This is the Final Outcome:

Pg: S.Nash, D.Lillard
    Sg: D.Derozan, J. Bayless
    Sf: N.Batum, J.Johnson
    Pf: A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
    C: J.Valancuinas, A.Gray

This really is broken down into 4 moves:

Draft, Free Agency, Sign & Trade, Re-sign

Draft: Damian Lillard at 8th pick. Easy enough, most mocks predict Lillard will drop to 8th, and recent reports read of strong workouts and strong impressions on most teams. Based on principle of best available, Lillard will probably be our safest choice, and would probably move Jared Bayless to the back up SG spot, where he can come on as a 6th man and become a spark to the team (he has a decent 3pt shot). It would create a dynamic where Bayless is playing for a contract, and Lillard is playing to prove his potential, both have pressure to compete.

Free Agency: Sign Steve Nash 5-8mil for 3 years. All indications have pointed to Steve Nash making a 3 team short list, one of which includes Toronto. I see Toronto as the most likely for obvious reasons, most outstanding of which is his new appointed role as GM of the Canadian national team. Steve Nash is a real vet, and will help make everyone's transition to the raptors easier. I am dreaming of Steve Nash PnR with Jonas!

Sign & Trade: Nicholas Batum from the Portland Trailblazers. Before I get into the details, this is the only part of my process to build the team above that may not pan out, everything else is a really safe bet. Knowing Colangelo though, he is not afraid to go after the more creative of trades.

Portland Signs Batum to an 8-10 Million Dollar deal and immediately trades for:
    -Jose Calderon - 9mil
    -Ed Davis - 2mil
    -2nd Round Pick #37

Toronto gets:
    -Nicholas Batum - 8-10mil

There may also be a possible Trade Exception.

Rationale: Portland has lost its biggest salary eaters this season and are officially rebuilding. This means that they would love to have Ed Davis, cheap, young, and full of potential as well as a strong vet like Calderon, who they can easily eat the contract of for the next season, but will also gain a 9 mil expiring contract! His experience is needed on a team short of it, and he will help the rebuilding process by playing smart point and passing the way he does to develop Aldridge, Ed Davis, Luke Babbit, and Elliot Williams (possibly).

Toronto gains an increasingly versatile budding star. At the age of 23, he fits the mold of EXACTLY what the Raptors need. He is long and athletic, at 6'8'' he blocks with the best of them, plays defense in a way that would make Casey proud, has a smooth and polished but not spectacular offensive game. But who needs spectacular? His consistency at such a young age is refreshing and shows maturity. He has the potential to lead the raptors culture change by leading through example.

Re-Sign: Aaron Gray 2.5mil. Proved he is a solid Centre, and would do well with some consistent backup duties.

Overall Salary looks like:

Steve Nash (5-8mil for 3 years)
    Bargnani 10 mil
    Amir 6 mil
    Bayless 4 mil
    Demar 3 mil
    Aaron 2.5 mil
    James 2.8 mil
    Batum 8-10 mil
    Jonas Valancuinas 3.5 mil
    Lillard 2.5 mil
    Second round pick #56 <1 mil

48.3 - 53.3 mil in 11 players

Cap Room: 12 - 7 mil

Enough Cap Room to fill out roster, possibly keep Linas Kleiza, or other potential pick ups. This leaves us with enough financial flexibility to deepen our roster, and afford contract extensions next season!

Overall Case:
    The Raptors Have to avoid being in the middle of the pack for years to come. This is the season with two fresh new rookies, one highly coveted and hyped up center of the future type, and Damian Lillard who is a steady pick at number 8. The signing of Batum is our answer at SF for multiple years to come, due to his proven potential at the young age of 23. Steve Nash will balance out the two rookies with his veteran experience at running the helm of the ship, will be very important for the successful development of our young ones. Bayless will be given another season before he is due for a contract to see what he is made of. If he comes in next season the same way we saw him through specific spurts the last 2 seasons, he has the potential to be a really good 6th man coming off the bench. I kept Amir Johnson instead of Ed Davis simply for Realistic matters, I wouldve rathered the developing Davis but so does Portland, anyways Johnson would be too expensive to sell to a rebuilding team. At the end of what may seem like a lot, we still maintain a lot of financial flexibility, and this team has the potential to become something really special. I see a great mix of shooting, defense, competence at ever position (no more Butlers in our starting lineup!), athleticism, and even character in this young lineup that can do nothing but continue to improve.
    You lost all your cap space on signing Nash as an UFA. Plus you lost TPE, MLE, Bird Rights on Bayless and Gray.

