Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: GM Competition

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default GM Competition

    Users post a 2012-13 full rapors rotation and how it would be assembled. (Free Agency, Trades, Re-signings)
    Winner chosen based on how realistic trades and signings are, and how good the team is for the franchise.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is the Final Outcome:

    Pg: S.Nash, D.Lillard
    Sg: D.Derozan, J. Bayless
    Sf: N.Batum, J.Johnson
    Pf: A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C: J.Valancuinas, A.Gray

    This really is broken down into 4 moves:

    Draft, Free Agency, Sign & Trade, Re-sign

    Draft: Damian Lillard at 8th pick. Easy enough, most mocks predict Lillard will drop to 8th, and recent reports read of strong workouts and strong impressions on most teams. Based on principle of best available, Lillard will probably be our safest choice, and would probably move Jared Bayless to the back up SG spot, where he can come on as a 6th man and become a spark to the team (he has a decent 3pt shot). It would create a dynamic where Bayless is playing for a contract, and Lillard is playing to prove his potential, both have pressure to compete.

    Free Agency: Sign Steve Nash 5-8mil for 3 years. All indications have pointed to Steve Nash making a 3 team short list, one of which includes Toronto. I see Toronto as the most likely for obvious reasons, most outstanding of which is his new appointed role as GM of the Canadian national team. Steve Nash is a real vet, and will help make everyone's transition to the raptors easier. I am dreaming of Steve Nash PnR with Jonas!

    Sign & Trade: Nicholas Batum from the Portland Trailblazers. Before I get into the details, this is the only part of my process to build the team above that may not pan out, everything else is a really safe bet. Knowing Colangelo though, he is not afraid to go after the more creative of trades.

    Portland Signs Batum to an 8-10 Million Dollar deal and immediately trades for:
    -Jose Calderon - 9mil
    -Ed Davis - 2mil
    -2nd Round Pick #37

    Toronto gets:
    -Nicholas Batum - 8-10mil

    There may also be a possible Trade Exception.

    Rationale: Portland has lost its biggest salary eaters this season and are officially rebuilding. This means that they would love to have Ed Davis, cheap, young, and full of potential as well as a strong vet like Calderon, who they can easily eat the contract of for the next season, but will also gain a 9 mil expiring contract! His experience is needed on a team short of it, and he will help the rebuilding process by playing smart point and passing the way he does to develop Aldridge, Ed Davis, Luke Babbit, and Elliot Williams (possibly).

    Toronto gains an increasingly versatile budding star. At the age of 23, he fits the mold of EXACTLY what the Raptors need. He is long and athletic, at 6'8'' he blocks with the best of them, plays defense in a way that would make Casey proud, has a smooth and polished but not spectacular offensive game. But who needs spectacular? His consistency at such a young age is refreshing and shows maturity. He has the potential to lead the raptors culture change by leading through example.

    Re-Sign: Aaron Gray 2.5mil. Proved he is a solid Centre, and would do well with some consistent backup duties.

    Overall Salary looks like:

    Steve Nash (5-8mil for 3 years)
    Bargnani 10 mil
    Amir 6 mil
    Bayless 4 mil
    Demar 3 mil
    Aaron 2.5 mil
    James 2.8 mil
    Batum 8-10 mil
    Jonas Valancuinas 3.5 mil
    Lillard 2.5 mil
    Second round pick #56 <1 mil

    48.3 - 53.3 mil in 11 players

    Cap Room: 12 - 7 mil

    Enough Cap Room to fill out roster, possibly keep Linas Kleiza, or other potential pick ups. This leaves us with enough financial flexibility to deepen our roster, and afford contract extensions next season!


