The Case for Damian Lillard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Case for Damian Lillard

The Raptors need an athletic, defensively capable, and offensively gifted PG that can lead this team to the successful seasons it's been desiring. Damian Lillard could very well be that guy. He can shoot the ball better than any prospect in the lottery and does an excellent job ofpushing the ball and creating offense. He's a legit 6'3" (with shoes on) and posesses a startling 40" vertical. He's got all the tools and the motor to be a great defender; the kind that can line up with the Roses, Rondos, and Westbrooks of the league. Under Casey's close watch he can be the perfect first line of defence. His only knock thus far is that he didn't prove to be much of a distributed at Weber State because he was busy dropping 24.5 points a night, good for second in the NCAA. In his defense, he wasn't asked nor required of him to be a distributing PG. He contributed better to his team by scoring. When surrounded by talented players to help carry the scoring load this would likely change, no? At least he's indicated his desire to pass more.

Lillard is 21 and is an experienced rookie. That and his serious approach to the game indicate that his learning curve should be shorter than most. If recent rumors are true and Steve Nash is likely go come to Toronto, this would be the perfect PG to groom behind the veteran Nash. He'd provide them defence and instant offense off the bench until he took over the position full time. This is a GOOD draft class, and he's the best PG in it, he's already going to be better than the Walkers and Knights of last year. He's touted to become a Chauncey Billups type. Assuming he's available at 8, which is likely if the Kings don't select him, then he should be the Raptors' pick. He'll fill that need for the next decade. I see a great player here.

Thoughts???

I think that he could be a tremendous player, but Jose is a fantastic player. I'm much more worried for the 3 spot than at PG. And at his weight and his tiny frame, he'd be torn apart by a lot of players, especially on switches and going through screens.

Comment

I don't like Lillard because he is too old. He is 21 right now, but 22 next month. I am a firm believer in drafting younger rookies. He is dominating his competition in the NCAA because he is older than most players in the NCAA. The same won't hold true in the NBA.
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        I don't like Lillard because he is too old. He is 21 right now, but 22 next month. I am a firm believer in drafting younger rookies. He is dominating his competition in the NCAA because he is older than most players in the NCAA. The same won't hold true in the NBA.
        It's true that he is on the older side of the draft, but there have been players in the past that have shown rapid improvement in their first few seasons. Joakim Noah, Arron Afflalo, Roy Hibbert, Ty Lawson, Danny Granger, David West, David Lee and Brandon Roy, Dwayne Wade, Shane Battier and George Hill would be some examples. So therefore, I don't think that Lillard's age should play too big of a factor into the reason why we shouldn't consider drafting him. It's sometimes better to draft a player who can contribute immediately than a younger player that has huge upside, but might not live up to it.

Comment

As for the case for Damian Lillard, I found a two part article on the subject on RaptorsHQ that I found to be very convincing and rather interesting!

Part 1:
          http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/6/20/3...rs-eighth-pick

Part 2:
          http://www.raptorshq.com/2012/6/20/3...rs-eighth-pick

Comment

wouldn't want t-rob? also 21 mostly a bench player first two years of his ncaa career.

i stretched out the stats so you can see his entire collegiate career
            he shot better than rivers in his rookie year

15ppg on 12 shots for rivers
            11.5 on 9 shots for liliard

more steals/blocks and assists then rivers

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...rd-6152/stats/
            http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...rs-5743/stats/

i chose rivers because he is a freshmen to match up against lilliard but compared their first year stats with each other instead of this years stats.

i think that if liliard played at a bigger school and had those numbers his freshmen year he would be in the nba already.

Comment

Being young doesn't guarantee one will improve. Results are a much better indicator of future performance than the intangible "potential" every prospect seems to come with. Skill is skill no matter what age you acquire them.

Comment

you could say the exact same bs about bayless..........

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  you could say the exact same bs about bayless..........
                  i believe in bayless and think that sf is our main concern but its a case for lilliard thread and i would support that pick wholeheartedly. a 21 year old who will be on a rookie deal at 25 still is a plus
                  Last edited by Miekenstien; Sun Jun 24, 2012, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                    It's true that he is on the older side of the draft, but there have been players in the past that have shown rapid improvement in their first few seasons. Joakim Noah, Arron Afflalo, Roy Hibbert, Ty Lawson, Danny Granger, David West, David Lee and Brandon Roy, Dwayne Wade, Shane Battier and George Hill would be some examples. So therefore, I don't think that Lillard's age should play too big of a factor into the reason why we shouldn't consider drafting him. It's sometimes better to draft a player who can contribute immediately than a younger player that has huge upside, but might not live up to it.
                    Agree with this especially with our difficulty keeping players long term. With the salary committment for high picks i have no issues with giving nba readiness weight in the decision process

Comment

mega lols at 21 being too old
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i know. This isn't the Medieval times where u die at like 50.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          i know. This isn't the Medieval times where u die at like 50.
                          ... and we are not talking about NFL players.
                          “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                          ― John Wooden

Comment

The Coach wrote: View Post
                            ... and we are not talking about NFL players.
                            neither am i. People act as though NBA players are like old geezers by the time their 40. Since when is 21 too old? thats just stupid

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              neither am i. People act as though NBA players are like old geezers by the time their 40. Since when is 21 too old? thats just stupid
                              I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not... I was agreeing with you and just making the point that NFL players seem to die a lot younger. Here is a quote:

"Studies in the United States show that men who play five or more years in the NFL have a life expectancy of 55, 20 years less than the average in the general public. For linemen, perhaps due to their size, the life expectancy is 52." -http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/average-lifespan-football-player-52
                              It also should be noted that the statistics are being disputed by many.
                              “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                              ― John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                              X