Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors + Nash + _______ = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors + Nash + THE DREAM TEAM = CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Not gonna happen. Unless its Nash + Westbrook, with nash coming off the bench.

As we've seen in his days in phoenix, you cannot win championships by *JUST* outscoring your opponents.

It starts and ends with defense
    Last edited by DaveKim; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post

As we've seen in his days in phoenix, you cannot win championships by outscoring your opponents.
    I'm sorry, it was only a matter of time.

Post Thanks / Like

you cannot win championships by outscoring your opponents.
    This isn't golf.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

As we've seen in his days in phoenix, you cannot win championships by outscoring your opponents.
    So you win by scoring less than your opponents?

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lets Go RAPTORS!!!

For the Raptors to be compete and be successful next season, we should trade the 8th pick to Houston for Lowry and the 16th pick. With that pick we should draft Harkless (big time sleeper) or take a Gamble on some guys like PJ3 or Sullinger if they are still on the board to fill in the SF position. Also, I would look to sign a free agent shooting guard, such as barbosa etc. Eventually with a few minor adjustments next years squad would look quite formidable amongst the best teams in the league.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nash+Batum+R.Allen= 2nd round at worst

Post Thanks / Like

Can we get Nash AND Batum cap wise?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Can we get Nash AND Batum cap wise?
    If Toronto starts with about $12M of cap space and both Nash/Batum will get around $10M, then Toronto would need to move out at least $8M (to sign both outright). They'd have a little more room to manouever if one/both were acquired via S&T, but at least some salary would need to be eliminated (via trade or amnesty).

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If Toronto starts with about $12M of cap space and both Nash/Batum will get around $10M, then Toronto would need to move out at least $8M (to sign both outright). They'd have a little more room to manouever if one/both were acquired via S&T, but at least some salary would need to be eliminated (via trade or amnesty).
    im sure if nash signs they will trade orr amnisty Jose for sure.. they could realisticly offer Jose to Portland in a S&T deal for Batum or they could just amnesty him to clear enough space to sign Batum. they could offer the Mid-Level to R.Allen if it were avail. to them. hed be a good mentor for Demar & could start in a pinch.

Post Thanks / Like

So you're saying we'd have to trade Calderon and amnesty Kleiza/Amir?

Cause i'll do it.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    So you're saying we'd have to trade Calderon and amnesty Kleiza/Amir?

Cause i'll do it.
    Depending how the acquisitions went down (ie: signing vs S&T), it's likely that only one of those things would have to happen. I believe that if Calderon were to be traded (or amnestied), that would suffice, as Toronto would then have over $22M cap space (this assumes they renounce their restricted FAs - ie: Bayless, Gray).

For example, if Calderon were traded for Nash, it would have pretty much no impact on cap space, assuming Nash is to make $10M/yr (since Calderon makes $10M this season and $10.5M next season). Toronto could theoretically offer up to about $12M to Batum. I believe if they were to sign Batum (as opposed to trading for him or trading for a different high priced player like Gay/Iguodala/Deng), they would lose their TPE and MLE. If the did trade for him at $12M per season, they'd be at the salary cap, but could then use the TPE and MLE.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jun 26th, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If they've got an ability to free up a pile of cap space, I'd rather try and trade for Howard for a single year and try to make a run with him and Nash.

In all of these scenarios people are coming up with, I see not a one that nets us a superstar. Without a superstar they can't win, so all these other machinations seem to me to be immaterial. Not quite busybody work but not much better.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The genie from Aladdin.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    If they've got an ability to free up a pile of cap space, I'd rather try and trade for Howard for a single year and try to make a run with him and Nash.

In all of these scenarios people are coming up with, I see not a one that nets us a superstar. Without a superstar they can't win, so all these other machinations seem to me to be immaterial. Not quite busybody work but not much better.
    I agree, why not swing for the fences this year, even if Howard walks, they still have a good core in Bargnani, DD, JV and Nash (if he does get signed).

And if Howard walks, wouldnt that be cap space for them to work with?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

A cryogenic chamber, so that Nash stays at his prime for the next 30 years or so.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending how the acquisitions went down (ie: signing vs S&T), it's likely that only one of those things would have to happen. I believe that if Calderon were to be traded (or amnestied), that would suffice, as Toronto would then have over $22M cap space (this assumes they renounce their restricted FAs - ie: Bayless, Gray).

For example, if Calderon were traded for Nash, it would have pretty much no impact on cap space, assuming Nash is to make $10M/yr (since Calderon makes $10M this season and $10.5M next season). Toronto could theoretically offer up to about $12M to Batum. I believe if they were to sign Batum (as opposed to trading for him or trading for a different high priced player like Gay/Iguodala/Deng), they would lose their TPE and MLE. If the did trade for him at $12M per season, they'd be at the salary cap, but could then use the TPE and MLE.
    I really dont get the fascination with Batum.....

THis is a legit question, not a sarcastic remark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I really dont get the fascination with Batum.....

THis is a legit question, not a sarcastic remark.
    I wasn't suggesting that course of action, just responding to ceez. I like Batum, but wouldn't offer him more than $6-8M, under normal circumstances. Given that Portland would likely match just about any offer, I would probably stay clear of him, especially if a bidding war drives his price way up.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on that tbihis. I don't understand it at all.

I'll complete this equation once and for all:

CHAMPIONSHIP - HAPPY FANS

So it's:

RAPTORS + NASH + CHAMPIONSHIP - HAPPY FANS = CHAMPIONSHIP
    --the two Championships cancel eachother out, leaving:
    RAPTORS + NASH = HAPPY FANS
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    I agree, why not swing for the fences this year, even if Howard walks, they still have a good core in Bargnani, DD, JV and Nash (if he does get signed).

And if Howard walks, wouldnt that be cap space for them to work with?
    I'm all for going after Howard.. the problem is that in order to get him from Orlando you would need to give up legitimate assets - like JV, DeMar, #8 and possibly a veteran like Bargnani or Calderon. Giving up everything but the kitchen sink may entice Orlando in giving him up, but then if he walks.. we lose a lot of core pieces.

High risk, high reward. But a big risk.. and that's why many GM's wouldn't do it.

Morey has balls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information