Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors + Nash + _______ = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If Toronto starts with about $12M of cap space and both Nash/Batum will get around $10M, then Toronto would need to move out at least $8M (to sign both outright). They'd have a little more room to manouever if one/both were acquired via S&T, but at least some salary would need to be eliminated (via trade or amnesty).
    So you're saying we'd have to trade Calderon and amnesty Kleiza/Amir?

Cause i'll do it.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      So you're saying we'd have to trade Calderon and amnesty Kleiza/Amir?

Cause i'll do it.
      Depending how the acquisitions went down (ie: signing vs S&T), it's likely that only one of those things would have to happen. I believe that if Calderon were to be traded (or amnestied), that would suffice, as Toronto would then have over $22M cap space (this assumes they renounce their restricted FAs - ie: Bayless, Gray).

For example, if Calderon were traded for Nash, it would have pretty much no impact on cap space, assuming Nash is to make $10M/yr (since Calderon makes $10M this season and $10.5M next season). Toronto could theoretically offer up to about $12M to Batum. I believe if they were to sign Batum (as opposed to trading for him or trading for a different high priced player like Gay/Iguodala/Deng), they would lose their TPE and MLE. If the did trade for him at $12M per season, they'd be at the salary cap, but could then use the TPE and MLE.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 26, 2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

If they've got an ability to free up a pile of cap space, I'd rather try and trade for Howard for a single year and try to make a run with him and Nash.

In all of these scenarios people are coming up with, I see not a one that nets us a superstar. Without a superstar they can't win, so all these other machinations seem to me to be immaterial. Not quite busybody work but not much better.

Comment

The genie from Aladdin.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            If they've got an ability to free up a pile of cap space, I'd rather try and trade for Howard for a single year and try to make a run with him and Nash.

In all of these scenarios people are coming up with, I see not a one that nets us a superstar. Without a superstar they can't win, so all these other machinations seem to me to be immaterial. Not quite busybody work but not much better.
            I agree, why not swing for the fences this year, even if Howard walks, they still have a good core in Bargnani, DD, JV and Nash (if he does get signed).

And if Howard walks, wouldnt that be cap space for them to work with?

Comment

A cryogenic chamber, so that Nash stays at his prime for the next 30 years or so.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Depending how the acquisitions went down (ie: signing vs S&T), it's likely that only one of those things would have to happen. I believe that if Calderon were to be traded (or amnestied), that would suffice, as Toronto would then have over $22M cap space (this assumes they renounce their restricted FAs - ie: Bayless, Gray).

For example, if Calderon were traded for Nash, it would have pretty much no impact on cap space, assuming Nash is to make $10M/yr (since Calderon makes $10M this season and $10.5M next season). Toronto could theoretically offer up to about $12M to Batum. I believe if they were to sign Batum (as opposed to trading for him or trading for a different high priced player like Gay/Iguodala/Deng), they would lose their TPE and MLE. If the did trade for him at $12M per season, they'd be at the salary cap, but could then use the TPE and MLE.
                I really dont get the fascination with Batum.....

THis is a legit question, not a sarcastic remark.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post

I wasn't suggesting that course of action, just responding to ceez. I like Batum, but wouldn't offer him more than $6-8M, under normal circumstances. Given that Portland would likely match just about any offer, I would probably stay clear of him, especially if a bidding war drives his price way up.

Comment

I'm with you on that tbihis. I don't understand it at all.

I'll complete this equation once and for all:

CHAMPIONSHIP - HAPPY FANS

So it's:

RAPTORS + NASH + CHAMPIONSHIP - HAPPY FANS = CHAMPIONSHIP
                    --the two Championships cancel eachother out, leaving:
                    RAPTORS + NASH = HAPPY FANS
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

I agree, why not swing for the fences this year, even if Howard walks, they still have a good core in Bargnani, DD, JV and Nash (if he does get signed).

And if Howard walks, wouldnt that be cap space for them to work with?
                      I'm all for going after Howard.. the problem is that in order to get him from Orlando you would need to give up legitimate assets - like JV, DeMar, #8 and possibly a veteran like Bargnani or Calderon. Giving up everything but the kitchen sink may entice Orlando in giving him up, but then if he walks.. we lose a lot of core pieces.

High risk, high reward. But a big risk.. and that's why many GM's wouldn't do it.

Morey has balls.

Comment

for me its not a fascination as u put it.. im just trying to be realistic with the options & Batum just so happens to be a RFA who could be had..id just as easily add any other rising young SF with tons of potential or a proven SF in there prime.. but whats out there other then maybe Gay or Iggy, Grant Hill, id rather batum over them 3

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          I'm with you on that tbihis. I don't understand it at all.

I'll complete this equation once and for all:

CHAMPIONSHIP - HAPPY FANS

So it's:

RAPTORS + NASH + CHAMPIONSHIP - HAPPY FANS = CHAMPIONSHIP
                          --the two Championships cancel eachother out, leaving:
                          RAPTORS + NASH = HAPPY FANS
                          Championships are like terms. Two championships would only cancel each other if one was a numerator and one was a denominator. Class dismissed.

Comment

Pau Gasol.

Apparently if we give the Lakers our #8 pick and a player, we can have him.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...pick-pau-gasol

I'm sold. They can have their pick of anyone on the roster if I'm the GM.

Comment

Seeten wrote: View Post
                              Pau Gasol.

I think it makes much more sense for Houston to be after Gasol. Perhaps one/two of their picks and Scola for Gasol? They were going pretty hard after Gasol last year too, from what I recall.

Comment

Seeten wrote: View Post
                                Pau Gasol.

Why would we want an ageing Pau Gasol? I'd rather stick with bargs and keep our 8th pick

Comment

Working...
                                X