    Overall Case:
    The Raptors Have to avoid being in the middle of the pack for years to come. This is the season with two fresh new rookies, one highly coveted and hyped up center of the future type, and Damian Lillard who is a steady pick at number 8. The signing of Batum is our answer at SF for multiple years to come, due to his proven potential at the young age of 23. Steve Nash will balance out the two rookies with his veteran experience at running the helm of the ship, will be very important for the successful development of our young ones. Bayless will be given another season before he is due for a contract to see what he is made of. If he comes in next season the same way we saw him through specific spurts the last 2 seasons, he has the potential to be a really good 6th man coming off the bench. I kept Amir Johnson instead of Ed Davis simply for Realistic matters, I wouldve rathered the developing Davis but so does Portland, anyways Johnson would be too expensive to sell to a rebuilding team. At the end of what may seem like a lot, we still maintain a lot of financial flexibility, and this team has the potential to become something really special. I see a great mix of shooting, defense, competence at ever position (no more Butlers in our starting lineup!), athleticism, and even character in this young lineup that can do nothing but continue to improve.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    This is the Final Outcome:

    Pg: S.Nash, D.Lillard
    Sg: D.Derozan, J. Bayless
    Sf: N.Batum, J.Johnson
    Pf: A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C: J.Valancuinas, A.Gray

    This really is broken down into 4 moves:

    Draft, Free Agency, Sign & Trade, Re-sign

    Draft: Damian Lillard at 8th pick. Easy enough, most mocks predict Lillard will drop to 8th, and recent reports read of strong workouts and strong impressions on most teams. Based on principle of best available, Lillard will probably be our safest choice, and would probably move Jared Bayless to the back up SG spot, where he can come on as a 6th man and become a spark to the team (he has a decent 3pt shot). It would create a dynamic where Bayless is playing for a contract, and Lillard is playing to prove his potential, both have pressure to compete.

    Free Agency: Sign Steve Nash 5-8mil for 3 years. All indications have pointed to Steve Nash making a 3 team short list, one of which includes Toronto. I see Toronto as the most likely for obvious reasons, most outstanding of which is his new appointed role as GM of the Canadian national team. Steve Nash is a real vet, and will help make everyone's transition to the raptors easier. I am dreaming of Steve Nash PnR with Jonas!

    Sign & Trade: Nicholas Batum from the Portland Trailblazers. Before I get into the details, this is the only part of my process to build the team above that may not pan out, everything else is a really safe bet. Knowing Colangelo though, he is not afraid to go after the more creative of trades.

    Portland Signs Batum to an 8-10 Million Dollar deal and immediately trades for:
    -Jose Calderon - 9mil
    -Ed Davis - 2mil
    -2nd Round Pick #37

    Toronto gets:
    -Nicholas Batum - 8-10mil

    There may also be a possible Trade Exception.

    Rationale: Portland has lost its biggest salary eaters this season and are officially rebuilding. This means that they would love to have Ed Davis, cheap, young, and full of potential as well as a strong vet like Calderon, who they can easily eat the contract of for the next season, but will also gain a 9 mil expiring contract! His experience is needed on a team short of it, and he will help the rebuilding process by playing smart point and passing the way he does to develop Aldridge, Ed Davis, Luke Babbit, and Elliot Williams (possibly).

    Toronto gains an increasingly versatile budding star. At the age of 23, he fits the mold of EXACTLY what the Raptors need. He is long and athletic, at 6'8'' he blocks with the best of them, plays defense in a way that would make Casey proud, has a smooth and polished but not spectacular offensive game. But who needs spectacular? His consistency at such a young age is refreshing and shows maturity. He has the potential to lead the raptors culture change by leading through example.

    Re-Sign: Aaron Gray 2.5mil. Proved he is a solid Centre, and would do well with some consistent backup duties.

