GM Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Competition

Users post a 2012-13 full rapors rotation and how it would be assembled. (Free Agency, Trades, Re-signings)
    Winner chosen based on how realistic trades and signings are, and how good the team is for the franchise.

This is the Final Outcome:

Pg: S.Nash, D.Lillard
    Sg: D.Derozan, J. Bayless
    Sf: N.Batum, J.Johnson
    Pf: A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C: J.Valancuinas, A.Gray

This really is broken down into 4 moves:

Draft, Free Agency, Sign & Trade, Re-sign

Draft: Damian Lillard at 8th pick. Easy enough, most mocks predict Lillard will drop to 8th, and recent reports read of strong workouts and strong impressions on most teams. Based on principle of best available, Lillard will probably be our safest choice, and would probably move Jared Bayless to the back up SG spot, where he can come on as a 6th man and become a spark to the team (he has a decent 3pt shot). It would create a dynamic where Bayless is playing for a contract, and Lillard is playing to prove his potential, both have pressure to compete.

Free Agency: Sign Steve Nash 5-8mil for 3 years. All indications have pointed to Steve Nash making a 3 team short list, one of which includes Toronto. I see Toronto as the most likely for obvious reasons, most outstanding of which is his new appointed role as GM of the Canadian national team. Steve Nash is a real vet, and will help make everyone's transition to the raptors easier. I am dreaming of Steve Nash PnR with Jonas!

Sign & Trade: Nicholas Batum from the Portland Trailblazers. Before I get into the details, this is the only part of my process to build the team above that may not pan out, everything else is a really safe bet. Knowing Colangelo though, he is not afraid to go after the more creative of trades.

Portland Signs Batum to an 8-10 Million Dollar deal and immediately trades for:
    -Jose Calderon - 9mil
    -Ed Davis - 2mil
    -2nd Round Pick #37

Toronto gets:
    -Nicholas Batum - 8-10mil

There may also be a possible Trade Exception.

Rationale: Portland has lost its biggest salary eaters this season and are officially rebuilding. This means that they would love to have Ed Davis, cheap, young, and full of potential as well as a strong vet like Calderon, who they can easily eat the contract of for the next season, but will also gain a 9 mil expiring contract! His experience is needed on a team short of it, and he will help the rebuilding process by playing smart point and passing the way he does to develop Aldridge, Ed Davis, Luke Babbit, and Elliot Williams (possibly).

Toronto gains an increasingly versatile budding star. At the age of 23, he fits the mold of EXACTLY what the Raptors need. He is long and athletic, at 6'8'' he blocks with the best of them, plays defense in a way that would make Casey proud, has a smooth and polished but not spectacular offensive game. But who needs spectacular? His consistency at such a young age is refreshing and shows maturity. He has the potential to lead the raptors culture change by leading through example.

Re-Sign: Aaron Gray 2.5mil. Proved he is a solid Centre, and would do well with some consistent backup duties.

Overall Salary looks like:

Steve Nash (5-8mil for 3 years)
    Bargnani 10 mil
    Amir 6 mil
    Bayless 4 mil
    Demar 3 mil
    Aaron 2.5 mil
    James 2.8 mil
    Batum 8-10 mil
    Jonas Valancuinas 3.5 mil
    Lillard 2.5 mil
    Second round pick #56 <1 mil

48.3 - 53.3 mil in 11 players

Cap Room: 12 - 7 mil

Enough Cap Room to fill out roster, possibly keep Linas Kleiza, or other potential pick ups. This leaves us with enough financial flexibility to deepen our roster, and afford contract extensions next season!

Overall Case:
    The Raptors Have to avoid being in the middle of the pack for years to come. This is the season with two fresh new rookies, one highly coveted and hyped up center of the future type, and Damian Lillard who is a steady pick at number 8. The signing of Batum is our answer at SF for multiple years to come, due to his proven potential at the young age of 23. Steve Nash will balance out the two rookies with his veteran experience at running the helm of the ship, will be very important for the successful development of our young ones. Bayless will be given another season before he is due for a contract to see what he is made of. If he comes in next season the same way we saw him through specific spurts the last 2 seasons, he has the potential to be a really good 6th man coming off the bench. I kept Amir Johnson instead of Ed Davis simply for Realistic matters, I wouldve rathered the developing Davis but so does Portland, anyways Johnson would be too expensive to sell to a rebuilding team. At the end of what may seem like a lot, we still maintain a lot of financial flexibility, and this team has the potential to become something really special. I see a great mix of shooting, defense, competence at ever position (no more Butlers in our starting lineup!), athleticism, and even character in this young lineup that can do nothing but continue to improve.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      This is the Final Outcome:

