View Poll Results: Who will the Toronto Raptors take with the #8 pick in the 2012 Draft?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Damian Lillard, PG, Weber State

32 51.61%
  • Jeremy Lamb, SG, Connecticut

2 3.23%
  • Dion Waiters, SG, Syracus

13 20.97%
  • Kendall Marshall, PG, North Carolina

4 6.45%
  • Austin Rivers, SG, Duke

9 14.52%
  • Terrence Ross, SG/SF, Washington

1 1.61%
  • Jared Sullinger, PF, Ohio State

0 0%
  • Meyers Leonard, C, Illinois

1 1.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft: Fan Edition - 8th Overall Pick

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lilliard. Get the QB of the future who can be mentored by the QB of the present. I like Bayless but I think his best spot is as a 6th man.

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    I took Rivers, He will be one of the late lotto picks that surprise everyone in a few years.

The other reason is because I have a strong feeling there is a trade going on between ther Raptors and Pheonix.
    The trade would involve our pick8 (waiters ) and ttheir pick13 (rivers). Also probably involving steve Nash(sign and trade) and Calderon( 1 year Pg rental/trade chip and cap flex)

This is based only on my opinion but it just seems to ironic that they both have a draft promise and both phoenix and toronto were linked to these promises.

Id be happy with Waiters but i want *** RIVERS*** (this kid will be a solid pro)
    +1 wow, that would be amazing. I vote for this plan. Also, I have a hunch that Austin Rivers will have a better career than Lillard in the nba.. Its going to be a close one because Lillard is one heck of a player.
    Last edited by Ambidextrious; Tue Jun 19th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I took Rivers, He will be one of the late lotto picks that surprise everyone in a few years.

The other reason is because I have a strong feeling there is a trade going on between ther Raptors and Pheonix.
    The trade would involve our pick8 (waiters ) and ttheir pick13 (rivers). Also probably involving steve Nash(sign and trade) and Calderon( 1 year Pg rental/trade chip and cap flex)

This is based only on my opinion but it just seems to ironic that they both have a draft promise and both phoenix and toronto were linked to these promises.

Id be happy with Waiters but i want *** RIVERS*** (this kid will be a solid pro)
    Actually kind of makes sense, assuming Nash has decided he wants to sign with Toronto. From Toronto's perspective, it would be a great deal in that it preserves the full approx. $12M in cap space, to pursue additional trades/signings this offseason. Rivers would give Toronto a backup SG / 6th-man sparkplug (Barbosa 2.0), who could also push DD to SF in a smaller lineup.

Toronto would still need to upgrade the starting SF position and find a backup PG, but they'd still have tradeable assets (ie: Bayless S&T, Amir/Davis, JJ, Forbes) and loads of cap space. Plus, they could draft or trade their two 2nd round picks, as additional assets.

Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I pick Austin Rivers, i just have a feeling he's gonna be real good. He's not scared of taking big shots and he could give the raptors that added swagger. That said, would there be a chance pj3 falls to our laps on the 2nd round?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
    That said, would there be a chance pj3 falls to our laps on the 2nd round?
    Not a chance. The high risk side will scare away many lottery teams, but his upside will be really appealing to playoff teams who can afford to swing for the fences.

Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Davis - NO
    2. Beal - Charlotte
    3. MKG - Washington
    4. Barnes - Cleveland
    5. P. Jones - Sacramento
    6. Drummond - Portland
    7. Marshall - Golden State

If Marshall is still there - to which I voted as such - BC will be stuck between choosing potential, and keeping his job. Marshall is potential - IMO. He could fit right in with Jose. Learn the ropes. Minimal pressure at first. Give Jose some extra time - a little less demanding per game. BC could then fill the SF spot with a veteran, who's young enough, and with game. Either through a trade or free agency. Could be potential in the making.

However, since I've already tagged Kendall as GSW's property, I'm betting Raptors choose Lillard, despite how Waiters is being touted - albeit, he is an interesting prospect. I don't think BC has time for Dion. To me, DW is too much SG - not enough passer.

