Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: The Case for Damian Lillard

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Case for Damian Lillard

    The Raptors need an athletic, defensively capable, and offensively gifted PG that can lead this team to the successful seasons it's been desiring. Damian Lillard could very well be that guy. He can shoot the ball better than any prospect in the lottery and does an excellent job ofpushing the ball and creating offense. He's a legit 6'3" (with shoes on) and posesses a startling 40" vertical. He's got all the tools and the motor to be a great defender; the kind that can line up with the Roses, Rondos, and Westbrooks of the league. Under Casey's close watch he can be the perfect first line of defence. His only knock thus far is that he didn't prove to be much of a distributed at Weber State because he was busy dropping 24.5 points a night, good for second in the NCAA. In his defense, he wasn't asked nor required of him to be a distributing PG. He contributed better to his team by scoring. When surrounded by talented players to help carry the scoring load this would likely change, no? At least he's indicated his desire to pass more.

    Lillard is 21 and is an experienced rookie. That and his serious approach to the game indicate that his learning curve should be shorter than most. If recent rumors are true and Steve Nash is likely go come to Toronto, this would be the perfect PG to groom behind the veteran Nash. He'd provide them defence and instant offense off the bench until he took over the position full time. This is a GOOD draft class, and he's the best PG in it, he's already going to be better than the Walkers and Knights of last year. He's touted to become a Chauncey Billups type. Assuming he's available at 8, which is likely if the Kings don't select him, then he should be the Raptors' pick. He'll fill that need for the next decade. I see a great player here.

    Thoughts???

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think that he could be a tremendous player, but Jose is a fantastic player. I'm much more worried for the 3 spot than at PG. And at his weight and his tiny frame, he'd be torn apart by a lot of players, especially on switches and going through screens.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    478
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't like Lillard because he is too old. He is 21 right now, but 22 next month. I am a firm believer in drafting younger rookies. He is dominating his competition in the NCAA because he is older than most players in the NCAA. The same won't hold true in the NBA.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I don't like Lillard because he is too old. He is 21 right now, but 22 next month. I am a firm believer in drafting younger rookies. He is dominating his competition in the NCAA because he is older than most players in the NCAA. The same won't hold true in the NBA.
    It's true that he is on the older side of the draft, but there have been players in the past that have shown rapid improvement in their first few seasons. Joakim Noah, Arron Afflalo, Roy Hibbert, Ty Lawson, Danny Granger, David West, David Lee and Brandon Roy, Dwayne Wade, Shane Battier and George Hill would be some examples. So therefore, I don't think that Lillard's age should play too big of a factor into the reason why we shouldn't consider drafting him. It's sometimes better to draft a player who can contribute immediately than a younger player that has huge upside, but might not live up to it.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As for the case for Damian Lillard, I found a two part article on the subject on RaptorsHQ that I found to be very convincing and rather interesting!

    Part 1:
    http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/6/20/3...rs-eighth-pick

    Part 2:
    http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/6/20/3...rs-eighth-pick

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I don't like Lillard because he is too old. He is 21 right now, but 22 next month. I am a firm believer in drafting younger rookies. He is dominating his competition in the NCAA because he is older than most players in the NCAA. The same won't hold true in the NBA.
    wouldn't want t-rob? also 21 mostly a bench player first two years of his ncaa career.

    i stretched out the stats so you can see his entire collegiate career
    he shot better than rivers in his rookie year

    15ppg on 12 shots for rivers
    11.5 on 9 shots for liliard

    more steals/blocks and assists then rivers

    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...rd-6152/stats/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...rs-5743/stats/

    i chose rivers because he is a freshmen to match up against lilliard but compared their first year stats with each other instead of this years stats.

    i think that if liliard played at a bigger school and had those numbers his freshmen year he would be in the nba already.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,367
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    I don't like Lillard because he is too old. He is 21 right now, but 22 next month. I am a firm believer in drafting younger rookies. He is dominating his competition in the NCAA because he is older than most players in the NCAA. The same won't hold true in the NBA.
    Being young doesn't guarantee one will improve. Results are a much better indicator of future performance than the intangible "potential" every prospect seems to come with. Skill is skill no matter what age you acquire them.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    you could say the exact same bs about bayless..........

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    you could say the exact same bs about bayless..........
    i believe in bayless and think that sf is our main concern but its a case for lilliard thread and i would support that pick wholeheartedly. a 21 year old who will be on a rookie deal at 25 still is a plus
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Sun Jun 24th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    434
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    It's true that he is on the older side of the draft, but there have been players in the past that have shown rapid improvement in their first few seasons. Joakim Noah, Arron Afflalo, Roy Hibbert, Ty Lawson, Danny Granger, David West, David Lee and Brandon Roy, Dwayne Wade, Shane Battier and George Hill would be some examples. So therefore, I don't think that Lillard's age should play too big of a factor into the reason why we shouldn't consider drafting him. It's sometimes better to draft a player who can contribute immediately than a younger player that has huge upside, but might not live up to it.
    Agree with this especially with our difficulty keeping players long term. With the salary committment for high picks i have no issues with giving nba readiness weight in the decision process

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,818
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    mega lols at 21 being too old
    @jerboat

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i know. This isn't the Medieval times where u die at like 50.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    i know. This isn't the Medieval times where u die at like 50.
    ... and we are not talking about NFL players.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    ... and we are not talking about NFL players.
    neither am i. People act as though NBA players are like old geezers by the time their 40. Since when is 21 too old? thats just stupid

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    neither am i. People act as though NBA players are like old geezers by the time their 40. Since when is 21 too old? thats just stupid
    I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not... I was agreeing with you and just making the point that NFL players seem to die a lot younger. Here is a quote:

    "Studies in the United States show that men who play five or more years in the NFL have a life expectancy of 55, 20 years less than the average in the general public. For linemen, perhaps due to their size, the life expectancy is 52." -http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/average-lifespan-football-player-52
    It also should be noted that the statistics are being disputed by many.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    golden state will probably take him, curry's injury prone, he seems rather mature and has the physical tools, calderon is too old to be a realistic future option, I would take him if I had the chance...

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    golden state will probably take him, curry's injury prone, he seems rather mature and has the physical tools, calderon is too old to be a realistic future option, I would take him if I had the chance...
    Personally I do not see why GS would want him. If anything, they much rather have Waiter. Also, if any team would want him before us, it is Portland.

  18. #18
    Super Moderator MangoKid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    3,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Personally I do not see why GS would want him. If anything, they much rather have Waiter. Also, if any team would want him before us, it is Portland.
    The Warriors might have interest in him because he's a hometown kid. It would be a smallish back court with him and Curry, but it's a decent insurance policy should Curry be injured and they can interchange the two.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Personally I do not see why GS would want him. If anything, they much rather have Waiter. Also, if any team would want him before us, it is Portland.
    forgot about portland, good point.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    The Warriors might have interest in him because he's a hometown kid. It would be a smallish back court with him and Curry, but it's a decent insurance policy should Curry be injured and they can interchange the two.
    I guess him being a hometown kid would entice GS to get him, but I feel like the Warriors are just one piece away from being a major playoff caliber team (assuming that Curry and Bogut can stay healthy). It's actually another possibility for them to get PJII or Barnes (if available) since the SF position seems to be the weakest position next to PG. But I do understand what you mean when you say that they need someone to back up Curry since he's injuring his ankle every 20 games or so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •