Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Ramon Sessions please

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ramon Sessions please

    Ramon Sessions opts out

    Even if you don't amnesty Calderon with all that cap space could get you two people from this list - and still wait on Bayless for another year to see if he stays healthy.

    Sessions is a guy who I would be comfortable throwing money at. He can solve your point gaurd issues and give you that shooter to keep defense honest. Still young and has upside.

    A great pro who has shown improvement each year.

    Keep #8 and move forward with

    Sessions + John Lucas
    or
    Sessions + Jonny Flynn

    session + ....??

    Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
    Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
    Aaron Brooks, Phoenix Suns – $2.0 million – Restricted ($3.0 million Qualifying Offer)
    Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
    Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
    Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
    Jason Terry, Dallas Mavericks – $10.7 million – Unrestricted
    Leandro Barbosa, Indiana Pacers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
    Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets – $2.1 million – Unrestricted
    Derek Fisher, Oklahoma City Thunder – $3.4 million – Unrestricted
    Randy Foye, L.A. Clippers – $4.3 million – Unrestricted
    Jonny Flynn, Portland Trail Blazers – $3.4 million – Unrestricted
    Keyon Dooling, Boston Celtics – $2.2 million – Unrestricted
    Ishmael Smith, Orlando Magic – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
    Ramon Sessions, L.A. Lakers – $4.3 million – Player Option ($4.6 million)
    Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
    Sundiata Gaines, Brooklyn Nets – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
    A.J. Price, Indiana Pacers – $0.9 million – Unrestricted*
    Baron Davis, New York Knicks – $1.3 million – Unrestricted
    Royal Ivey, Oklahoma City Thunder – $1.2 million – Unrestricted
    John Lucas, Chicago Bulls – $0.9 million – Unrestricted
    Darius Morris, L.A. Lakers – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
    Terrell Harris, Miami HEAT – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
    Carldell Johnson, New Orleans Hornets – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
    DeAndre Liggins, Orlando Magic – $0.5 million – Unrestricted*
    Ronnie Price, Phoenix Suns – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
    T.J. Ford, Golden State Warriors – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
    Anthony Carter, Toronto Raptors – $1.3 million – Unrestricted
    Roger Mason, Washington Wizards – $1.1 million – Unrestricted
    Jamaal Tinsley, Utah Jazz – $1.2 million – Team Option ($1.3 million)
    Donald Sloan, Cleveland Cavaliers – $0.2 million – Unrestricted*
    Manny Harris, Cleveland Cavaliers – $0.4 million – Unrestricted*
    Courtney Fortson, Houston Rockets – $0.2 million – Unrestricted*
    Mike James, Chicago Bulls – $0.6 million – Unrestricted
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    sessions blows
    @jerboat

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    sessions blows
    so short, yet so powerful. hahaha

    i was actually a fan of Sessions till i saw him play with the lakers.
    He doesnt seem to have a jumpshot, which i think for a PG is quite vital, since most of your shots will probably come at the end of the shot clock, or kickouts. He's a good slasher, but at 26, i dont think he can still improve that jumpshot.

    Pass.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd rather keep Calderon and re-sign him for another season or two, than sign Sessions to be a starter. He'll be too in demand to sign for backup money/role.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There has to be a reason why he has been in the league for 5 seasons and has played for 4 teams....

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    There has to be a reason why he has been in the league for 5 seasons and has played for 4 teams....
    He was behind Kyrie irving in CLE Jennings in Milwaukee

    Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    the shot clock, or kickouts. He's a good slasher, but at 26, i dont think he can still improve that jumpshot.

    Pass.
    HUH?
    in the last two years he is .450 from 3 and almost an 80% ft shooter.
    The lakers dumped fisher and traded for him. Granted he did not gel with kobe but I think LALA land and all the glitz of a playoff run was a tough adjustment for any 3rd year player.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    He was behind Kyrie irving in CLE Jennings in Milwaukee



    HUH?
    in the last two years he is .450 from 3 and almost an 80% ft shooter.
    The lakers dumped fisher and traded for him. Granted he did not gel with kobe but I think LALA land and all the glitz of a playoff run was a tough adjustment for any 3rd year player.
    Except he is a 5th year player...as to his shooting percentages, he does shoot from 3 at a pretty good clip, he just shoots from everywhere else on the floor like crap. He has had a lower overall FG% than 3 point% the last two years, not good when you a threat from deep, it should open things up for you.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    He was behind Kyrie irving in CLE Jennings in Milwaukee
    What...

    Behind Kyrie Irving, shouldn't it be the other way around if he was good?

    And Jennings...?

    As for the Lakers, anything was better than Fisher at the starting point.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I watched Cleveland more than the Raptors and I miss Ramon Sessions. He's one of the best backup point guards in the league and can handle starter minutes for extended periods.

    Great slasher and, unlike Bayless, he has good court vision while slashing. But he's not a jump shooter and his 3-point percentage last year was a fluke, not his norm. I expect him to shoot 30-35% on threes next year.

    The Cavaliers experimented a bit with Sessions and Irving on the floor at the same time (Sessions brought the ball up) and although it worked somewhat on the offensive end, it was a disaster on the defensive end as neither player could cover a shooting guard (Irving was horrible on defense last year regardless of who he waved by).

    Cleveland traded him to the Lakers because it was clear he would not pick up his option and they did not have the minutes to justify awarding him a $6-7 million a year contract; he did not have an attitude problem.

