Inside the War Room - Draft Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside the War Room - Draft Night

I read, in a recent interview, that Colangelo doesn't operate on a best player available basis. It's actually a combination of both BPA and positional need.

For example

Tier 1 - Anthony Davis
    Tier 2 - Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, MKG, Thomas Robinson
    Tier 3 - Jeremy Lamb, Dion Waiters, Damian Lillard,
    Tier 4 - Austin Rivers

All these names are just for the purpose of the example.

So with the 8th pick Colangelo obviously would not be able to take anyone in Tier 1.
    Now say by the time our pick roles around Andre Drummond is still available and so is everyone in Tier 3. Drafting based on positional need would dictate going with Lamb or Waiters but because someone (anyone really) fell into Tier 3 they get drafted regardless of position. This is in fact what happened with Ed Davis. We were not looking for a PF in that draft as Bargs was great. The same thing happened with Valanciunas, we were very much looking for a PG last year in order to give them two years to develop under Calderon. But Valanciunas who they had on the board in a higher tier fell, and we ended up with a potential stud at center. Now in the case that all the players from Tier 2 are gone by pick 8 it then becomes a positional decision. If,on the draft board, their isn't a whole lot of daylight between players and Colangelo decides PG is more important than 2 or 3, Lillard, even though he may not the best Tier 3 candidate gets selected.

There are generally two camps when it comes to this.

BPA no matter what and sort it out after Or

Draft best positional fit.

The Wolves were openly mocked for selecting 3 PGs in one draft I believe.

It seems very Colangeloesque that he would merge the two thoughts and attempt to get the best of both worlds

Thoughts?

sidenote: I realize there are a lot of draft threads so put this wherever you think it will fit best
    Last edited by thead; Thu Jun 21, 2012, 06:56 PM.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

thead wrote: View Post
    I read, in a recent interview, that Colangelo doesn't operate on a best player available basis. It's actually a combination of both BPA and positional need.

For example

Tier 1 - Anthony Davis
    Tier 2 - Harrison Barnes, Bradley Beal, Andre Drummond, MKG, Thomas Robinson
    Tier 3 - Jeremy Lamb, Dion Waiters, Damian Lillard,
    Tier 4 - Austin Rivers

All these names are just for the purpose of the example.

So with the 8th pick Colangelo obviously would not be able to take anyone in Tier 1.
    Now say by the time our pick roles around Andre Drummond is still available and so is everyone in Tier 3. Drafting based on positional need would dictate going with Lamb or Waiters but because someone (anyone really) fell into Tier 3 they get drafted regardless of position. This is in fact what happened with Ed Davis. We were not looking for a PF in that draft as Bargs was great. The same thing happened with Valanciunas, we were very much looking for a PG last year in order to give them two years to develop under Calderon. But Valanciunas who they had on the board in a higher tier fell, and we ended up with a potential stud at center. Now in the case that all the players from Tier 2 are gone by pick 8 it then becomes a positional decision. If,on the draft board, their isn't a whole lot of daylight between players and Colangelo decides PG is more important than 2 or 3, Lillard, even though he may not the best Tier 3 candidate gets selected.

There are generally two camps when it comes to this.

BPA no matter what and sort it out after Or

Draft best positional fit.

The Wolves were openly mocked for selecting 3 PGs in one draft I believe.

It seems very Colangeloesque that he would merge the two thoughts and attempt to get the best of both worlds

Thoughts?

sidenote: I realize there are a lot of draft threads so put this wherever you think it will fit best

i would think that a combo of bpa/need would be the best way to play the draft. obviously when one player is head and shoulders above what's left you take him. but if a group of players with similar potential and talents are there, who is to say who is bpa?

seems like common sense. a lot of people at 8 might think pj3 is bpa where i don't think he is bpa of the joneses. but i would lump them both into a second level of lottery talent. i don't count davis as a tier.

Comment

That tier system makes sense as something BC is doing. The Ed Davis and JV picks sort came out of no where. Players that were to the best of my knowledge not on our radar. Though I did hear JV's name pop up the last few days leading up to the draft. If I had to guess I would think everything we've hear up to now are smoke screens and what we'll be hearing next week leading up to the draft will be more accurate. Let's see who BC brings in for second workouts.

Comment

I think it all depends on where your team is currently at in the development stages.

Early on in a rebuild you take BPA no matter what. build up assets and sort out redundancys later, which BC has done, but once you start finding some talent and getting some rotation players i think you can be a little greedy or needy. Fill positional needs and roles or even take a swing for the fences if you see fit. I personally have absolutely no expectations for our #8 pick and know that the powers that be will perform their due dilligence and make an informed decision, the rest is up to the basketball gods.

Comment

This is pretty much the strategy I use for fantasy leagues. You can't allow a player to drop, even if you don't necessarily need that player.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

Working...
          X