Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what is going on in BC's head right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm hoping that the hole at SF is addressed sooner rather than later.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
      That's how I read it -- the way the rumours have died down the past week or so makes me think things are probably well in motion on whatever move BC plans to make prior to/on draft night. The Gay trade seems less likely at this point than a Houston trade for Lowry or Dragic, IMO. I'd be very happy with either guy plus the #14 or #16 for the #8 pick.

The 14/16 is still going to get Toronto someone useful at a position of need: Waiters could fall that far, Rivers, Harkless, Ross, QMiller... all project to be in the mix between 8 and 20 somewhere. If the Raptors could end up with something like the following lineup on June 29th, I think most people would be happy, or should be:

Lowry/Calderon
      Derozan/Waiters/Forbes
      JJohnson/Kleiza
      Bargnani/AJohnson/EDavis
      Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

Still with a TPE, cap space and tradeable assets...
      I don't see Waiters being available at one of the 14/16 draft picks but substitute him with Rivers/Ross/Lamb at SG or put Miller/Harkless in at SF and I would be very happy if that is what the roster looks like on June 29th.

As jimmie said, there is still the cap space* possible MLE/TPE and tradeable assets to acquire more talent. If:
      1)Bargnani remains healthy and plays as he showed he is capable of (albeit small sample size - about 19/20 games of 31)
      2) Lowry plays as he did last year in Houston before bacterial infection
      3) JV being an impact rookie (i.e in running for ROY) this team could \
      4) Calderon/Bayless/TPE/MLE return solid rotational players (I'm thinking 25-28 year old shooters).....

.... then I think this team could definitely compete for a 7/8 playoff seed in the east. Unfortunately, without serious future transactions or ridiculous growth by DD/JV/rookie, the team is destined to be a Atlanta Hawks-type franchise (i.e. second round ceiling).

*If cap space is used to acquire free agents then MLE/TPE lost. If cap space is used via trade after July 1st, TPE/MLE still in play.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        4) Calderon/Bayless/TPE/MLE return solid rotational players (I'm thinking 25-28 year old shooters).....
        One of Davis/Amir and JJ would definitely be added to the group of tradeable assets, as well as the 2 2nd round picks in this year's draft, and possibly even 2013 draft picks.

If Gay isn't available, Nash isn't in the cards and guys like Beal/MKG/Barnes/Lillard don't drop, then I would be quite happy with a trade of #8 & #56 for Lowry & #14 (likely to draft a backup SG).

That would improve the roster immediately, address the PG issue and still leave BC with LOTS of flexibility to make subsequent moves.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          One of Davis/Amir and JJ would definitely be added to the group of tradeable assets, as well as the 2 2nd round picks in this year's draft, and possibly even 2013 draft picks.

If Gay isn't available, Nash isn't in the cards and guys like Beal/MKG/Barnes/Lillard don't drop, then I would be quite happy with a trade of #8 & #56 for Lowry & #14 (likely to draft a backup SG).

That would improve the roster immediately, address the PG issue and still leave BC with LOTS of flexibility to make subsequent moves.
          I think you need to settle for 16 and throw in ED to make that trade for Lowry. Also, Dragic needs to be resigned first. No way Houston trades Lowry without having a starting PG in place.

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
            I think what would interest some teams on draft night is if a guy like Drummond falls to number 8. I can see a team like Memphis or the 76ers getting a lot more interested in the number 8th pick if he falls. There are so many variables at play. I'm looking forward to draft night.
            Yeah, for me this is the only way that trading the pick makes a lot of sense. If one of the wing players drops (Beal, MKG, Barnes), Toronto should just take that player. If nobody drops, Toronto's not likely to get any good offers for the 8, because similar players are going to be available at 12 or 15. But if it's Drummond or Robinson that falls, Toronto should be working the phones to try to put together the best deal they can get.

Comment

With B.C's expectations of Lillard to be gone. Than I'm going with Austin Rivers or Perry Jones III depending on the workout. These two I could easily see being good fits for this team. My only question is, Austin Rivers' level of selfishness and his improvement to work without the ball, and Perry Jones III and his motor.

Overall, Perry Jones III would be the biggest risk, but highest reward. And Austin Rivers would be a safer pick.

IF, we were to package the deal for a later draft pick and an existing player, I'm all for drafting Quincy Miller or Marquis Teague. Big names in the draft that may be a little underrated. Depending on how low we trade for, from the 10-15 range, Austin Rivers. 15-30 range, I'd take Quincy or Marquis.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                Yeah, for me this is the only way that trading the pick makes a lot of sense. If one of the wing players drops (Beal, MKG, Barnes), Toronto should just take that player. If nobody drops, Toronto's not likely to get any good offers for the 8, because similar players are going to be available at 12 or 15. But if it's Drummond or Robinson that falls, Toronto should be working the phones to try to put together the best deal they can get.
                I missed Michel G's comment but a big plus 1 on his and octothorp's comments.

Assuming Davis, Robinson, Beal, MKG, Barnes are all gone in the top 5 and if Portland takes Lillard at 6 with GSW passing on Drummond that is likely the only way I see a trade for the pick coming with a team having a lower lottery pick. I do not think Drummond gets past Detroit at 9 - that is his floor. A Monroe/Drummond front court would be scary.

Comment

Working...
                X