    I don't see why the Raptors would be interested in Sessions at 6M+ a year because Calderon is a better point guard and a much better jump shooter, something the Raptors sorely need.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I watched Cleveland more than the Raptors and I miss Ramon Sessions. He's one of the best backup point guards in the league and can handle starter minutes for extended periods.

    Great slasher and, unlike Bayless, he has good court vision while slashing. But he's not a jump shooter and his 3-point percentage last year was a fluke, not his norm. I expect him to shoot 30-35% on threes next year.
    Great scouting report I agree word for word. Although i would not sell his jumper short. He may not be up around %50 from three this year again but .300 is likely a tad harsh.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie phdmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He was behind Jennings, Irving and Luke Ridnour in Minnesota. Yes, he was made expendable by Luke Ridnour.
    Last edited by phdmac; Thu Jun 21st, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Ball Don't Lie

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote phdmac wrote: View Post
    and behind Luke Ridnour is Minnesota. Yes, he was made expendable by Luke Ridnour
    I always thought Ridnour was an underrated PG, but I still agree with your point
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I actually like Ramon Sessions, but I wouldn't make him a priority. He has improved his 3point shooting over the last few years, his PER would rank him in the Raps' top 3, he is pretty efficient. His defense isn't much of an upgrade though.

    I like Bayless better.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He opted out of a contract that would have paid him $4.55 million, so he's looking for a 5-6 mil (MLE) per season deal for the next 4-5 seasons. No thanks. His performance in the playoffs was brutal. He was often lifted for Steve Blake. I'd rather keep Calderon and take a flyer on a guy like Scott Machado in the second round.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    He opted out of a contract that would have paid him $4.55 million, so he's looking for a 5-6 mil (MLE) per season deal for the next 4-5 seasons. No thanks. His performance in the playoffs was brutal. He was often lifted for Steve Blake. I'd rather keep Calderon and take a flyer on a guy like Scott Machado in the second round.
    wow I am reading all this and I can't believe people would not see value in session for 5-6mill. He had rough go with Lakers but he could be had for 60% the price of calderon.

    I would rather do that with cap space

    Sessions + +lucas + Bayless + #8

    or Sessions +lucas + Bayless + Gay (amnesty Calderon)

    better than Calderon + Deng
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  16. #16
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    wow I am reading all this and I can't believe people would not see value in session for 5-6mill. He had rough go with Lakers but he could be had for 60% the price of calderon.

    I would rather do that with cap space

    Sessions + +lucas + Bayless + #8

    or Sessions +lucas + Bayless + Gay (amnesty Calderon)

    better than Calderon + Deng
    What value? And amnesty-ing Calderon in favour of Sessions is a horrible idea. In no way is Sessions better than Calderon.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter charlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The Lido Deck
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    What value? And amnesty-ing Calderon in favour of Sessions is a horrible idea. In no way is Sessions better than Calderon.
    Wow really? are we discounting experience and learning curve? lets compare and not even mention things like foot speed and durability.

    BOTH players @ age 25:
    SESSIONS
    2011-12 MPG:26.7 / FGP:.428 / 3PT-.443 / FTP-:.782 / Assists:5.5 / Steals/G:0.7 / points-11.3

    CALDERON
    2006-07 MPG:21.0 / FGP-.521 / 3PT-333 / FTP-.818 / Assists-5.0 / steals-0.8 / points-8.7

    Sessions if 5 years younger. He is always getting better. He can grow with this team he is unselfish and a great story of hard work.
    Last edited by charlz; Tue Jun 19th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote charlz wrote: View Post
    wow I am reading all this and I can't believe people would not see value in session for 5-6mill. He had rough go with Lakers but he could be had for 60% the price of calderon.

    I would rather do that with cap space

    Sessions + +lucas + Bayless + #8

    or Sessions +lucas + Bayless + Gay (amnesty Calderon)

    better than Calderon + Deng
    I'm not a huge fan of Calderon but I don't think Sessions is 60% the player Calderon is.

    He played good in the 23 regular season games with LA, however, once teams scout and adjust, I think his decline in the playoffs was noteworthy. I do not think he is as bad as he showed in the 12 playoff games but somewhere between LA regular season and playoffs is his true ability - likely what he showed in the regular season in Cleveland.

    Giving Sessions $5-6M per year has Marcus Banks written all over it in my opinion - and it was Colangelo who gave Banks that contract *it was not BC who gave Banks the contract - thank you planetmars*. This is the type of free agent signing I hope BC stays away from - average to slightly below average players on above average contracts.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jun 19th, 2012 at 07:45 PM.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Calderon but I don't think Sessions is 60% the player Calderon is.

    He played good in the 23 regular season games with LA, however, once teams scout and adjust, I think his decline in the playoffs was noteworthy. I do not think he is as bad as he showed in the 12 playoff games but somewhere between LA regular season and playoffs is his true ability - likely what he showed in the regular season in Cleveland.

    Giving Sessions $5-6M per year has Marcus Banks written all over it in my opinion - and it was Colangelo who gave Banks that contract. This is the type of free agent signing I hope BC stays away from - average to slightly below average players on above average contracts.
    I researched Banks' contract.. it wasn't Bryan that gave it to him. Banks got that extension on July 20, 2006. Colangelo was with Toronto making deals in March of 2006.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,073
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Goran Dragic is the man if we want a ufa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •