Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cavs want to switch picks with Charlotte. Can we capitalize if it happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavs want to switch picks with Charlotte. Can we capitalize if it happens?

There have been rumors for a while that Cleveland want to swap the 4th and 24th pick for the 2nd pick from Charlotte. This is probably to draft Beal before Washington can. So I was just wondering if the Raptors can take advantage of this if the Cavs do succeed in getting the 2nd pick from Charlotte. Is there any way we can interest Washington enough for the 3rd pick in the draft? Are we able to just switch picks with Washington along with some assets? If so, we could draft Barnes/MKG with the 3rd pick and Washington can fill their need for a SG by drafting Waiter, Rivers, or Lamb at the 8th spot. I was also wondering if it was possible to get the 3rd pick from Washington without trading our 8th pick? Anyone have any trade ideas for this?

http://hoopfocus.com/2012/06/23/bobc...ld-swap-picks/
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Sun Jun 24, 2012, 01:06 PM.

it doesn't make any sense from charlottes end, the 24th pick seems like very little incentive to give up the 2nd pick in the draft....

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
      it doesn't make any sense from charlottes end, the 24th pick seems like very little incentive to give up the 2nd pick in the draft....
      Well to be completely honest, it does not really matter to Charlotte in my opinion. They are most likely going to draft Thomas Robinson and I am pretty sure that he will still be available at the 4th spot if Cleveland chooses Beal.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
        Well to be completely honest, it does not really matter to Charlotte in my opinion. They are most likely going to draft Thomas Robinson and I am pretty sure that he will still be available at the 4th spot if Cleveland chooses Beal.
        or they could just draft beal themselves, charlotte has so many holes to fill, and with beals athelticism and good shot, he could easily end up being the best player to come out of this draft...

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
          or they could just draft beal themselves, charlotte has so many holes to fill, and with beals athelticism and good shot, he could easily end up being the best player to come out of this draft...
          As much as Beal is an amazing athlete and as much as Charlotte has lots of holes to fill, I think Charlotte believes that Gerald Henderson is their future SG and they probably want him to be the face of the franchise along with Walker (As pathetic as that sounds). He played pretty well and has improved a lot since last season. If anything, I feel that Charlotte will draft either Robinson, MKG, or Barnes. I seriously doubt that Charlotte will draft Beal. If Charlotte don't draft Robinson, I think they'll definitely draft MKG!

Comment

It won't be as big of a difference drafting Robinson 4th than 2nd. Robinson doesn't fit in neither the Cavs or Wizards plans looking down the road. Nene/Okafor on Washington, and fellow Canadian Tristan Thompson on Cleveland. If anything, Cleveland is losing a piece in that extra pick at 24th.

*IF trade happens
            1 - Anthony Davis
            2 - *Cleveland's Pick*
            3 - Brad Beal or Andre Drummond
            4 - Thomas Robinson or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

If Charlotte makes this trade, it could be big for them down the road because for sure either Beal, Barnes, Robinson, MKG will be available come 4th. Plus the 24th with the ability to draft a guy like M. Teague, Quincy Miller, Tony Wroten Jr., Fab Melo, and anyone could drop come draft day, and with how things are looking, a guy like Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, or Sullinger could each drop.

Cleveland's case only secures a pick, this is a trade you have to think long and hard, but if you're Charlotte, I wouldn't mind taking a small risk, unless they are BIG on Thomas Robinson and want to secure him.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              It won't be as big of a difference drafting Robinson 4th than 2nd. Robinson doesn't fit in neither the Cavs or Wizards plans looking down the road. Nene/Okafor on Washington, and fellow Canadian Tristan Thompson on Cleveland. If anything, Cleveland is losing a piece in that extra pick at 24th.

