3 or is he a combo forward? That is my big concern with him, he has shown he can play in the league, but what would his role be with Toronto?

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    This surely is an option we have to consider, but I think their are better and safer options out there. For our starting SF search I think our plan should go like this:
    1-Draft Barnes or MGK, if not:
    2-Try to trade for an elite SF (Gay, Iguodala, Smith, etc.) if not:
    3-Try to sign Batum, Wallace, Kirilenko or Green.

    If nothing of those scenarios works out, then stick to JJ as our starting SF for at least the start of next season.
    Unless we move up MKG and Barnes will already be picked. Iggy seems to old or us at this stage in the rebuild, and I am not a big fan of smith, of course this being all opinion. I would like to see Gay here, but it appears like he would cost us a lot (DD, Ed and #8 pick ish?) And since Green is a free agent, we do not need to give up any assets for him. Personally I would rather DD, Ed, Green and our pick to develop together then to trade for Gay.


    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Is he a true 3 or is he a combo forward? That is my big concern with him, he has shown he can play in the league, but what would his role be with Toronto?
    I always thought he was undersized as a 4, and that he was better suited at the 3. Im not 100% about his quickness on defence, but I think he is an average defender there. I feel like he can start at the 3, but that is just my opinion.

    One idea, if he is a combo-forward, it would open up a chance to trade JJ (and Amir or Ed?) for another player, well not depleting our rotation.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    This surely is an option we have to consider, but I think their are better and safer options out there. For our starting SF search I think our plan should go like this:
    1-Draft Barnes or MGK, if not:
    2-Try to trade for an elite SF (Gay, Iguodala, Smith, etc.) if not:
    3-Try to sign Batum, Wallace, Kirilenko or Green.

    If nothing of those scenarios works out, then stick to JJ as our starting SF for at least the start of next season.
    He is definitely a tweener. What I found interesting was that he was a PF in OKC with Durant at 3, even though Green was shorter. Even still he was a below average rebounder, an okay 3-point shooter, and isn't great defensively. Should we go after him? We already have enough tweeners, and really he doesn't make much sense in

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stefan5301 wrote: View Post
    He is definitely a tweener. What I found interesting was that he was a PF in OKC with Durant at 3, even though Green was shorter. Even still he was a below average rebounder, an okay 3-point shooter, and isn't great defensively. Should we go after him? We already have enough tweeners, and really he doesn't make much sense in
    I think OKC played Durant at the three and Green at 4 because Durant is a much better player, and they wanted him to play in his proper position, leaving green as the odd man out.

    Is he only below average rebounder and defender at the four only? Do you know how he played as a three? Just wondering, as I do not know myself.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Is he a true 3 or is he a combo forward? That is my big concern with him, he has shown he can play in the league, but what would his role be with Toronto?
    he is a true 3 he played 4 in OKC because they went best player available instead of need

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    he is a true 3 he played 4 in OKC because they went best player available instead of need
    He played pf in college and mostly in the nba. No true sf whatsoever. Besides, hè has never proven to be any good, certainly not for the money he will probably be asking and somehow might even get. He is still nothing more than a tease.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would take at run at him. $6-7mil a season seems about right.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    London,ON
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would go for him, he is better than the SF's we have. He is a legit SF, but had to play the 4 in OKC.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    T.O.
    Posts
    1,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I always loved Green's game.

    He should be a safety signing though. Make a move for Gay or a higher pick and if all that fails (which it probably will), make a play for Green.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Is he a true 3 or is he a combo forward? That is my big concern with him, he has shown he can play in the league, but what would his role be with Toronto?
    Who cares. We could use both. The more versatile the better.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3209/jeff-green

    not the greatest shooter

    http://www.nba.com/playerfile/andre_iguodala/
    looks like iggy is more than marginally better

    as a consolation prize if we didnt trade the pick for one of the better players or barnes doesn't drop, at the right price he would be a good signing. i think that 6-7 is too high. a one or two year 3-5 million seems like what he should be getting to prove his heart is ok.

    i can see a better team then us offering an exception at those prices.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah I'm not going to throw money at a guy that just missed a entire season with a heart condition. Call me crazy.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    692
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was just watching some of his highlights. He seems alright. I'm not sure how I feel about taking a run at a guy who had heart surgery. He's a big down-er from who I really want ... Rudy Gay. Also, if the contract he woul command is in the area of 5-6 million, I don't see why Boston would not want to offer him that. He wants to be a Celtic & a core of Rondo, Bass, Bradley, Jeff Green and 2 rookies is a good place to start.

    Rudy Gay first. Iggy second. Batum third. Kirilenko fourth. Jeff Green next. Then if nothing else, James Johnson stays as our 3 & hopefully, he somehow gets his shot fixed (very flat and no rotation).
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter Quirk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We don't need Jeff Green, he's not better than JJ or Kleiza.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Yeah I'm not going to throw money at a guy that just missed a entire season with a heart condition. Call me crazy.
    +1

  18. #18
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Yeah I'm not going to throw money at a guy that just missed a entire season with a heart condition. Call me crazy.
    Crazy

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,300
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    We don't need Jeff Green, he's not better than JJ or Kleiza.
    Yes he is.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Not a bad second option

    Pretty sure the implication was not Green over Gay or Iggy. But if those two are unobtainable... (which they most likely are)

    Green is a tweener but still an improvement over JJ and Kleiza. Hes young, and because of his condition will probably be great value for the money hel be offered.

    I wouldn't offer him more than 5 mil, and max 2 year contract because of the risk. But if you think of it, he can be a legitimate starter if healthy (Im sure BC will do his homework) and is young, for about 4-5 mil, compare that to a 12+ wed have to pay a star like the ones above it doesn't seem bad at all as a second option. Plus as ppl have said you dont have to give up picks or young value like Ed Davis.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •