Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: HUGE trade (Partly Credits to CalgaryRapsFan)

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default HUGE trade (Partly Credits to CalgaryRapsFan)

    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8ylwc4x

    Bulls trade Luol Deng & CJ Watson
    Bulls get Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes & 10th pick

    Hornets trade Trevor Ariza & 10th pick
    Hornets get James Johnson & 56th pick

    Raptors trade Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes & 56th pick
    Raptors get Luol Deng, CJ Watson & Trevor Ariza

    All that without losing any of Calderon, DeMar, Ed, Amir, Bargnani, JV, the 8th pick and the 37th pick.

    Imagine that team:
    Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire/Alabi
    Bargnani/Johnson/Davis
    Deng/Ariza
    DeRozan/Lamb/Joseph
    Calderon/Bayless/Watson

    Give your thoughts on that. I love that trade.
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Mon Jun 18th, 2012 at 01:01 PM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Irrelevant post sorry
    Last edited by charlesnba23; Mon Jun 18th, 2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Irrelevant

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Nobody agrees? Disagrees?

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I get charlotte really want to get rid of ariza and okafor's contracts but i don't see them being that desperate
    @jerboat

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, I think we'd definitely need to sweeten the pot for both teams, especially New Orleans... at a minimum, including Davis. But if you could make this work, even including Davis and upgrading the draft pick to Chicago to the 34th, I think it's a great pair of moves for Toronto.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We could add Barbosa's trade exception and our 37th pick.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Have you guys looked at it from a salary perspective?

    My math could be off, but..

    We have 12 Mill cap space before the draft
    We take in 14 Mill from that trade
    We also need to pay the salaries of the 8th pick (2-3 Mill) and JV (3-4 Mill)

    Even if we do not resign Bayless, that puts us over the cap by 7-10 Mill...

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Refined offer

    Well that means any trade or big signing would put us over the cap? Anyway, here's a refined version of the trade, which I think would be fair for each team:

    Bulls trade Luol Deng & CJ Watson
    Bulls get Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes, 10th pick and 56th pick

    Raptors trade Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes, Ed Davis, James Johnson, 37th pick, 56th pick & Barbosa's TE
    Raptors get Luol Deng, CJ Watson, Trevor Ariza & Greivis Vasquez

    Hornets trade Trevor Ariza, Greivis Vasquez & 10th pick
    Hornets get Ed Davis, James Johnson, 37th pick & Barbosa's TE

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hello wrote: View Post
    Have you guys looked at it from a salary perspective?

    My math could be off, but..

    We have 12 Mill cap space before the draft
    We take in 14 Mill from that trade
    We also need to pay the salaries of the 8th pick (2-3 Mill) and JV (3-4 Mill)

    Even if we do not resign Bayless, that puts us over the cap by 7-10 Mill...
    70.3 is the magic number - luxury tax.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Well that means any trade or big signing would put us over the cap? Anyway, here's a refined version of the trade, which I think would be fair for each team:

    Bulls trade Luol Deng & CJ Watson
    Bulls get Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes, 10th pick and 56th pick

    Raptors trade Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza, Gary Forbes, Ed Davis, James Johnson, 37th pick, 56th pick & Barbosa's TE
    Raptors get Luol Deng, CJ Watson, Trevor Ariza & Greivis Vasquez

    Hornets trade Trevor Ariza, Greivis Vasquez & 10th pick
    Hornets get Ed Davis, James Johnson, 37th pick & Barbosa's TE
    A couple of things:
    1. The Bulls don't necessarily HAVE to trade Deng. The guy is an all-star and was a 2nd team all-nba defensive team. While they'd be chasing a top-10 pick, they're not necessarily looking to add salary. They might take Calderon, but why the need to trade Watson for Kleiza and Forbes?
    2. If the Raptors were indeed to acquire Deng, why do they need Ariza?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    A couple of things:
    1. The Bulls don't necessarily HAVE to trade Deng. The guy is an all-star and was a 2nd team all-nba defensive team. While they'd be chasing a top-10 pick, they're not necessarily looking to add salary. They might take Calderon, but why the need to trade Watson for Kleiza and Forbes?
    2. If the Raptors were indeed to acquire Deng, why do they need Ariza?
    1. Because Kleiza would suddenly help them at the 3 spot and they won't need Watson anymore with Calderon aboard. Forbes can play the 2 and the 3, plus he's still young and not paid much.
    2.They don't need Ariza, but for Chicago to get the 10th pick, Raptors need to take Ariza's contract.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    1. Because Kleiza would suddenly help them at the 3 spot and they won't need Watson anymore with Calderon aboard. Forbes can play the 2 and the 3, plus he's still young and not paid much.
    2.They don't need Ariza, but for Chicago to get the 10th pick, Raptors need to take Ariza's contract.
    1. Does Kleiza suddenly help us at our 3 position? You have to remember, Chicago doesn't have to trade Deng at all. They're looking to shed salary, but at the same time, if they are looking to trade Deng, they're looking to get the best deal possible as well. They would be willing to take a young(er) guy with upside (ie Davis), but chances are, they're not looking to pick up either Kleiza or Forbes (or both). Also, Watson could be a FA if the Bulls don't pick up his option.
    2. That's just awful. 2 years of Ariza to swing that deal? That's brutal.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't see why the Bulls would rather want Davis than Kleiza or Forbes. They already got Noah, Gibson, Boozer and possibly Asik up front. Also, I don't think they would get a much better offer than Calderon+10th pick for Deng. And Forbes and Kleiza are both born in 1985, they are still relatively young!

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    I don't see why the Bulls would rather want Davis than Kleiza or Forbes. They already got Noah, Gibson, Boozer and possibly Asik up front. Also, I don't think they would get a much better offer than Calderon+10th pick for Deng. And Forbes and Kleiza are both born in 1985, they are still relatively young!
    You don't see why the Bulls would rather want Davis as opposed to Forbes and Kleiza?

    And like I said in previous posts, the Bulls are not obliged to deal Deng, so if they don't get a deal that's good for them, they don't have to pull the trigger.

  15. #15
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like that the Raptors don't have to give up the lotto pick. I'm not sure they can get a better wing in FA than Deng without paying that kind of money anyway.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    +1, that's my point. Thanks Apollo!

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think backup PG is as pressing for the bulls as everyone makes it out to be. They KILLED teams without rose throughout the regular season. They just couldn't score when it counted because their wing play was totally meh.

    I think Chicago is trying to get into the lotto to get a 2 guard to take the scoring/defensive/ball handling burden off Rose. Someone like Rivers or Lamb. Deng's a good player but he can't really create his own shot and Hamilton is about to hit the glue factory.

    So with all that said, maybe Demar for Deng (with minor pieces NO picks) works better?

    Calderon/Machado?/Uzoh
    Waiters/Forbes
    Deng/JJ
    Bargs/Ed/Amir
    JV/Gray

    Is a pretty good lineup, nice blend of youth and experience.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah that's a good lineup, but I doubt that moving DeMar for Deng is a good move. DeMar is 4 years younger than Deng and he's paid a lot less. I think we should stick to DeMar at least another year and trade him only if we can land a guy like Rudy Gay in return. DeMar still got tremendous potential, don't forget it. And I'd rather get a SF like Perry Jones than Waiters, personnally. But yeah, this would be a pretty good lineup.

    Also. Don't you think a minute that Calderon would've help the Bulls in those playoffs? I think he would have made a huge difference. Plus the Bulls already got the 10th pick if they do the trade I propose, so they could draft their shooting guard with it.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well this trade no longer works now that New Orleans have traded Okafor and Ariza for Rashard Lewis and the No. 46 pick...

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •