Trade Idea - My thoughts on improving the Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Idea - My thoughts on improving the Raptors

Ok, it's been a while since I've posted an 'how to make us better' thread. So feel free to shred this one to teeny tiny pieces.

Toronto Trades - Jose Calderon
    Charlotte Trades - Corey Maggette

Why? Salaries and expiring contracts are just about even. Bobcats get either a good starting point guard and move Walker to the 2. The raps get a good SF who can still score. Both are injury prone, so I feel like that's a wash. If Maggette has a good year with us, maybe we sign him to a vet min contract, if not we let him go and chase a good SF in the 2013 offseason. I think it's a good fair trade. Also, in the very slim chance that we can grab Barnes in the draft, then we've got the SF position locked up and it would give Barnes a lot of minutes to develop into the player many are thinking he can become.

Put that together with signing either Lowry/Dragic/ or dream Nash and now you've got a good team that may have a starting line up like this:

Lowry/Dragic/Nash (pick one!)
    Derozen
    Maggette (or Barnes depending)
    Bargs
    Big Val (if he's ready to contribute)

To me that looks like an awefully nice team, with a guy like Barnes ready to show us what's up in 2013!

Thoughts?
    i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

No way Charlotte looks to put Kemba Walker at the 2 spot, especially beside an aging mediocre defender a the PG spot in Jose. Maggette does not fit the culture of what is trying to be done in Toronto, this deal just sucks all the way around.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It's cool if you don't like the deal, but I think you're off in your analysis.

I think from a salary stand point it makes sense, also Charlotte was looking for a pass first point last year, what's changed this year? Start Walker at PG and have Jose off the bench, you can't say that isn't a good situation to be in. Charlotte then drafts Robinson, and you've got a solid youth movement with a solid vet on the bench. They're rebuilding and at this point I don't see them looking to bring in any big long term contracts. They're not in a position where one good player is going to make them a playoff team.
      I don't see how Maggette doesn't fit into 'our' culture. We desperately need a solid SF, by trading it keeps cap room to bring in a proper PG, and then shed salary for 2013. Also like I said you could potentially have Maggette off the bench if (and it's a BIG if) we managed to draft someone like Harrison Barnes.

Fair enough if you don't like the deal, and it is just my opinion, but I think it sucks either.

Comment

Maggette? Maggette?

Sorry to bring you down, but this deal is awful. There is no solid way of being able to acquire one of those three point guards. Maggette is a downgrade from James Johnson for sure.

Leave the roster the way it is, and draft at our #8, and it looks MUCH better than that...
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Christ I just wrote a long post back and it got deleted, here's the short form:

- Why can't we get one of the PG's? Nash is next to impossible (fan dream) so you're right there. Dragic is an RFA, and Lowry wants out of Houston, I'd say we have just as much chance as anyone else.

- Johnson is not an upgrade from Maggette, you may not like Maggette, but look at the stats or even the PER. I do agree that Maggette is on the decline, but as a bench player if we drafted a SF his offense would be welcomed.

- I just don't trust the draft, and I'm personally tired of it. I want proven talent, I can't hold out hope that we're going to draft the next elite player in the #8 slot, just not convinced.

- I'm not going to argue this thread anymore as most of you hate the idea, fair enough, first trade thread in a while.

- Love and appreciate the feedback, Go Raps!

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
            Christ I just wrote a long post back and it got deleted, here's the short form:

- Why can't we get one of the PG's? Nash is next to impossible (fan dream) so you're right there. Dragic is an RFA, and Lowry wants out of Houston, I'd say we have just as much chance as anyone else.

- Johnson is not an upgrade from Maggette, you may not like Maggette, but look at the stats or even the PER. I do agree that Maggette is on the decline, but as a bench player if we drafted a SF his offense would be welcomed.

- I just don't trust the draft, and I'm personally tired of it. I want proven talent, I can't hold out hope that we're going to draft the next elite player in the #8 slot, just not convinced.

- I'm not going to argue this thread anymore as most of you hate the idea, fair enough, first trade thread in a while.

- Love and appreciate the feedback, Go Raps!
            Well what other way does proven talent come from? The Draft. All things have an origin...

Johnson IS a better player. Defensively, and improving offensively. JJ is a younger player on the development time of his career. While Maggette is constantly getting shipped in and out by teams...
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Maggette sucks, i don't mind getting Byombo though, perhaps Calderon + 8th pick for Byombo + 2nd pick, only in dreams.

Comment

Working...
              X