Going this route leaves the Raptors with only minimum contracts and the $2.5M top up exception.

Comment

jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
      Final Roster:
      G- Tony Parker, Delonte West
      G- Demar DeRozan, M.Gionobli
      F- G.Wallace, J.Johnson/(37)pick
      F- A.Bargnani, A.Johnson
      C- J.Valanciunas, M.Camby, A.Gray

Now, I know what you're thinking, but let me explain. I'll admit this is the most far-fetched of my scenarios but why not keep it interesting, right?

First we denounce Bayless' rights to free up an extra $7 M in cap hold money for free agency, and then we amnesty L.Klieza. At this point we'd be working with $17 M (roughly) in true cap space after July 1st.

Trades: We all now Tim Duncan is a free agent but he'll definately resign with SA. Well they are at the end of an era while we're at the beginning of one. Perhaps we help each other with the transitions? They need to get younger while maintaining competativeness for Duncan, and we need veteran, championchip caliber talent. I propose we send J.Calderon, E.Davis, the 8th Pick, and the $7M TPE to San Antonio for T.Parker and M.Gionobli and perhaps future picks. They stay competative and maintain competativeness while keeping a lot of flexability. Jose and the pick can be used on their backcourt while Ed Davis will be developing beside Duncan. The cash can be combined with the money they'll already have to make a run at top FAs this summer or the next (when Jose's $10M is off the books). We get the perfect PG for our system and a top 3 6th man in this league. Both are great leaders that can help transition us into winners.
      Draft: We draft a SF like Darius Miller with pick (37), and maybe an perimeter prospect like T.Satoransky at (56).
      Free Agency: Convince G.Wallace to sign here to join Parker and Gionobli to make this a deep playoffs team. Give him a contract for 5yrs (Player Option) at $50 M. The dude is Casey's wet dream at SF, and he's a great defender who is not on the decline yet, and he's got the culture-changing attitude. The majority of minutes at the wing will be split between him DeRozan and Gionobli, with Johnson getting spot minutes. Also, split our mid-level exception between a vet big and a vet guard like Camby and West on 1 or 2 yr deals. This roster can win around 50-55 games easily and get deep into the playoffs.

Thoughts??? Interesting at least, right...
      You are forgetting JV's salary which takes your salary cap space to $14M.

Unfortunately you also traded all your cap space in the Parker and Ginobilli trade - forgetting the fact you can't trade a TPE - therefore signing Gerald Wallace is not going to happen - nevermind the signing would be forever known as Hedo Part Deux.

Comment

Was hoping Matt would be a part of this Competition... too bad he's too busy Correctin' shit like a BAWS. Don't bring that sh*t into Matts house! Haha

Just because he isn't a Moderator anymore, doesn't mean he ain't going to Moderate!

*ahem* Sorry, I'm done now. Might actually do this when I get some time.

Comment

Trade 1a: Calderon, #56 for Raja Bell, #47

Trade 1b: #8, #37, Ed Davis, cash for Gay, #25

Trade 1c: DeRozan for #18, Ridnour

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6ublwag

Draft:
          Waiters (#13)
          Machado (#47)
          Buy a late 1st round pick to select Sullinger for the inevitable slide once teams realize he might require surgery to his back and could miss next year.

Free Agency:
          S&T Bayless, S&T Weems, #18, #25 for S&T Nash/#13
          MLE to Danny Green
          James Johnson for Sign-&-Trade DJ Augustin using a portion (not near all!) of $7.6M Barbosa TPE
          Re-sign Gray, Magloire, Andersen

PG: Nash, Augustin, Machado
          SG: Green, Waiters, Bell
          SF: Gay, Kleiza, Andersen
          PF: Bargnani, Amir, Sullinger
          C: JV, Gray, Magloire

Pushing right against the luxury tax.

Possible? I think so.

Likely? Hardly.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
            lol why would James Johnson start over Batum?
            Edited the line-ups as I went along with the post, which explains that. No biggie.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

* This scenario is at least somewhat dependent on Nash declaring his desire to sign with Toronto, before the draft (not necessarily publically, but at least to Toronto, Phoenix and Portland).