    Overall Salary looks like:

    Steve Nash (5-8mil for 3 years)
    Bargnani 10 mil
    Amir 6 mil
    Bayless 4 mil
    Demar 3 mil
    Aaron 2.5 mil
    James 2.8 mil
    Batum 8-10 mil
    Jonas Valancuinas 3.5 mil
    Lillard 2.5 mil
    Second round pick #56 <1 mil

    48.3 - 53.3 mil in 11 players

    Cap Room: 12 - 7 mil

    Enough Cap Room to fill out roster, possibly keep Linas Kleiza, or other potential pick ups. This leaves us with enough financial flexibility to deepen our roster, and afford contract extensions next season!


    Overall Case:
    The Raptors Have to avoid being in the middle of the pack for years to come. This is the season with two fresh new rookies, one highly coveted and hyped up center of the future type, and Damian Lillard who is a steady pick at number 8. The signing of Batum is our answer at SF for multiple years to come, due to his proven potential at the young age of 23. Steve Nash will balance out the two rookies with his veteran experience at running the helm of the ship, will be very important for the successful development of our young ones. Bayless will be given another season before he is due for a contract to see what he is made of. If he comes in next season the same way we saw him through specific spurts the last 2 seasons, he has the potential to be a really good 6th man coming off the bench. I kept Amir Johnson instead of Ed Davis simply for Realistic matters, I wouldve rathered the developing Davis but so does Portland, anyways Johnson would be too expensive to sell to a rebuilding team. At the end of what may seem like a lot, we still maintain a lot of financial flexibility, and this team has the potential to become something really special. I see a great mix of shooting, defense, competence at ever position (no more Butlers in our starting lineup!), athleticism, and even character in this young lineup that can do nothing but continue to improve.
    Love it! BC get it done

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm trying to stray away from the whole typical signings and trades that these threads talk about. Theres a few that's been mentioned but that's to be expected

    Final team:
    PG: Steve Nash/ Gilbert Arenas
    SG: Demar Derozan/ Mickael pietrus/ Gary Forbes
    SF: Rudy Gay/ Royce White/ linas kleiza
    PF: Andrea Bargnani/ JJ Hickson
    C: Jonas valanciunas/ Nazr Mohammed

    Free agency: As expected Nash will hopefully be on our roster as his short list suggested. Sign Nash to a 3 year 7.5 million per year deal. Gilbert arenas is a veteran presence and just wants to play anywhere as he showed this season by going to Memphis for the league minimum. We sign Gilbert to a 2 year 1 mil per year deal which I feel he would accept by assuring more than one year and a pay rise(he seems desperate to play). Then there is Mickael pietrus who had previously expressed interest in joining the raps and nearly did join them. I think we could sign him to a 2 year 2.5 million per year deal and it gives us a backup sg with a 3 point shot which the raptors lacked a lot of. With Portland having to throw all there money at batum I don't think that they can afford hickson any longer which with his (for the most part) underperforming year the raps could likely sign him to a 3 year 5 mil per year deal. Then there is Nazr Mohammed. I imagine he will be very cheap and will be able to teach valanciunas well, being a veteran presence who can play defense. Likely a 1 year 1.2 million deal.

    Amnesty clause: Amir Johnson. He has a bloated contract and although granted he is a solid player he's not worth the money as he doesn't have a much higher ceiling.

    Trades: trade Jose Calderon, Ed Davis, JJ, #8 pick and the 2013 pick top 10 protected for Rudy Gay and the #25 pick. They get an improvement at the pg position a backup PF in Ed Davis a downgrade at the sf spot but a solid defender and JJ, a high pick this year to deal with team needs and a likely mid-late first round pick next year as well. We solve our sf issue without blowing up our roster or core.

    Draft: use the 25th pick to take Royce white or the best sf available at that time (ex. Terrence Jones,PJ III, Jeffery Taylor, Quincy Miller, Terrence jones) I only say white because I feel he's a lock to be around at 25 and most likely will be picked in the 25 range whereas the others may not be available.

