Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which one of the Jones would you rather like on the Raptors roster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perry.

There's something about this kid that tells me he's going to be a great pro. For whatever reason, I'm not concerned about his personality. Being a little bitch is not something Casey will allow.

He won't necessarily be lighting it up next season, but if brought along cautiously, he could pan out very nicely by year 3.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Perry.

There's something about this kid that tells me he's going to be a great pro. For whatever reason, I'm not concerned about his personality. Being a little bitch is not something Casey will allow.

He won't necessarily be lighting it up next season, but if brought along cautiously, he could pan out very nicely by year 3.
      +1. That's exactly what I think. To me, this young man got to much potential to be passed on.

Comment

I go back and forth on Perry. Hate the risk, but then I think about what about the what-if, of JV playing like a young Sabonis, Bargnani playing like the first 13 games of last season, and PJ3 reaching that potential as a long, athletic SF who can pass, create his own shot, defend well, and rebound. Matchup nightmares on offense and so much length on defense and boards. But man, so risky. He needs time to evolve and learn to play the perimeter game, and I question whether he's got the mental fortitude to stick with a long, rough learning curve without getting frustrated to the point that he loses all passion for the game. I think both guys have a pretty low floor -- they both have potential attitude problems, they both will need to do a lot of work to play at the 3, but Perry has a much higher ceiling. If it's a choice between those two (and lets be honest, it's never just a choice between two guys), I'd go with Perry every time.

Comment

Can we just trade down and take Quincy Miller? I'd much rather take a risk on someone whose only questions are physical than someone (PJ3) whose questions are all character/toughness related.
          When I see PJ3, I don't know, I just don't buy the hype. Every talks how he's too talented not to be special. Well he's been in college for 2 years and he has not significantly improved at all. If he was special he should've totally dominated in his 2nd year. I know that sounds unfair, but really, is it? He might be the most gifted forward prospect I've ever seen in my life. He's like a slightly stronger, less angular, more fluid version of a young Garnett in body-type. He doesn't even average a steal OR a block, though. I question his passion for the game, and for winning.
          Look, I understand the logic, he has such a high ceiling, which I agree with. A draft pick also has to be made on the expectation that the player will get to their ceiling (or at least close). A year ago I may have been ok with this pick, but now? I really believe someone with his tools probably should've been in the running for college player of the year. Honestly, given his high stock last year, I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought he might be the top pick or should've been top 3 this year. He didn't really improve in any aspect of the game, though, and still looks mentally disengaged. Great players keep improving, and he doesn't seem to be. Take a pass on this one and wouldn't be upset if I'm wrong.

Oh, and just to briefly explain what I meant about Quincy Miller. He also seems to have a pretty high ceiling and might easily have been a top-10 pick this year if he hadn't been injured. I prefer that type of risk (again, if we trade down) because you'd seem to know what you're getting skills wise and in the mental aspect of the game. Also, he's a 19 year old who came back from a knee injury and still had a strong enough year to be a likely 1st round pick. I think that's probably more toughness than PJ3 will ever show. Quincy's "weakness" is all physical, and I think much easier to work on than Perry's. A coaching staff can just get on him to keep him in the gym. But what do you do about a motorless guy like Perry?

Note: Terrence Jones is the safe pick. I think for all 3 players, 8th pick is too high. But if we had the 15th or 16th pick and all 3 were in play, it'd be really crazy to see how the team goes. PJ3 and the high risk related to mind? Miller and the body-risk? or just go safe with a likely do-it all tweener who could probably replace Linas or JJ right away with Terrence?
          I'd go with Miller all the way I think. I wonder if anyone agrees with me.

Comment

Either Quincy Miller or Royce White at that point
            Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Trade Calderon + 8th to the Sixers for Andre Igoudala + 15th (Perry Jones if he's still around, if not, Moe Harkless or Quincy Miller)

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                Trade Calderon + 8th to the Sixers for Andre Igoudala + 15th (Perry Jones if he's still around, if not, Moe Harkless or Quincy Miller)
                I'd do that.