#1) Trade: Toronto, Memphis, Portland (agree before draft, execute July 11)

To Memphis
              - #8 pick
              - Ed Davis
              - James Johnson
              - $11.44M cap space savings next season ($45M total savings, pending players re-signing)

To Portland
              - #25 pick
              - Jose Calderon

To Toronto
              - Rudy Gay
              - #11 pick

--> Toronto would only increase their team salary by <$1M, allowing them to execute this trade while maintaining all their cap holds (ie: restricted free agents)
              --> trade could be done before/during draft, if Portland renounces rights to some restricted free agents (ie: Felton)

#2) Trade: Toronto, New Orleans (before/during draft)

To New Orleans
              - #37 pick
              - 2013 1st round pick (top-3 protected)

To Toronto
              - #10 pick

#3) Trade: Toronto, Phoenix (agree before draft, execute July 11)

To Phoenix
              - Jerryd Bayless (S&T)
              - #56 pick
              - 2013 2nd round pick

To Toronto
              - Steve Nash (S&T)

#4) Trade: Toronto, Cleveland (after July 11)

To Cleveland
              - Sonny Weems (S&T)

To Toronto
              - 2013 2nd round pick

#5) Draft

- Davis, Robinson, Beal, Barnes, MKG go top-5
              - Portland drafts Drummond @ #6
              - Golden State drafts Waiters @ #7
              - Memphis drafts Lamb @ #8 (to address their 3pt shooting needs)
              - Detroit drafts Henson @ #9
              - Toronto drafts Lillard @ #10
              - Toronto drafts Rivers @ #11
              * if Lillard isn't available, Toronto can draft Rivers & Marshall instead

#6) Free Agency
              - re-sign Gray to Veteran Exception (backup C)
              - re-sign Magloire to minimum contract (emergency C)
              - re-sign Uzoh to minimum contract (emergency PG)

2012-2013 LINEUP

C: Valanciunas, Gray, Magloire
              PF: Bargnani, Amir
              SF: Gay, Kleiza
              SG: DeRozan, Rivers, Forbes
              PG: Nash, Lillard, Uzoh

- 13 players under contract, with 2 free roster spots
              - total team salary is approximately $65M ($7M over cap, $5M under luxury tax)
              - full MLE is still available
              - full $7M TPE is still available
              - 2013 Draft: 0 x 1st round picks, 1 x 2nd round pick (from Cleveland)
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                * This scenario is at least somewhat dependent on Nash declaring his desire to sign with Toronto, before the draft (not necessarily publically, but at least to Toronto, Phoenix and Portland).

#1) Trade: Toronto, Memphis, Portland (agree before draft, execute July 11)

To Memphis
                - #8 pick
                - Ed Davis
                - James Johnson
                - $11.44M cap space savings next season ($45M total savings, pending players re-signing)

To Portland
                - #25 pick
                - Jose Calderon

To Toronto
                - Rudy Gay
                - #11 pick

--> Toronto would only increase their team salary by <$1M, allowing them to execute this trade while maintaining all their cap holds (ie: restricted free agents)
                --> trade could be done before/during draft, if Portland renounces rights to some restricted free agents (ie: Felton)

#2) Trade: Toronto, New Orleans (before/during draft)

To New Orleans
                - #37 pick
                - 2013 1st round pick (top-3 protected)

To Toronto
                - #10 pick

#3) Trade: Toronto, Phoenix (agree before draft, execute July 11)

To Phoenix
                - Jerryd Bayless (S&T)
                - #56 pick
                - 2013 2nd round pick

To Toronto
                - Steve Nash (S&T)

#4) Trade: Toronto, Cleveland (after July 11)

To Cleveland
                - Sonny Weems (S&T)

To Toronto
                - 2013 2nd round pick

#5) Draft

- Davis, Robinson, Beal, Barnes, MKG go top-5
                - Portland drafts Drummond @ #6
                - Golden State drafts Waiters @ #7
                - Memphis drafts Lamb @ #8 (to address their 3pt shooting needs)
                - Detroit drafts Henson @ #9
                - Toronto drafts Lillard @ #10
                - Toronto drafts Rivers @ #11
                * if Lillard isn't available, Toronto can draft Rivers & Marshall instead

#6) Free Agency
                - re-sign Gray to Veteran Exception (backup C)
                - re-sign Magloire to minimum contract (emergency C)
                - re-sign Uzoh to minimum contract (emergency PG)

2012-2013 LINEUP

C: Valanciunas, Gray, Magloire
                PF: Bargnani, Amir
                SF: Gay, Kleiza
                SG: DeRozan, Rivers, Forbes
                PG: Nash, Lillard, Uzoh

- 13 players under contract, with 2 free roster spots
                - total team salary is approximately $65M ($7M over cap, $5M under luxury tax)
                - full MLE is still available
                - full $7M TPE is still available
                - 2013 Draft: 0 x 1st round picks, 1 x 2nd round pick (from Cleveland)
                I support this message.

Comment

Working...
                X