    Our salaries look like
    Steve Nash- 7.5 million(3 years)
    Gilbert arenas- 1 million(2 years)
    Demar Derozan- 2.8 million
    Mickael pietrus- 2.5 million(2 years)
    Rudy Gay- 15 million
    Royce white- 1.4 million
    Andrea bargnani- 9.2 million
    JJ hickson- 5 million(3 years)
    Jonas valanciunas- 3.4 million
    Nazr Mohammed-1.2 million
    Linas kleiza-4.6 million
    2nd rounder- 850k
    Gary Forbes-1.5 million

    That's 52.8 million on 13 active players with about 7 million in cap space for either contract extensions or for example if a player on the list requested more
    money to be signed or to add additional players to the roster.

    Overview: The raptors get the point guard they've wanted for the last decade in Steve Nash and a solid backup as well. They get a backup 2 guard for Derozan who can shoot the 3 ball well. They add Allstar talent in Rudy gay who's defense will improve under dwayne Casey. They get a solid backup sf or potential starter when gay's contract is up through the draft. They get rid of the cluster at the PF position while improving their backup for less money. And with valanciunas the center of the future coming over they have a dominating European front court with a veteran presence in Mohammed helping him out.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Final Roster:
    G- Tony Parker, Delonte West
    G- Demar DeRozan, M.Gionobli
    F- G.Wallace, J.Johnson/(37)pick
    F- A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C- J.Valanciunas, M.Camby, A.Gray

    Now, I know what you're thinking, but let me explain. I'll admit this is the most far-fetched of my scenarios but why not keep it interesting, right?

    First we denounce Bayless' rights to free up an extra $7 M in cap hold money for free agency, and then we amnesty L.Klieza. At this point we'd be working with $17 M (roughly) in true cap space after July 1st.

    Trades: We all now Tim Duncan is a free agent but he'll definately resign with SA. Well they are at the end of an era while we're at the beginning of one. Perhaps we help each other with the transitions? They need to get younger while maintaining competativeness for Duncan, and we need veteran, championchip caliber talent. I propose we send J.Calderon, E.Davis, the 8th Pick, and the $7M TPE to San Antonio for T.Parker and M.Gionobli and perhaps future picks. They stay competative and maintain competativeness while keeping a lot of flexability. Jose and the pick can be used on their backcourt while Ed Davis will be developing beside Duncan. The cash can be combined with the money they'll already have to make a run at top FAs this summer or the next (when Jose's $10M is off the books). We get the perfect PG for our system and a top 3 6th man in this league. Both are great leaders that can help transition us into winners.
    Draft: We draft a SF like Darius Miller with pick (37), and maybe an perimeter prospect like T.Satoransky at (56).
    Free Agency: Convince G.Wallace to sign here to join Parker and Gionobli to make this a deep playoffs team. Give him a contract for 5yrs (Player Option) at $50 M. The dude is Casey's wet dream at SF, and he's a great defender who is not on the decline yet, and he's got the culture-changing attitude. The majority of minutes at the wing will be split between him DeRozan and Gionobli, with Johnson getting spot minutes. Also, split our mid-level exception between a vet big and a vet guard like Camby and West on 1 or 2 yr deals. This roster can win around 50-55 games easily and get deep into the playoffs.

    Thoughts??? Interesting at least, right...

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's a great thought but I don't think that trade could happen at all. I imagine that trade would only be able to get one of those players if that. Parker was in the top 5 for MVP votes this year he is essentially untouchable. Ginobli is slowly on the decline so they might give up him but I don't think the raptors have what they're after and they might have another championship run in them. If I remember correctly I'm pretty sure Gerald Wallace essentially said he would never play in Toronto. I love the idea and raptors would be a deep eastern conference team but I just see 0% chance of it happening

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm also pretty sure that would put us over the cap with contracts that big

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie The Fox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Like EVERYTHING about this scenario...
    Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fantasy Final Roster
    Russel Westbrook/D.Rose/R.Rondo
    D.Wade/J.Harden/M.Ellis
    LBJ/K.Durant/C.Anthony
    Dirk/CB4/K.Love
    D.Howard/A.Bynum/M.Gasol

    We will win 10x championship in the next 10 years.