Revised Picks:

1. Davis - NO
    2. Beal - Charlotte
    3. MKG - Washington
    4. Barnes - Cleveland
    5. P. Jones - Sacramento
    6. Drummond - Portland
    7. Marshall - Golden State - potential at the PG spot
    8. Toronto - Damian Lillard

With Lillard, things can change in a very positive way.

• Damian Lillard can bring extra scoring, plus 3 point spacing. He averaged 3 - Three pointers per game
    • Lillard is a quasi PG with a SG's touch. He'll bring another ball-handler to the court - should Jose double up with DL.
    • Raptors need to get to the line more often - Damian could help with that (8.0 FTA). And a 88.7% average.
    • Add Bargnani at the perimeter - really spacing the floor - and the inside lanes will encourage more in-the-paint scoring.
    • Gives a hopefully stronger Demar - at the SF spot - a better match-up opportunity, and greater ability to attack.
    • Jonas will benefit
    • As Lillard provides an improved perimeter presence - Andrea will see benefits as well. He'll either bring out a Big to the perimeter, or be more apt to break down his defender.
    • Jose could play 28 - 30 minutes, giving his body a chance to maintain itself. Maybe even missed a few games (for a bad cough), while Lillard tries out a Start. And if the future works well, roles could change between these 2 guys.
    • Amir would have more room to maneuver

All in all, I believe Raptors could surprise people this year. Improving their 3 point shooting, getting to the line more, and Casey having a true Camp ...... these 3 factors - if successful - could surprise us with their results. Taking a chance on a PG like Lillard, with great potential, is something Toronto has to consider. BC can secure the ship with a good SF signing, along with adding a true Big (back-up).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking these three. In order.

1. Damian Lillard
    2. Austin Rivers
    3. Perry Jones III

Go Big or Go Home as I've stated all season.

I think bringing in a more mature character like Rivers or Lillard adds character overall to the team. Two very confident in their abilities. Austin Rivers' skill level is a pure upgrade to Forbes, and his overall skill is better than Demar's with the ball-handling, and the outside shooting.

Lillard is within' the mold of today's best point guards, and his worst potential is a player we already have, who is actually solid. Thus considering him to be not just a big pick, but a safe pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Lillard or Waiters
    Agreed. Rivers is very unlikely to be a very good NBA player, and I'm meh on Lamb. Even Waiters doesn't really fill me with confidence. There so many interesting players lower in the draft like Will Barton or Jae Crowder, that if we don't get Lillard I'd rather trade down, with Waiters being the only other option I'd be OK, but not thrilled, with keeping.

If Lillard is on the board at 8, we grab him.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Rivers
    2. Lillard
    3. Waiters
    4. PJ3 (as a SF)
    5. Lamb
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I say PJ3 or Lilard. If Lilard passes portland, he's ours. If not, take PJ3.

Also, i think of the top 6, barnes will most likely fall. Unfortunately he will fall right to golden state who is also in need of a SF.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for Lillard. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if the PJ3 rumours start heating up after tomorrow's workout in Toronto.

I have no interest in either Waiters or Rivers. I would much rather trade down, and go with someone like Wroten Jr.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting scenario. But what happens if Waiters goes higher than 8th? Hollinger has him rated 4th overall.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

So let's say, hypothetically, that the top five are Davis, MKG, Beal, Robinson, Drummond (in any order). And let's suppose that Portland is really high on Lillard, as some suspect they are. It's also generally thought that GS isn't going to be that interested in Lillard. So... is there an asset we could give Portland to swap picks and grab Barnes? If Barnes was on the board at 6, I'd give up Davis or J. Johnson or both our second rounders, or some combination of similar assets to move up. Baring something unexpected at 7, Portland gets the guy they want plus an extra useful asset, and we get the wing player we've wanted since before the draft last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    So let's say, hypothetically, that the top five are Davis, MKG, Beal, Robinson, Drummond (in any order). And let's suppose that Portland is really high on Lillard, as some suspect they are. It's also generally thought that GS isn't going to be that interested in Lillard. So... is there an asset we could give Portland to swap picks and grab Barnes? If Barnes was on the board at 6, I'd give up Davis or J. Johnson or both our second rounders, or some combination of similar assets to move up. Baring something unexpected at 7, Portland gets the guy they want plus an extra useful asset, and we get the wing player we've wanted since before the draft last year.
    Interesting thought, especially since I totally agree that GS wouldn't draft Lillard. If MKG/Barnes were to drop to 6, I wonder if Portland might just draft them and let Batum play SG? They could look to grab a PG with their second lottery pick (Waiters or Marshall), or via free agency.

