Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Which one of the Jones would you rather like on the Raptors roster?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Calderon + 8th to the Sixers for Andre Igoudala + 15th (Perry Jones if he's still around, if not, Moe Harkless or Quincy Miller)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Trade Calderon + 8th to the Sixers for Andre Igoudala + 15th (Perry Jones if he's still around, if not, Moe Harkless or Quincy Miller)
    I'd do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would Philly want Calderon when they have Jrue?

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Why wouldn't you take Perry at 8? I think he could be our SF of the future, really. He's a legit 6'10 forward and he's athletic as f*ck. Look at his nba.com draft profile, I really like what I see. He was used as a C at Baylor sometimes but that is because that's what they needed of him. http://www.nba.com/draft/2012/prospe...rry-jones-iii/
    If you don't take him, who do you take? A PG? Lamb?
    I think this guy as a much higher ceiling than anybody you could pick at 8, except if one of the top prospect falls to us.
    Perry Jones said in his interview with Raptors after the workout that his true position is at the 4, but is willing to play SPOT minutes at the 3. So, technically, he doesn't fit within' our plans even though I am a big proponent of 'Go Big or Go Home.'

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Perry Jones scares me, he's all potential and no substance. I see him as a guy that's out of the league in 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he just played out of position at Baylor but he left a lot to be desired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Perry Jones scares me, he's all potential and no substance. I see him as a guy that's out of the league in 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe he just played out of position at Baylor but he left a lot to be desired.
    He admitted to the fact that he's trying to compete harder than everyone on the floor, it's just his lack to keep up his effort. I think he wants to be the best, and he's shown to be very impressive in workouts..

The guy can play, he played in a system that took away what he does best. Play from perimeter working his way down. The guy is a transition monster. There are a lot of players who look like they will have better NBA careers than College. He's one of them.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    He admitted to the fact that he's trying to compete harder than everyone on the floor, it's just his lack to keep up his effort. I think he wants to be the best, and he's shown to be very impressive in workouts..
    Admitting to the fact that you want to try and compete harder is a little tough to buy when you failed to compete hard for 2 straight years. The 2 years that determine your entire future and how many millions of dollars you will receive.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The "system" argument is nonsense. If you're as good as some people think PJIII could be, you can perform in any system. Kobe seemed to adjust OK when LA went from the triangle to a more traditional offense. MJ played in different systems. Hell, even Lebron had to change when he came from CLE to Miami.

It's all basketball. The bottom line is PJIII is an amazing athlete with size that makes GMs drool. That's it -- people look at him and think he should be the next coming of KD. But he's never shown that on the court (yet; he may well turn it around, but I'm not banking on it). I don't care if it's "heart" or "motor" or "basketball IQ" or whatever other intangible, unmeasurable quality you want to label it, he just hasn't performed up to what people call his "potential".

Someone else can take a chance on him. I hope TO doesn't.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in the draft thread (regarding Perry Jones), but copied it here for it's relevance:

Peak Performance Project (P3) founder and director Dr. Marcus Elliott learned this after giving Jones a vertical jump test. Jones’ first couple of jumps did not drop jaws, then the 6-11 forward seemingly effortlessly elevated 41.5 inches into the air ...
    “He’s got a bigger work capacity than most of the athletes that we’ve had in, including NBA guys. He can go at high intensities for a long period of time.”
    Jones is a rare athlete, with one of the most unique sets of physical metrics Elliott has ever tested. “He’s without question one of the ten most athletic athletes I’ve ever tested, maybe top five,” Elliott said. “In any sport.” As well as his ridiculous vertical leap and his deceptive strength, Jones’ agility at his size makes him special. His 5-10-5 shuttle was faster than any big man ever tested at P3 and faster than all but three wings. While some question his natural position at the NBA level — Raptors executive vice-president Ed Stefanski said “that’s something we’ll discuss thoroughly” — Elliott believes that Jones can play small forward without question.

“If he was 6-6, people wouldn’t say he was slow. I guarantee if he was 6-6 and had the same movement that he has right now at 6-11 he’d be a natural three and they’d say that makes sense,” Elliott said. “Because he’s 6-11 people think that, I don’t know, that it’s some kind of stretch. But I can tell you it’s just because you’re not used to seeing guys that are 6-11 that can move like this this kid can move. They just don’t exist.”

