Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why doesn't the media support the Canadian U18 basketball team?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Didn't mean to imply anything else but 1) I don't believe there are any full-time basketball coaches in Canada and 2) with 10 times the population, and with basketball being a bigger deal south of the border than north, there is more choice if you are looking for top level coaching. Better programs, better facilities and a guy who can work with you the whole school year, getting ready for the season, during the season and then after the season until school is over. Then most even minor centres have very high level non-school programs.

Overall the competition is better and coaching is better (I make the assumption that a player moving to the states to improve his basketball is going to one of the pre-eminent locations available to them, not just to any old high-school).
    While there are no paid high school (public) coaches in Canada, there are many that run a program all year long, I know, I have been involved in a couple programs as a coach. The season in NS starts official try outs in high school in October, games begin in November and playoffs finish in March. April we start working with our returning players and the junior high kids around the community, we do a small spring league and also take a group to a team camp in July. We put on a summer cap in August and then start a conditioning/skills group in September. This is not uncommon in NS, and for the size of the province we produce many post secondary ball players. My team alone is sending all 5 seniors to CIS and CCAA schools this year. We have a shooting machine, resistance bands, agility ladders, weighted balls, and much more for our kids....and we are not a Metro school. I would say that the "rural" schools out here do a better job than the metro schools in developing talent and teaching kids the right way to play. We just don't get the depth of talent.

Post Thanks / Like

@Puffer, Things have changed a lot even in the last 20 years. When I played high school ball there were very few opps to play outside of school. The regional and provincial teams were dominated by a good ol' boys club that made sure the kids with the right names got on those teams. When my nephew played 6 or 7 years ago, there were all sorts of all-star teams, spring and fall teams, etc. for kids to play on. Even the really good players I played with (guys who went on to play university ball here or in the States) only played 6 months a year. Now, you play all year round.

The big difference is the level of competition more than the coaching. But that's always been true and is true in every sport other than hockey. Hell, I remember driving down to the States all the time for baseball tourneys cause there just weren't enough events in western Canada. That was, man, 25 years ago?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, they just beat Argentina. 3-0, going to worlds, good shot to make the final here against the USA.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

They already made the worlds by being in the final four...this huge win against Argentina puts them in the tournament finals, likely against the US.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

The 3 wins have been done without Wiggins or Rathan-Mayes playing all that well. Wiggins has been good, not great yet, but Lyles has been a beast, if we make to teh finals and meet up with the USA, I think I guys will be ready to get up for the game.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada plays in the semi finals next against the loser of the USA/Brazil game. It's going to be Brazil.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug Smith has always been very vocal about the National teams both on his blog and in the paper. The problem as others have mentioned is the zero thought that senior marketers, media buyers etc give to ball. They have been traditionally very slow to adapt to emerging trends in advertising. They all play it safe, pat each other on the back for a job well done and count each and every penny for themselves. Trust me, I'm in the advertising biz and I get laughed out of meetings anytime I bring up ball despite the fact we have a lot of major sports clients. Advertising pays the bills and the people who sign off are all old, non risk taking, mostly waspy canadians who can recite the hockey sweater from memory but still ask me why they don't use the red white ad blue ball anymore. Newspapers are no different. Ever hear of an advetorial? it's an article that is set up to reinforce advertising that is usually found in the same section.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Canada plays in the semi finals next against the loser of the USA/Brazil game. It's going to be Brazil.
    Game is on right now, if anyone else is interested.

http://www.fibaamericas.com/en/default.asp

Canada up 23-18 after one, with Rathan-Mayes scoring 12 of Canada's points.

Post Thanks / Like

\Canada down at half time....lets turn it around in the second!

edit: Canada comes out strong to start 3rd quarter and comes from down 4 to up 3 in 2 1/2 minutes.
    Last edited by WJF; Tue Jun 19th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote speedbag wrote: View Post
    I really don't know the answer to this. We have the best player for that age group in the world in Andrew Wiggins (who has always supported team Canada), we also have the 7th best player in Trey Lyles... who may move up soon. He had 17 point and 16 points at half in the first game against Puerto Rico, and he's smooth. The talent and defense this team shows is unreal. This is the best crop of Canadian talent and they've been medalists in every age group, and I'm sure it will continue. Why doesn't a sports network pick this up... why doesn't someone write an article on it. Canada's next game is today at 8, it's streams in low quality from the home page of this site, close to the bottom. http://www.fibaamericas.com

I also found an interesting story about http://ciabouncebasketball.com/home last year. They beat the US east and central teams before loosing in the finals to the US West team by 1 points.

It's a bright future for hoops in Canada, but if we need to support them.
    This is a great post and I thank you for bringing it up.

I have seen a lot of youth basketball in Ontario. The competition is RABID and escalating year after year. Tristin Thompson is a trail blazer.

After Wiggins expect a steady increasing stream of Canadian talent in the NCAA and NBA.

Because of CIA Bounce other clubs in Scarborough Oakville Brampton and Toronto Proper there is a ton of competition and talent required to make great players.

In time JR. basketball will get it's due - I think it is inevitable.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

The bubble has been burst. The match up with the US team is not happening. Canada plays Argentina for third place tomorrow. The good news is that Canada has qualified for the U19 World Championship next year.

The U17 World Championships are at the end of this month in Lithuania. Lyles and Wiggins are eligible age wise. I am wondering if they will join the Cadet team.

Post Thanks / Like

The bubble has been burst. The match up with the US team is not happening. Canada plays Argentina for third place tomorrow. The good news is that Canada has qualified for the U19 World Championship next year.

The U17 World Championships are at the end of this month in Lithuania. Lyles and Wiggins are eligible age wise. I am wondering if they will join the Cadet team.
    To answer my own question, Lyles and Wiggins are not on Canada's U17 team that's going to Lithuania. The roster was announced today.

http://www.basketball.ca/2012-cmnt-r...ounced-p150949

Post Thanks / Like

To answer my own question, Lyles and Wiggins are not on Canada's U17 team that's going to Lithuania. The roster was announced today.

http://www.basketball.ca/2012-cmnt-r...ounced-p150949
    But could they be added late? I thought Wiggins or Pangos did that last year.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure but with only a week until the event I am thinking that the roster is set with the twelve names. The USA U17 roster was announced a few days ago also.
    Last edited by stretch; Wed Jun 20th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That loss to Brazil was tough...they really couldn't have shot the ball any worse. Talent wise they should've been in the gold medal game against the US, but bad games happen :/.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    That loss to Brazil was tough...they really couldn't have shot the ball any worse. Talent wise they should've been in the gold medal game against the US, but bad games happen :/.
    disappointing I agree - grass roots ball is still on the rise in Canada though.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Post Thanks / Like

Canada gets the bronze at the Fiba Americas U18 tournament with a two point victory over Argentina. The US won the gold easily over Brazil.

http://www.basketball.ca/jmnt-wins-b...as-u18-p150975

Men's U17 World Championship is next week with Women's Senior team trying to qualify for the Olympics soon after that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information