Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Draft day is here!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    1) one of Barnes, Lillard, or Waiters
    2) Barnes

***In my opinion, the key to the draft is Andre Drummond. If he goes top 7, one of Barnes, Lillar, or Waiters is on the board for Toronto. If he slides, this season was a difficult pill to swallow***
    I'm with you on this one but you can change Barnes with Lillard for number 2.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    ...Someone who can get you 24 a night without needing 20shots and who can take over games in crunch time...
    Is that all you hope for at the 8 spot? Not someone who can walk on water, or has an iron suit? Should be no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Is that all you hope for at the 8 spot? Not someone who can walk on water, or has an iron suit? Should be no problem.
    Well then, move up or move out of the draft to get that guy. If we're drafting another Derozan or Ed Davis then just move the pick. Raps have enough bench players and backups. Elite players are needed. If they can't get one at 8, then make a move so they can.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    At 8, I see them taking the best perimeter option available. They don't need a young centre (that JV) and Bargs is the PF. I see no point in taking a rookie to back up either guy.

Since I know next to nothing about any of these guys (I'm not going to pretend I give a crap about NCAA ball or watch it at all), I'm just hopeful that they can snag an impact, perimeter guy at 8. Someone who can get you 24 a night without needing 20shots and who can take over games in crunch time. We've had good luck with UNC small forwards before, so, based on that alone, I'll go with Barnes....
    There are only 4 players in the league who met that criteria (and the 4th is a rounding on my part):

Player/points/shots

Lebron/27.1/18.9
    Durant/28.0/19.7
    Love/26.0/19.3
    Westbrook/23.6/19.2

Those happen to be 4 of the top 5 scorers in the league with Kobe at 27.9 on 23.0 shots excluded.

I think everyone would be hoping for this type of talent/player - even if they are taking almost 20 shots per game to get to 24 points.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

My big board of 8: (subject to change)

AD
    MKG
    Barnes
    Beal
    Robinson
    Lillard
    Waiters
    Drummond

Of those, Barnes, Lillard, Waiters, and Drummond are the only ones that seem reasonable. Praying for Barnes, preparing for Drummond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they started this hideous rumour that Waiters is actually good.
    I knew it!

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bradley Beal, but that will never happen.

Realistically, I want Dion Waiters.

My Big Board (for Toronto)
    Waiters
    Lillard
    Rivers
    Drummond**
    Ross
    Harkless
    PJ3

The first 3 are guys who can create their own shot. I think we need this the most. A second guy who can adequately run a pick and roll.

**Drummond, in order to move back in the draft while also getting additional assets in return. Someone HAS to be interested in the guy. I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on him, but that would mean a negative impact on JV. no no no no

Ross, Harkless and PJ3 - happens if we move back a few slots. All 3 are fascinating. Ross is another athletic wing prospect. Add some beef on that frame, he should be solid. Harkless and PJ3 seem to have very high ceilings, with less risk on taking Harkless, but more reward taking PJ3. The latter 3 would address a need at the SF position, with Ross being the only guy remotely close to being NBA ready.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

5 hours until the draft... (5 and a half if the first half hour is 'pre game' banter)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    5 hours until the draft... (5 and a half if the first half hour is 'pre game' banter)
    My wife is going to punch me in the face soon.

I've been calling out the count down nearly every hour, on the hour for the last 24 hours (that we have been awake). It has got to the point where I say, "Guess what?" She looks at clock/watch/phone and says, "5 hours, I know."

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Ross a lot but wouldn't take him at 8. I think they could trade down to the 10-12 spot and pick up him plus another asset. Especially if we're trading with Houston and get the 12 + a later first-rounder. I think he definitely fits what Colangelo was talking about with being able to take a guy with high upside who might take longer to develop.

I don't want the Raptors to stay at 8. If Drummond were to fall to 8 (seems highly possible), it would put the Raptors in a difficult situation, where he's clearly the BPA and also the worst organizational fit. Either you avoid the problem by trading up and getting one of those tier 2 players who would actually fit with the team, or you wait until your draft pick, and if Drummond is the BPA, you see what other teams will give you to trade up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    I like Ross a lot but wouldn't take him at 8. I think they could trade down to the 10-12 spot and pick up him plus another asset. Especially if we're trading with Houston and get the 12 + a later first-rounder. I think he definitely fits what Colangelo was talking about with being able to take a guy with high upside who might take longer to develop.

I don't want the Raptors to stay at 8. If Drummond were to fall to 8 (seems highly possible), it would put the Raptors in a difficult situation, where he's clearly the BPA and also the worst organizational fit. Either you avoid the problem by trading up and getting one of those tier 2 players who would actually fit with the team, or you wait until your draft pick, and if Drummond is the BPA, you see what other teams will give you to trade up.
    If the Raps came out of the night with Lowry and Ross, I'd be happy.

Even with the possibility of Nash, Lowry is a great value in the NBA. And if Nash decides to go elsewhere, they aren't stuck.

Lowry to Portland for Matthews would be great if Nash came here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    My wife is going to punch me in the face soon.

I've been calling out the count down nearly every hour, on the hour for the last 24 hours (that we have been awake). It has got to the point where I say, "Guess what?" She looks at clock/watch/phone and says, "5 hours, I know."
    My wife has decided to go shopping and then have dinner at the in-laws... leaving me free to enjoy the ENTIRE draft! I should be excited, but her birthday's in a few weeks and I have this very bad, nagging feeling that I suddently have '1st overall' type expectations being placed on me to deliver the goods! lol At least I'll enjoy tonight!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    My wife has decided to go shopping and then have dinner at the in-laws... leaving me free to enjoy the ENTIRE draft! I should be excited, but her birthday's in a few weeks and I have this very bad, nagging feeling that I suddently have '1st overall' type expectations being placed on me to deliver the goods! lol At least I'll enjoy tonight!
    My wife is going out with her girlfriends to watch whatever movie is out about male strippers.

If either of my two girls (2 years old and 3 months old) cause a disturbance tonight, it has been made clear that I will be owed big time.

Raptors Republic Rookie Usagi_yo_Jimbo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope we dont Draft Waiters. Does anyone know of a current player (all-star, borderline-all star, good role player) who was a 6th man/bench player in college? Maybe there is? I just dont know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
    I really hope we dont Draft Waiters. Does anyone know of a current player (all-star, borderline-all star, good role player) who was a 6th man/bench player in college? Maybe there is? I just dont know.
    Marvin Williams is the only one that comes to my mind and he is a role player/bust at #2.

Good trivia though.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

thinking the same thing. I just don't get his hype. I hope GSW takes him so that we don't have to even think about him.

For me its Drummond or trade down(assuming of course lillard and barnes are off). He's a great prospect and we would have 2 very good prospects at the 5 for years.

Gonna be an exciting night. Good luck BC. Makes us proud

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife's heading out tonight too, leaving me all alone to enjoy draft goodness. They must have a 6th sense about this stuff...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BC pulls this one out of his hat: Austin Rivers
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets go raptors!!!!!
    Im so pumped up lol!!!

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Should go with Damian Lillard which i doubt will slide to us, I would also would be pleased if we selected either Dion Waiters, Jeremy Lamb or Andre Drummond. I doubt Harrison Barnes will fall to 8 the furthest he can fall is 6 IMO. I would assume bc will be picking one of these guys but I cant put my finger on who BC is going to go with at this point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information