If they aren't interested in a SF and are locked-in on Lillard, I would think that offering Davis or JJ or #37 would be enough to entice them to drop 2 spots, to still draft the guy they want. Plus, it would have the added bonus of seeing MKG/Barnes drafted by an Eastern Conference team, as opposed to GS.

Draft night is going to be fun!

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Interesting scenario. But what happens if Waiters goes higher than 8th? Hollinger has him rated 4th overall.
    I dont think Waiters was actually slotted to go 4th overall. Hollinger was simply demonstrating the draft based on every team using PER stats for selection method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I'm taking these three. In order.

1. Damian Lillard
    2. Austin Rivers
    3. Perry Jones III

Go Big or Go Home as I've stated all season.

I think bringing in a more mature character like Rivers or Lillard adds character overall to the team. Two very confident in their abilities. Austin Rivers' skill level is a pure upgrade to Forbes, and his overall skill is better than Demar's with the ball-handling, and the outside shooting.

Lillard is within' the mold of today's best point guards, and his worst potential is a player we already have, who is actually solid. Thus considering him to be not just a big pick, but a safe pick.
    these my picks too. though its a tough pull up between lillard and rivers.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with 'go big or go home' is that Lillard is not a go big type of player. He is a shoot first point guard. That is not going big, that's just going stupid. If we had to have a rookie point guard (which I don't agree with) then I'd rather have Marshall.

I'm not sure about Dion Waiters still because I think his ceiling is a great 6th man. This is not the time for the Raptors to look for a good 6th man, we have to fill our starting roster first! I'd rather draft someone who has a ceiling of a solid starter (who could also be risky and just completely flop), over a guy who might be a great 6th man some day.

Therefore my pick is Austin Rivers, even though I think he could be had later on in the draft. From what I've seen his attitude is cocky, he doesn't seem to play that much defense, but he's relentless at getting to the basket. He is what I've wanted to see DeRozan do for 3 years now. His refusal to do it is why we need Austin Rivers. Also, when your dad is Doc Rivers you must have an incredible, incredible understanding of the game.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Lamb
    2. Rivers
    3. Lillard
    However the closer to the draft it's getting I'm starting to realize lamb will not be taken by the raptors and seeing him at different workouts I'm leaning more towards lillard now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    these my picks too. though its a tough pull up between lillard and rivers.
    I love Rivers, been following him since his senior year in high school.

Damian Lillard though looks like a really good player. Either of the two would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    The problem with 'go big or go home' is that Lillard is not a go big type of player. He is a shoot first point guard. That is not going big, that's just going stupid. If we had to have a rookie point guard (which I don't agree with) then I'd rather have Marshall.

I'm not sure about Dion Waiters still because I think his ceiling is a great 6th man. This is not the time for the Raptors to look for a good 6th man, we have to fill our starting roster first! I'd rather draft someone who has a ceiling of a solid starter (who could also be risky and just completely flop), over a guy who might be a great 6th man some day.

Therefore my pick is Austin Rivers, even though I think he could be had later on in the draft. From what I've seen his attitude is cocky, he doesn't seem to play that much defense, but he's relentless at getting to the basket. He is what I've wanted to see DeRozan do for 3 years now. His refusal to do it is why we need Austin Rivers. Also, when your dad is Doc Rivers you must have an incredible, incredible understanding of the game.
    Yeah he's actually got a GREAT basketball IQ. Doesn't make too many terrible decisions on both ends of the floor actually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information