    Realistic Final Roster
    Nash/Bayless/2nd round pick (Scot Machado)
    DeRozan/J.Terry/Forbes
    W.Chandler/JJ Johnson/L.Kleiza
    A.Bargnani/Faried/Amir
    Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

    FA: We give Nash 3 years 10 million deal. We give J.Terry 2 year 5 million deal. We resign A.Gray to a 2 year 2 million deal contract

    Trade: We trade Jose Calderon + Ed Davis + 8th pick + 37th pick to Denver for Wilson Chandler + Kenneth Faried

    Draft: Scott Machado as a 3rd string PG
    Last edited by tenforthewin; Sun Jun 24th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sometimes I wonder if u put up these trades just to mess with us

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What is with you guys and Jason Terry?

    anyways this is what I'd roll with

    Nash/Wroten/Uzoh
    Derozen/Waiters/Forbes
    Rush/JJ/Kleiza
    Bargs/Ed
    Big Val/Asik/Gray

    Sign Nash, Asik and Rush. Draft Waiters and use both second rounders to move to the top of the second for Wroten. No idea if the salaries work at all. I guess Amir got traded or amnestied or something.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wait till next year to draft your SF of the future.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Wait till next year to draft your SF of the future.
    ya there a couple of good guys. But I'd much rather go for Harkless or PJ3 and then draft Kabongo next year to learn behind Nash.

    Nash/Wroten/Uzoh
    Derozen/Forbes
    Rush/PJ3 or Harkless/Kleiza
    Bargs/Ed
    Big Val/Asik/Gray

    Draft Kabongo or Ian Miller next year

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lowry/Calderon/Uzoh
    DeRozan/J.Taylor/Forbes
    J.Johnson/Batum
    Bargnani/A.Johnson/Perry Jones
    Valanciunas/Asik/Gray

    Draft night:
    Lowry & #16 for Ed Davis & #8

    Draft Perry Jones @ #16 (project big/wing)

    Purchase OKC's draft spot (#27) for #56 & cash; draft Jeffrey Taylor (Vanderbilt)

    Free Agency:
    - Amnesty Kleiza, then throw as much money toward Batum ($14M remaining)

    *not sure if we qualify for Mid-level. If we do, sign Asik.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Lowry/Calderon/Uzoh
    DeRozan/J.Taylor/Forbes
    J.Johnson/Batum
    Bargnani/A.Johnson/Perry Jones
    Valanciunas/Asik/Gray

    Draft night:
    Lowry & #16 for Ed Davis & #8

    Draft Perry Jones @ #16 (project big/wing)

    Purchase OKC's draft spot (#27) for #56 & cash; draft Jeffrey Taylor (Vanderbilt)

    Free Agency:
    - Amnesty Kleiza, then throw as much money toward Batum ($14M remaining)

    *not sure if we qualify for Mid-level. If we do, sign Asik.
    lol why would James Johnson start over Batum?

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    This is the Final Outcome:

    Pg: S.Nash, D.Lillard
    Sg: D.Derozan, J. Bayless
    Sf: N.Batum, J.Johnson
    Pf: A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C: J.Valancuinas, A.Gray

    This really is broken down into 4 moves:

    Draft, Free Agency, Sign & Trade, Re-sign

    Draft: Damian Lillard at 8th pick. Easy enough, most mocks predict Lillard will drop to 8th, and recent reports read of strong workouts and strong impressions on most teams. Based on principle of best available, Lillard will probably be our safest choice, and would probably move Jared Bayless to the back up SG spot, where he can come on as a 6th man and become a spark to the team (he has a decent 3pt shot). It would create a dynamic where Bayless is playing for a contract, and Lillard is playing to prove his potential, both have pressure to compete.

