Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mock Draft 7.0 - Raptors select.....Dion Waiters

Post Thanks / Like

My only worry with Waiters is his D. It's been well documented that he isn't that great, though it should be noted hes only ever played zone. In any case, I'm sure Casey can work his magic with him.

Raptors Republic Starter japetas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Today big names in Raptors workouts - Lamb, Rivers, Barnes and Machado, waiting for the interviews
    (Sorry for poor English )

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant wait to hear Sleepy Lamb and his upbeat view on events.

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be pretty cool if we got a player in the second round that could actually be useful.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What position would Waiters play though? I can't see management moving DeMar to the 3 and they seem to like DeMar so I wouldn't expect that he be traded. That only leaves the PG spot and I can't see Waiters fitting into that roll. From the little I've seen he seems to be less of a willing passer than Bayless. It would be a waste to use the pick on a player that would be best served coming off the bench since we're in bad need of starters.

I'm still seeing Lillard as the better fit, but damn it I really like Waiters' ability to get to the hole.

Post Thanks / Like

Instant offense coming off the bench for both guard spots.

If waiters ends up being better than Demar, trade Demar.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we had a .500 season was '07 - '08. I think we need to build our starting roster before we start looking at players coming off the bench in order to get back to some sort of respectablity. I agree that if Waiters is better than DeMar they should trade DeMar, but management seems to be pretty high on him and if Bargnani is any indication they will give DeMar every chance possible to prove himself.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Waiters at 8 is stupid, i'm sorry but thats just not a good idea at all. He's project out of the lottery and there are better players available that we could pick. I'm all for Lillard or PJ3

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think PJ3 has been scheduled for any private workouts with Toronto. That is about as clear of a sign the Raptors are not looking at him as I can imagine. Sorry, I know you are a big fan of his as am I, but it may not be in the cards...

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I don't think PJ3 has been scheduled for any private workouts with Toronto. That is about as clear of a sign the Raptors are not looking at him as I can imagine. Sorry, I know you are a big fan of his as am I, but it may not be in the cards...
    Hasn't scheduled a workout? Or hasn't scheduled a workout yet?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I think either would indicate a lack of interest on the part of the Raptors. It's just a guess, but scheduling players early allows you with enough time to schedule them for a second workout. Scheduling them in later is just doing your due diligence.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    The last time we had a .500 season was '07 - '08. I think we need to build our starting roster before we start looking at players coming off the bench in order to get back to some sort of respectablity. I agree that if Waiters is better than DeMar they should trade DeMar, but management seems to be pretty high on him and if Bargnani is any indication they will give DeMar every chance possible to prove himself.
    Except that every interview in the past week or so and most of the guys who have been in for workouts make me wonder about Demar's future at the 2... Lamb, Rivers, Terrence Ross, Beal... are all SGs. Lillard and Marshall and Ty Taylor, PGs. Only Barnes -- and Harkless, who has been mentioned a lot but hasn't worked out yet and is a big reach at 8 -- are SF prospects.

I dunno, but I still think Colangelo will try to fill SF through sign/trade vs. draft, and go with the BPA -- which will most likely be a backup SG, or if they're lucky, Lillard -- if they stay at 8. Which means DD is probably safe for now, unless the guy they pick is a SG who somehow ends up being a stud from Day 1.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Cant wait to hear Sleepy Lamb and his upbeat view on events.
    i will save you the time "um it went good. um um then good and um we did some good stuff" he better be smart with his money or its mop and broom time for him

Post Thanks / Like

Austin Rivers, Damian Lillard, Perry Jones.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't rank Rivers above Lillard, but think he is the dark horse of this draft. He reminds be of Kobe in his attitude. He isn't an elite athelete though so I don't know how high his ceiling is, but he's the type of guy whose eyes are gonna get real big when he's playing against a star player. He'll take it to them every time to try and prove himself.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Waiters at 8 is stupid, i'm sorry but thats just not a good idea at all. He's project out of the lottery and there are better players available that we could pick. I'm all for Lillard or PJ3
    Waiters is a project? But PJ3 isn't?
    I wouldn't be upset with Waiters,
    When Manu and Harden come off the bench, SAS and OKC seem to do pretty well......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote rus wrote: View Post
    Waiters is a project? But PJ3 isn't?
    I wouldn't be upset with Waiters,
    When Manu and Harden come off the bench, SAS and OKC seem to do pretty well......
    we are looking for STARTERS not bench players. i meant to say he's projected outside the top 14(the lottery) and it would be too much of a reach to choose him. He is definitely not that good. PJ3 is a project but he's got mad potential, but right now i want lillard or Rivers

Post Thanks / Like

we are looking for STARTERS not bench players. i meant to say he's projected outside the top 14(the lottery) and it would be too much of a reach to choose him. He is definitely not that good. PJ3 is a project but he's got mad potential, but right now i want lillard or Rivers
    It was interesting to note in the Casey interview (see the Coach Casey thread) that he mentioned it was unlikely the Raps would get a starting calibur player with the #8 pick. He felt they would get a solid player with great potential, who could contribute on the 2nd unit (and likely could become a starter eventually), but that it was doubtful that an immediate impact player was going to be available. I don't think any of the players mentioned - including Lillard and Rivers - are going to be starters next season.

It goes with what I've been saying about this draft for quite awhile... it is deep with a good 15-20 players who will be very solid rotation players, but it is very shallow when it comes to surefire starters (on most teams even Davis @ 1st overall would be best served coming off the bench, being as raw as he is).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It was interesting to note in the Casey interview (see the Coach Casey thread) that he mentioned it was unlikely the Raps would get a starting calibur player with the #8 pick. He felt they would get a solid player with great potential, who could contribute on the 2nd unit (and likely could become a starter eventually), but that it was doubtful that an immediate impact player was going to be available. I don't think any of the players mentioned - including Lillard and Rivers - are going to be starters next season.

It goes with what I've been saying about this draft for quite awhile... it is deep with a good 15-20 players who will be very solid rotation players, but it is very shallow when it comes to surefire starters (on most teams even Davis @ 1st overall would be best served coming off the bench, being as raw as he is).
    Well most rookies unless you are like LeBron or Durant will not start in their first season. If we draft Lillard he wont start right off the bat but if he impresses i don't think casey will hesitate to inject him into the starting lineup.

Post Thanks / Like

Well most rookies unless you are like LeBron or Durant will not start in their first season. If we draft Lillard he wont start right off the bat but if he impresses i don't think casey will hesitate to inject him into the starting lineup.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I really like Lillard as a prospect and would be quite happy if the Raps draft him @ #8 (though I think it's more likely Portland grabs him @ #6). I just find it interesting to hear Casey warn fans not to expect an immediate impact player with the #8 pick, even in a draft that is being hyped as a loaded, deep draft. I actually appreciate his honesty and frankness, as opposed to trying to sell the fanbase on a star coming on board... it's refreshing to hear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information