“For a long guy, he is able to transition from eccentric to concentric movements, from down movements to up movements and all kinds of athletic movements faster than about any tall athlete we’ve seen,” Elliott continued. “Most big athletes have a little bit of a lag between, say, dropping into a depth jump and then coming out of it or loading onto a single leg and then driving out of it. He has no transition, he moves more like someone who’s 6 feet to 6-4 as opposed to 6-11.”
    No matter where Jones ends up, there will be more expectations. There will be more doubts, despite his skill level and his off-the-charts athleticism. It’s fair to say that he wasn’t assertive enough in college, but he’s hardly the first 6-11 player to not fully understand how to use his body at the age of 20. Call him a risky pick if you want, but perhaps it’s not such a leap of faith. You could do worse than betting on a guy with preposterous potential and a point to prove.
    http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012...i-at-his-peak/
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    Admitting to the fact that you want to try and compete harder is a little tough to buy when you failed to compete hard for 2 straight years. The 2 years that determine your entire future and how many millions of dollars you will receive.
    He's been in a system that won't really ALLOW him to be fully dominant, I see the NBA career being a better collegiate one. Bird is the word, the guy can play well freely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    The "system" argument is nonsense. If you're as good as some people think PJIII could be, you can perform in any system. Kobe seemed to adjust OK when LA went from the triangle to a more traditional offense. MJ played in different systems. Hell, even Lebron had to change when he came from CLE to Miami.
    A more traditional offense means more free movement and more play breaking. Perry Jones isn't a traditional post player, but he was forced to play in that position with his back to the basket. It's hard to perform when you're put on a spot where you really can't produce.

As of now though, you are comparing PJ3 to the skill-sets of LeBron, Kobe, and c'mon man, Michael Jordan? The greatest to ever play the game? This is nonsense. You are implying in the fact that PJ3 has the skill-set/talent of those 3 players. IF he did, we would see a better performing PJ3 wouldn't we?

Also, you were talking about he hasn't performed to his potential? That's the reason he is highly scouted. His potential to become a very good player. The guy HAS the ability to become a very good player, he has the POTENTIAL because he's athletic, because he can shoot from the outside, because he can handle the ball, because he can get to the hoop, and because he's basically another 7 footer. How many 6'10 - 7 footers do that? The only player I can think of Kevin Durant. Potential is there because it hasn't really been seen..

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Pj3 is stupid though. First he says he wasn't comfortable with his role at Baylor and now he says he's a PF like make up your mind. If you can't play in the post in the NCAA how the hell are you going to do it in the nba.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    A more traditional offense means more free movement and more play breaking. Perry Jones isn't a traditional post player, but he was forced to play in that position with his back to the basket. It's hard to perform when you're put on a spot where you really can't produce.

As of now though, you are comparing PJ3 to the skill-sets of LeBron, Kobe, and c'mon man, Michael Jordan? The greatest to ever play the game? This is nonsense. You are implying in the fact that PJ3 has the skill-set/talent of those 3 players. IF he did, we would see a better performing PJ3 wouldn't we?

Also, you were talking about he hasn't performed to his potential? That's the reason he is highly scouted. His potential to become a very good player. The guy HAS the ability to become a very good player, he has the POTENTIAL because he's athletic, because he can shoot from the outside, because he can handle the ball, because he can get to the hoop, and because he's basically another 7 footer. How many 6'10 - 7 footers do that? The only player I can think of Kevin Durant. Potential is there because it hasn't really been seen..
    You missed my point. Potential is fine -- if you actually meet it at some point. Until then, that's all it is. You think he'll meet his "potential", I don't. And I'm not comparing him to those guys -- I'm contrasting him with them. He's nothing like them, which is why I don't think he'll reach that potential. Those guys all can excel in any situation, as can most NBA players that are worth a top-1o draft pick.

There are thousands of athletes in every sport that never met their glorious potential and ended up on the scrap heap of history. Jones III is just as likely to be one of those (Anthony Randolph, Stromile Swift, Joe Smith, Kwame Brown, hell, even Sam Bowie come to mind immediately) as he is to live up to his massive 'potential'.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He seems to go back and forth about his SF vs. PF capabilities. He could just be playing lip service (as per his agent's request) to make himself seem agreeable and versatile.

I like the thought of drafting PJ3, but definitely not as a PF.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information