Pg: S.Nash, D.Lillard
      Sg: D.Derozan, J. Bayless
      Sf: N.Batum, J.Johnson
      Pf: A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
      C: J.Valancuinas, A.Gray

This really is broken down into 4 moves:

Draft, Free Agency, Sign & Trade, Re-sign

Draft: Damian Lillard at 8th pick. Easy enough, most mocks predict Lillard will drop to 8th, and recent reports read of strong workouts and strong impressions on most teams. Based on principle of best available, Lillard will probably be our safest choice, and would probably move Jared Bayless to the back up SG spot, where he can come on as a 6th man and become a spark to the team (he has a decent 3pt shot). It would create a dynamic where Bayless is playing for a contract, and Lillard is playing to prove his potential, both have pressure to compete.

Free Agency: Sign Steve Nash 5-8mil for 3 years. All indications have pointed to Steve Nash making a 3 team short list, one of which includes Toronto. I see Toronto as the most likely for obvious reasons, most outstanding of which is his new appointed role as GM of the Canadian national team. Steve Nash is a real vet, and will help make everyone's transition to the raptors easier. I am dreaming of Steve Nash PnR with Jonas!

Sign & Trade: Nicholas Batum from the Portland Trailblazers. Before I get into the details, this is the only part of my process to build the team above that may not pan out, everything else is a really safe bet. Knowing Colangelo though, he is not afraid to go after the more creative of trades.

Portland Signs Batum to an 8-10 Million Dollar deal and immediately trades for:
      -Jose Calderon - 9mil
      -Ed Davis - 2mil
      -2nd Round Pick #37

Toronto gets:
      -Nicholas Batum - 8-10mil

There may also be a possible Trade Exception.

Rationale: Portland has lost its biggest salary eaters this season and are officially rebuilding. This means that they would love to have Ed Davis, cheap, young, and full of potential as well as a strong vet like Calderon, who they can easily eat the contract of for the next season, but will also gain a 9 mil expiring contract! His experience is needed on a team short of it, and he will help the rebuilding process by playing smart point and passing the way he does to develop Aldridge, Ed Davis, Luke Babbit, and Elliot Williams (possibly).

Toronto gains an increasingly versatile budding star. At the age of 23, he fits the mold of EXACTLY what the Raptors need. He is long and athletic, at 6'8'' he blocks with the best of them, plays defense in a way that would make Casey proud, has a smooth and polished but not spectacular offensive game. But who needs spectacular? His consistency at such a young age is refreshing and shows maturity. He has the potential to lead the raptors culture change by leading through example.

Re-Sign: Aaron Gray 2.5mil. Proved he is a solid Centre, and would do well with some consistent backup duties.

Overall Salary looks like:

Steve Nash (5-8mil for 3 years)
      Bargnani 10 mil
      Amir 6 mil
      Bayless 4 mil
      Demar 3 mil
      Aaron 2.5 mil
      James 2.8 mil
      Batum 8-10 mil
      Jonas Valancuinas 3.5 mil
      Lillard 2.5 mil
      Second round pick #56 <1 mil

48.3 - 53.3 mil in 11 players

Cap Room: 12 - 7 mil

Enough Cap Room to fill out roster, possibly keep Linas Kleiza, or other potential pick ups. This leaves us with enough financial flexibility to deepen our roster, and afford contract extensions next season!

Overall Case:
      The Raptors Have to avoid being in the middle of the pack for years to come. This is the season with two fresh new rookies, one highly coveted and hyped up center of the future type, and Damian Lillard who is a steady pick at number 8. The signing of Batum is our answer at SF for multiple years to come, due to his proven potential at the young age of 23. Steve Nash will balance out the two rookies with his veteran experience at running the helm of the ship, will be very important for the successful development of our young ones. Bayless will be given another season before he is due for a contract to see what he is made of. If he comes in next season the same way we saw him through specific spurts the last 2 seasons, he has the potential to be a really good 6th man coming off the bench. I kept Amir Johnson instead of Ed Davis simply for Realistic matters, I wouldve rathered the developing Davis but so does Portland, anyways Johnson would be too expensive to sell to a rebuilding team. At the end of what may seem like a lot, we still maintain a lot of financial flexibility, and this team has the potential to become something really special. I see a great mix of shooting, defense, competence at ever position (no more Butlers in our starting lineup!), athleticism, and even character in this young lineup that can do nothing but continue to improve.
      Love it! BC get it done

Comment

I'm trying to stray away from the whole typical signings and trades that these threads talk about. Theres a few that's been mentioned but that's to be expected

Final team:
        PG: Steve Nash/ Gilbert Arenas
        SG: Demar Derozan/ Mickael pietrus/ Gary Forbes
        SF: Rudy Gay/ Royce White/ linas kleiza
        PF: Andrea Bargnani/ JJ Hickson
        C: Jonas valanciunas/ Nazr Mohammed

Free agency: As expected Nash will hopefully be on our roster as his short list suggested. Sign Nash to a 3 year 7.5 million per year deal. Gilbert arenas is a veteran presence and just wants to play anywhere as he showed this season by going to Memphis for the league minimum. We sign Gilbert to a 2 year 1 mil per year deal which I feel he would accept by assuring more than one year and a pay rise(he seems desperate to play). Then there is Mickael pietrus who had previously expressed interest in joining the raps and nearly did join them. I think we could sign him to a 2 year 2.5 million per year deal and it gives us a backup sg with a 3 point shot which the raptors lacked a lot of. With Portland having to throw all there money at batum I don't think that they can afford hickson any longer which with his (for the most part) underperforming year the raps could likely sign him to a 3 year 5 mil per year deal. Then there is Nazr Mohammed. I imagine he will be very cheap and will be able to teach valanciunas well, being a veteran presence who can play defense. Likely a 1 year 1.2 million deal.

Amnesty clause: Amir Johnson. He has a bloated contract and although granted he is a solid player he's not worth the money as he doesn't have a much higher ceiling.

Trades: trade Jose Calderon, Ed Davis, JJ, #8 pick and the 2013 pick top 10 protected for Rudy Gay and the #25 pick. They get an improvement at the pg position a backup PF in Ed Davis a downgrade at the sf spot but a solid defender and JJ, a high pick this year to deal with team needs and a likely mid-late first round pick next year as well. We solve our sf issue without blowing up our roster or core.

Draft: use the 25th pick to take Royce white or the best sf available at that time (ex. Terrence Jones,PJ III, Jeffery Taylor, Quincy Miller, Terrence jones) I only say white because I feel he's a lock to be around at 25 and most likely will be picked in the 25 range whereas the others may not be available.

Our salaries look like
        Steve Nash- 7.5 million(3 years)
        Gilbert arenas- 1 million(2 years)
        Demar Derozan- 2.8 million
        Mickael pietrus- 2.5 million(2 years)
        Rudy Gay- 15 million
        Royce white- 1.4 million
        Andrea bargnani- 9.2 million
        JJ hickson- 5 million(3 years)
        Jonas valanciunas- 3.4 million
        Nazr Mohammed-1.2 million
        Linas kleiza-4.6 million
        2nd rounder- 850k
        Gary Forbes-1.5 million

That's 52.8 million on 13 active players with about 7 million in cap space for either contract extensions or for example if a player on the list requested more
        money to be signed or to add additional players to the roster.

Overview: The raptors get the point guard they've wanted for the last decade in Steve Nash and a solid backup as well. They get a backup 2 guard for Derozan who can shoot the 3 ball well. They add Allstar talent in Rudy gay who's defense will improve under dwayne Casey. They get a solid backup sf or potential starter when gay's contract is up through the draft. They get rid of the cluster at the PF position while improving their backup for less money. And with valanciunas the center of the future coming over they have a dominating European front court with a veteran presence in Mohammed helping him out.

Comment

Final Roster:
          G- Tony Parker, Delonte West
          G- Demar DeRozan, M.Gionobli
          F- G.Wallace, J.Johnson/(37)pick
          F- A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
          C- J.Valanciunas, M.Camby, A.Gray

Now, I know what you're thinking, but let me explain. I'll admit this is the most far-fetched of my scenarios but why not keep it interesting, right?

First we denounce Bayless' rights to free up an extra $7 M in cap hold money for free agency, and then we amnesty L.Klieza. At this point we'd be working with $17 M (roughly) in true cap space after July 1st.

Trades: We all now Tim Duncan is a free agent but he'll definately resign with SA. Well they are at the end of an era while we're at the beginning of one. Perhaps we help each other with the transitions? They need to get younger while maintaining competativeness for Duncan, and we need veteran, championchip caliber talent. I propose we send J.Calderon, E.Davis, the 8th Pick, and the $7M TPE to San Antonio for T.Parker and M.Gionobli and perhaps future picks. They stay competative and maintain competativeness while keeping a lot of flexability. Jose and the pick can be used on their backcourt while Ed Davis will be developing beside Duncan. The cash can be combined with the money they'll already have to make a run at top FAs this summer or the next (when Jose's $10M is off the books). We get the perfect PG for our system and a top 3 6th man in this league. Both are great leaders that can help transition us into winners.
          Draft: We draft a SF like Darius Miller with pick (37), and maybe an perimeter prospect like T.Satoransky at (56).
          Free Agency: Convince G.Wallace to sign here to join Parker and Gionobli to make this a deep playoffs team. Give him a contract for 5yrs (Player Option) at $50 M. The dude is Casey's wet dream at SF, and he's a great defender who is not on the decline yet, and he's got the culture-changing attitude. The majority of minutes at the wing will be split between him DeRozan and Gionobli, with Johnson getting spot minutes. Also, split our mid-level exception between a vet big and a vet guard like Camby and West on 1 or 2 yr deals. This roster can win around 50-55 games easily and get deep into the playoffs.