    Free Agency: Sign Steve Nash 5-8mil for 3 years. All indications have pointed to Steve Nash making a 3 team short list, one of which includes Toronto. I see Toronto as the most likely for obvious reasons, most outstanding of which is his new appointed role as GM of the Canadian national team. Steve Nash is a real vet, and will help make everyone's transition to the raptors easier. I am dreaming of Steve Nash PnR with Jonas!

    Sign & Trade: Nicholas Batum from the Portland Trailblazers. Before I get into the details, this is the only part of my process to build the team above that may not pan out, everything else is a really safe bet. Knowing Colangelo though, he is not afraid to go after the more creative of trades.

    Portland Signs Batum to an 8-10 Million Dollar deal and immediately trades for:
    -Jose Calderon - 9mil
    -Ed Davis - 2mil
    -2nd Round Pick #37

    Toronto gets:
    -Nicholas Batum - 8-10mil

    There may also be a possible Trade Exception.

    Rationale: Portland has lost its biggest salary eaters this season and are officially rebuilding. This means that they would love to have Ed Davis, cheap, young, and full of potential as well as a strong vet like Calderon, who they can easily eat the contract of for the next season, but will also gain a 9 mil expiring contract! His experience is needed on a team short of it, and he will help the rebuilding process by playing smart point and passing the way he does to develop Aldridge, Ed Davis, Luke Babbit, and Elliot Williams (possibly).

    Toronto gains an increasingly versatile budding star. At the age of 23, he fits the mold of EXACTLY what the Raptors need. He is long and athletic, at 6'8'' he blocks with the best of them, plays defense in a way that would make Casey proud, has a smooth and polished but not spectacular offensive game. But who needs spectacular? His consistency at such a young age is refreshing and shows maturity. He has the potential to lead the raptors culture change by leading through example.

    Re-Sign: Aaron Gray 2.5mil. Proved he is a solid Centre, and would do well with some consistent backup duties.

    Overall Salary looks like:

    Steve Nash (5-8mil for 3 years)
    Bargnani 10 mil
    Amir 6 mil
    Bayless 4 mil
    Demar 3 mil
    Aaron 2.5 mil
    James 2.8 mil
    Batum 8-10 mil
    Jonas Valancuinas 3.5 mil
    Lillard 2.5 mil
    Second round pick #56 <1 mil

    48.3 - 53.3 mil in 11 players

    Cap Room: 12 - 7 mil

    Enough Cap Room to fill out roster, possibly keep Linas Kleiza, or other potential pick ups. This leaves us with enough financial flexibility to deepen our roster, and afford contract extensions next season!


    Overall Case:
    The Raptors Have to avoid being in the middle of the pack for years to come. This is the season with two fresh new rookies, one highly coveted and hyped up center of the future type, and Damian Lillard who is a steady pick at number 8. The signing of Batum is our answer at SF for multiple years to come, due to his proven potential at the young age of 23. Steve Nash will balance out the two rookies with his veteran experience at running the helm of the ship, will be very important for the successful development of our young ones. Bayless will be given another season before he is due for a contract to see what he is made of. If he comes in next season the same way we saw him through specific spurts the last 2 seasons, he has the potential to be a really good 6th man coming off the bench. I kept Amir Johnson instead of Ed Davis simply for Realistic matters, I wouldve rathered the developing Davis but so does Portland, anyways Johnson would be too expensive to sell to a rebuilding team. At the end of what may seem like a lot, we still maintain a lot of financial flexibility, and this team has the potential to become something really special. I see a great mix of shooting, defense, competence at ever position (no more Butlers in our starting lineup!), athleticism, and even character in this young lineup that can do nothing but continue to improve.
    You lost all your cap space on signing Nash as an UFA. Plus you lost TPE, MLE, Bird Rights on Bayless and Gray.