Comment

Why would Philly want Calderon when they have Jrue?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    Why wouldn't you take Perry at 8? I think he could be our SF of the future, really. He's a legit 6'10 forward and he's athletic as f*ck. Look at his nba.com draft profile, I really like what I see. He was used as a C at Baylor sometimes but that is because that's what they needed of him. http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospe...rry-jones-iii/
                    If you don't take him, who do you take? A PG? Lamb?
                    I think this guy as a much higher ceiling than anybody you could pick at 8, except if one of the top prospect falls to us.
                    Perry Jones said in his interview with Raptors after the workout that his true position is at the 4, but is willing to play SPOT minutes at the 3. So, technically, he doesn't fit within' our plans even though I am a big proponent of 'Go Big or Go Home.'
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Perry Jones scares me, he's all potential and no substance. I see him as a guy that's out of the league in 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he just played out of position at Baylor but he left a lot to be desired.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        Perry Jones scares me, he's all potential and no substance. I see him as a guy that's out of the league in 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he just played out of position at Baylor but he left a lot to be desired.
                        He admitted to the fact that he's trying to compete harder than everyone on the floor, it's just his lack to keep up his effort. I think he wants to be the best, and he's shown to be very impressive in workouts..

The guy can play, he played in a system that took away what he does best. Play from perimeter working his way down. The guy is a transition monster. There are a lot of players who look like they will have better NBA careers than College. He's one of them.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                          He admitted to the fact that he's trying to compete harder than everyone on the floor, it's just his lack to keep up his effort. I think he wants to be the best, and he's shown to be very impressive in workouts..
                          Admitting to the fact that you want to try and compete harder is a little tough to buy when you failed to compete hard for 2 straight years. The 2 years that determine your entire future and how many millions of dollars you will receive.

Comment

The "system" argument is nonsense. If you're as good as some people think PJIII could be, you can perform in any system. Kobe seemed to adjust OK when LA went from the triangle to a more traditional offense. MJ played in different systems. Hell, even Lebron had to change when he came from CLE to Miami.

It's all basketball. The bottom line is PJIII is an amazing athlete with size that makes GMs drool. That's it -- people look at him and think he should be the next coming of KD. But he's never shown that on the court (yet; he may well turn it around, but I'm not banking on it). I don't care if it's "heart" or "motor" or "basketball IQ" or whatever other intangible, unmeasurable quality you want to label it, he just hasn't performed up to what people call his "potential".

Someone else can take a chance on him. I hope TO doesn't.
                            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

I posted this in the draft thread (regarding Perry Jones), but copied it here for it's relevance:

Peak Performance Project (P3) founder and director Dr. Marcus Elliott learned this after giving Jones a vertical jump test. Jones’ first couple of jumps did not drop jaws, then the 6-11 forward seemingly effortlessly elevated 41.5 inches into the air ...
                              “He’s got a bigger work capacity than most of the athletes that we’ve had in, including NBA guys. He can go at high intensities for a long period of time.”
                              Jones is a rare athlete, with one of the most unique sets of physical metrics Elliott has ever tested. “He’s without question one of the ten most athletic athletes I’ve ever tested, maybe top five,” Elliott said. “In any sport.” As well as his ridiculous vertical leap and his deceptive strength, Jones’ agility at his size makes him special. His 5-10-5 shuttle was faster than any big man ever tested at P3 and faster than all but three wings. While some question his natural position at the NBA level — Raptors executive vice-president Ed Stefanski said “that’s something we’ll discuss thoroughly” — Elliott believes that Jones can play small forward without question.

“If he was 6-6, people wouldn’t say he was slow. I guarantee if he was 6-6 and had the same movement that he has right now at 6-11 he’d be a natural three and they’d say that makes sense,” Elliott said. “Because he’s 6-11 people think that, I don’t know, that it’s some kind of stretch. But I can tell you it’s just because you’re not used to seeing guys that are 6-11 that can move like this this kid can move. They just don’t exist.”

“For a long guy, he is able to transition from eccentric to concentric movements, from down movements to up movements and all kinds of athletic movements faster than about any tall athlete we’ve seen,” Elliott continued. “Most big athletes have a little bit of a lag between, say, dropping into a depth jump and then coming out of it or loading onto a single leg and then driving out of it. He has no transition, he moves more like someone who’s 6 feet to 6-4 as opposed to 6-11.”
                              No matter where Jones ends up, there will be more expectations. There will be more doubts, despite his skill level and his off-the-charts athleticism. It’s fair to say that he wasn’t assertive enough in college, but he’s hardly the first 6-11 player to not fully understand how to use his body at the age of 20. Call him a risky pick if you want, but perhaps it’s not such a leap of faith. You could do worse than betting on a guy with preposterous potential and a point to prove.
                              http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012...i-at-his-peak/

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                                Admitting to the fact that you want to try and compete harder is a little tough to buy when you failed to compete hard for 2 straight years. The 2 years that determine your entire future and how many millions of dollars you will receive.
                                He's been in a system that won't really ALLOW him to be fully dominant, I see the NBA career being a better collegiate one. Bird is the word, the guy can play well freely.

Comment

Working...
                                X