Thoughts??? Interesting at least, right...

Comment

It's a great thought but I don't think that trade could happen at all. I imagine that trade would only be able to get one of those players if that. Parker was in the top 5 for MVP votes this year he is essentially untouchable. Ginobli is slowly on the decline so they might give up him but I don't think the raptors have what they're after and they might have another championship run in them. If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure Gerald Wallace essentially said he would never play in Toronto. I love the idea and raptors would be a deep eastern conference team but I just see 0% chance of it happening

Comment

I'm also pretty sure that would put us over the cap with contracts that big

Comment

Like EVERYTHING about this scenario...
                Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

Fantasy Final Roster
                  Russel Westbrook/D.Rose/R.Rondo
                  D.Wade/J.Harden/M.Ellis
                  LBJ/K.Durant/C.Anthony
                  Dirk/CB4/K.Love
                  D.Howard/A.Bynum/M.Gasol

We will win 10x championship in the next 10 years.

Realistic Final Roster
                  Nash/Bayless/2nd round pick (Scot Machado)
                  DeRozan/J.Terry/Forbes
                  W.Chandler/JJ Johnson/L.Kleiza
                  A.Bargnani/Faried/Amir
                  Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

FA: We give Nash 3 years 10 million deal. We give J.Terry 2 year 5 million deal. We resign A.Gray to a 2 year 2 million deal contract

Trade: We trade Jose Calderon + Ed Davis + 8th pick + 37th pick to Denver for Wilson Chandler + Kenneth Faried

Draft: Scott Machado as a 3rd string PG
                  Last edited by tenforthewin; Sun Jun 24, 2012, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if u put up these trades just to mess with us

Comment

What is with you guys and Jason Terry?

anyways this is what I'd roll with

Nash/Wroten/Uzoh
                      Derozen/Waiters/Forbes
                      Rush/JJ/Kleiza
                      Bargs/Ed
                      Big Val/Asik/Gray

Sign Nash, Asik and Rush. Draft Waiters and use both second rounders to move to the top of the second for Wroten. No idea if the salaries work at all. I guess Amir got traded or amnestied or something.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Wait till next year to draft your SF of the future.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          Wait till next year to draft your SF of the future.
                          ya there a couple of good guys. But I'd much rather go for Harkless or PJ3 and then draft Kabongo next year to learn behind Nash.

Nash/Wroten/Uzoh
                          Derozen/Forbes
                          Rush/PJ3 or Harkless/Kleiza
                          Bargs/Ed
                          Big Val/Asik/Gray

Draft Kabongo or Ian Miller next year

Comment

Lowry/Calderon/Uzoh
                            DeRozan/J.Taylor/Forbes
                            J.Johnson/Batum
                            Bargnani/A.Johnson/Perry Jones
                            Valanciunas/Asik/Gray

Draft night:
                            Lowry & #16 for Ed Davis & #8

Draft Perry Jones @ #16 (project big/wing)

Purchase OKC's draft spot (#27) for #56 & cash; draft Jeffrey Taylor (Vanderbilt)

Free Agency:
                            - Amnesty Kleiza, then throw as much money toward Batum ($14M remaining)

*not sure if we qualify for Mid-level. If we do, sign Asik.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                              Lowry/Calderon/Uzoh
                              DeRozan/J.Taylor/Forbes
                              J.Johnson/Batum
                              Bargnani/A.Johnson/Perry Jones
                              Valanciunas/Asik/Gray

Draft night:
                              Lowry & #16 for Ed Davis & #8

Draft Perry Jones @ #16 (project big/wing)

Purchase OKC's draft spot (#27) for #56 & cash; draft Jeffrey Taylor (Vanderbilt)

Free Agency:
                              - Amnesty Kleiza, then throw as much money toward Batum ($14M remaining)

*not sure if we qualify for Mid-level. If we do, sign Asik.
                              lol why would James Johnson start over Batum?

Comment

Working...
                              X