    Going this route leaves the Raptors with only minimum contracts and the $2.5M top up exception.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    Final Roster:
    G- Tony Parker, Delonte West
    G- Demar DeRozan, M.Gionobli
    F- G.Wallace, J.Johnson/(37)pick
    F- A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C- J.Valanciunas, M.Camby, A.Gray

    Now, I know what you're thinking, but let me explain. I'll admit this is the most far-fetched of my scenarios but why not keep it interesting, right?

    First we denounce Bayless' rights to free up an extra $7 M in cap hold money for free agency, and then we amnesty L.Klieza. At this point we'd be working with $17 M (roughly) in true cap space after July 1st.

    Trades: We all now Tim Duncan is a free agent but he'll definately resign with SA. Well they are at the end of an era while we're at the beginning of one. Perhaps we help each other with the transitions? They need to get younger while maintaining competativeness for Duncan, and we need veteran, championchip caliber talent. I propose we send J.Calderon, E.Davis, the 8th Pick, and the $7M TPE to San Antonio for T.Parker and M.Gionobli and perhaps future picks. They stay competative and maintain competativeness while keeping a lot of flexability. Jose and the pick can be used on their backcourt while Ed Davis will be developing beside Duncan. The cash can be combined with the money they'll already have to make a run at top FAs this summer or the next (when Jose's $10M is off the books). We get the perfect PG for our system and a top 3 6th man in this league. Both are great leaders that can help transition us into winners.
    Draft: We draft a SF like Darius Miller with pick (37), and maybe an perimeter prospect like T.Satoransky at (56).
    Free Agency: Convince G.Wallace to sign here to join Parker and Gionobli to make this a deep playoffs team. Give him a contract for 5yrs (Player Option) at $50 M. The dude is Casey's wet dream at SF, and he's a great defender who is not on the decline yet, and he's got the culture-changing attitude. The majority of minutes at the wing will be split between him DeRozan and Gionobli, with Johnson getting spot minutes. Also, split our mid-level exception between a vet big and a vet guard like Camby and West on 1 or 2 yr deals. This roster can win around 50-55 games easily and get deep into the playoffs.

    Thoughts??? Interesting at least, right...
    You are forgetting JV's salary which takes your salary cap space to $14M.

    Unfortunately you also traded all your cap space in the Parker and Ginobilli trade - forgetting the fact you can't trade a TPE - therefore signing Gerald Wallace is not going to happen - nevermind the signing would be forever known as Hedo Part Deux.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,696
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Was hoping Matt would be a part of this Competition... too bad he's too busy Correctin' shit like a BAWS. Don't bring that sh*t into Matts house! Haha

    Just because he isn't a Moderator anymore, doesn't mean he ain't going to Moderate!


    *ahem* Sorry, I'm done now. Might actually do this when I get some time.
    In Masai we Trust.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Trade 1a: Calderon, #56 for Raja Bell, #47

    Trade 1b: #8, #37, Ed Davis, cash for Gay, #25

    Trade 1c: DeRozan for #18, Ridnour

    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6ublwag


    Draft:
    Waiters (#13)
    Machado (#47)
    Buy a late 1st round pick to select Sullinger for the inevitable slide once teams realize he might require surgery to his back and could miss next year.


    Free Agency:
    S&T Bayless, S&T Weems, #18, #25 for S&T Nash/#13
    MLE to Danny Green
    James Johnson for Sign-&-Trade DJ Augustin using a portion (not near all!) of $7.6M Barbosa TPE
    Re-sign Gray, Magloire, Andersen




    PG: Nash, Augustin, Machado
    SG: Green, Waiters, Bell
    SF: Gay, Kleiza, Andersen
    PF: Bargnani, Amir, Sullinger
    C: JV, Gray, Magloire


    Pushing right against the luxury tax.

    Possible? I think so.

    Likely? Hardly.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    lol why would James Johnson start over Batum?
    Edited the line-ups as I went along with the post, which explains that. No biggie.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •