Overseas Stash Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas Stash Job

just realized the title of my thread sounds like something you might order in the red light district of Amsterdam

Anyways there are some intriguing Euro prospects that could be kept overseas a few more years.

Since we have the 8th pick and a draft pick already coming over, I don't think four rookies is in the cards for our team.

PG - Tomas Satoransky
    SG - Evan Fournier
    SF - Tornike Shengelia
    PF - Furkan Aldemir
    C - Kostas Papanikolaou

feel free to google any one of these but Tomas is a 6'8" PG - and Furkan is very solid 6'10" PF

I say we use our second rounders on the two I just mentioned and let them sit overseas much like JV did, for two years while we check in with them (send Mckechnie over) etc... Draft and stash is an excellent way to evaluate guys and bring them over when they and the team hosting them are ready. It costs us nothing on the cap, and is a potential trade asset. Best of all...if they don't work out....non guaranteed second rounders
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

I love Satoransky's game ... he could be a nice combo guard.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papanikolaou is not a C, He's a SF, not big enough for a PF. He's been on the radar for years, but never shine. He made the news because he led the comeback by Olympiacos at the Euroleague Final. He'll be 23 next season.

Aldemir is a raw post player. Not very talented or athletic but with a good motor.
      Fournier is very similar to Belinelli, he's game will match good with the NBA bettar than in Europe.
      Satoransky is a nice prospect. Very tall and athletic for a PG but with a good basketball IQ and court vision. He's an interested prospect that the Raps could have with the 37th and let him develope in Spain.
      I love Shengelia's game. He's a combo foward. Very similar to Nocioni's best years. Not very athletic but he likes contact and is very agressive actaking the basket.

Comment

I love Aldemir's name. He's Furkan unbelievable.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
            I'm guessing you're not very good at pronouncing Turkish names?

Comment

I think they will most likely be looking to stash a player in Europe with #56. And I would love to grab Satoransky with #37 if he is still there, whether he comes over this year or not.

Comment

Kostas Papanikolaou looks very interesting. He's definitely the one I'd go for with one of our 2nd rounders, no brainer if he's there for our late 2nd. Probably would take Jae Crowder or Will Barton instead with our early 2nd though, or Kevin Jones. If the team makes some good choices, there are real sleepers available late in the draft this year. I could see any of Papanikolaou, Crowder, Barton or KJones getting high up in the rookie rankings next year if they get on the team and earn the minutes. K-Papa could be Garbo 2.0 for us.
                Last edited by Quirk; Sun Jun 17, 2012, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I like the concept of the overseas stash pick. What's to lose with having talent develop with some else on the snide for the pay cheque?

Looking at the history of Raptors second round picks, it's very underwhelming that there isn't anybody that sticks out as decent player. Jimmy King, Roko Ukic and Alabi are really the only ones that had more than a cup of coffee in the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto..._draft_history
                  Last edited by stretch; Sun Jun 17, 2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                    Kostas Papanikolaou looks very interesting. He's definitely the one I'd go for with one of our 2nd rounders, no brainer if he's there for our late 2nd. Probably would take Jae Crowder or Will Barton instead with our early 2nd though, or Kevin Jones. If the team makes some good choices, there are real sleepers available late in the draft this year. I could see any of Papanikolaou, Crowder, Barton or KJones getting high up in the rookie rankings next year if they get on the team and earn the minutes. K-Papa could be Garbo 2.0 for us.
                    Yeah, I haven't watched a lot of Papanikolaou outside of highlight reels which usually emphasize his dunks, but every time I read his scouting report, I can't help thinking Garbo... leadership and effort, a guy who makes key plays, contributes to the game in a lot of different ways from shooting to rebounds to blocks and steals.

Comment

I've been reading up quite a bit on Satoransky...I have a sneaking suspicion that we will be seeing him in TO in the not to distant future.
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Nemanja Nedovic. I don't know much about him, but he does seem like a European Derrick Rose

edit: he just withdrew his name from the draft. Bummer
                        Last edited by torch19; Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:38 AM.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Not interested in Nedovic.

Kostas Sloukas looks pretty interesting. Unreal TS%, nice Assist/TO played significant productive minutes on a great Euroleague team, known as an up-and-coming "Floor General" with great leadership potential.

Not sure of his draft eligibility. We can probably just sign him.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                            Not interested in Nedovic.

Kostas Sloukas looks pretty interesting. Unreal TS%, nice Assist/TO played significant productive minutes on a great Euroleague team, known as an up-and-coming "Floor General" with great leadership potential.

Not sure of his draft eligibility. We can probably just sign him.
                            I am just getting a better feel for this guy as well, looks like a "traditional" PG, and could stay in Europe for a year or two. If we don't grab a PG with the #8 pick, I would be happy taking him in the second round as a future asset. I believe his age makes him automatically eligible for the 2012 draft, if undrafted this year he would be free to sign with any NBA club. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GuSjUw_XbQ HIs passing is in the last minute of the video.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

You know that the overseas stash job doesn't have to be a Euro, right? I could also see Toronto using a 2nd on an American and asking him to play overseas for a year or two to gain experience.
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Working...
                              X