*IF trade happens
              1 - Anthony Davis
              2 - *Cleveland's Pick*
              3 - Brad Beal or Andre Drummond
              4 - Thomas Robinson or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

If Charlotte makes this trade, it could be big for them down the road because for sure either Beal, Barnes, Robinson, MKG will be available come 4th. Plus the 24th with the ability to draft a guy like M. Teague, Quincy Miller, Tony Wroten Jr., Fab Melo, and anyone could drop come draft day, and with how things are looking, a guy like Perry Jones, Terrence Jones, or Sullinger could each drop.

Cleveland's case only secures a pick, this is a trade you have to think long and hard, but if you're Charlotte, I wouldn't mind taking a small risk, unless they are BIG on Thomas Robinson and want to secure him.
              Exactly my thinking. I think Cleveland will be wanting to draft Beal or else there will be no reason to move up to the 2nd spot since Barnes and MKG will most likely be available at the 4th pick. They have to move up to get Beal because it's pretty obvious that Washington will draft Beal to fill that empty shooting guard position before Cleveland can in the 4th spot. So if this is possible, is there a way we can get the 3rd pick from Washington since they won't get Beal if Cleveland gets the 2nd pick?

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                Exactly my thinking. I think Cleveland will be wanting to draft Beal or else there will be no reason to move up to the 2nd spot since Barnes and MKG will most likely be available at the 4th pick. They have to move up to get Beal because it's pretty obvious that Washington will draft Beal to fill that empty shooting guard position before Cleveland can in the 4th spot. So if this is possible, is there a way we can get the 3rd pick from Washington since they won't get Beal if Cleveland gets the 2nd pick?
                Well because we are projected to draft a two at our position, Washington will be in desperate need. Jeremy Lamb, Dion Waiters, Austin Rivers.

I think we can offer our 8th & 37th + Ed Davis + Jerryd Bayless for their 3rd + Andray Blatche. Washington wants to get rid of his contract, and with this trade...

Washington is able to secure a good point guard behind John Wall who can ALSO play the two, and Ed Davis who helps secure a good big man coming off the bench with Kevin Seraphin. At the 8th they draft Lamb/Rivers/Waiters. In my eye they take Lamb, who is at the moment the BPA. Washington doesn't use up their amnesty clause, and are able to pick up two solid contributors to make an impact off the bench. The team looks playoff ready im my opinion.

PG - John Wall/Jerryd Bayless/Shelvin Mack
                SG - Lamb-Rivers-Waiters(First Rounder)/Crawford
                SF - Trevor Ariza/Vesely/(Second Round Pick)
                PF - Nene/Ed Davis
                C - Emeka Okafor/Kevin Seraphin

For Toronto, we amnesty Blatche INSTEAD of Jose, opening more cap space for free agency. With the 3rd pick, we draft best player(s) available, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Harrison Barnes. If BC is taking a risk, we draft Damien Lillard.

PG - Jose Calderon/(Damien Lillard)
                SG - Demar Derozan/Gary Forbes/Alan Anderson
                SF - (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist or Harrison Barnes)/James Johnson/Linas Kleiza
                PF - Andrea Bargnani/Amir Johnson
                C - Jonas Valanciunas/Aaron Gray/Jamaal Magloire

+ the fact with +12$ million in free cap space. Acquiring players via trade/free agency. We are headed in the right direction..

Just a thought.

EDIT* When I said we draft best player available, I also connected it with NEEDS, that's why I didn't include Robinson or Drummond.
                Last edited by ReubenJRD; Mon Jun 25, 2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

We can't trade for Blatche and then amnesty him.. He needed to be on our team at the time that the amnesty clause was made

Comment

Colangelo has stated that teams are asking the Raptors for #8 plus one of their best young players(my guess is JV or Bargnani) in order to move up. They're best staying where they are.

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
                      We can't trade for Blatche and then amnesty him.. He needed to be on our team at the time that the amnesty clause was made
                      Hmmmm. I wasn't too aware. Well I guess keep the idea. Blatche in a new environment under a non-tolerating coach could be beneficial, but BC wants nothing to do with headcases.

Comment

Working...
                      X