Garbo and Parker Retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garbo and Parker Retire

Don't know of a better place to put this.

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/98467/180

Garbajosa, Parker end emblematic careers
    A pair of emblematic former stars have announced their retirements back-to-back over the last 24 hours, leaving Turkish Airlines Euroleague fans with a wealth of memories of their glory days as players.

Former world champion Jorge Garbajosa of Unicaja announced on Wednesday that is retiring as a player at age 34. Garbajosa played for four different Euroleague teams in a 17-year career: Tau Ceramica, Benetton Treviso, Unicaja and Real Madrid, as well as Khimki Moscow Region in the Eurocup and Toronto in the NBA. Garbajosa reached the Euroleague title game in 2003 with Benetton, the same year that he was named to the All-Euroleague First Team. He was subsequently a second-team selection with Unicaja in 2006, just before he won the World Championships as a member of the Spanish national team.

Hours earlier in the United States, two-time Euroleague champion Anthony Parker said that he is ending his career at age 37. Parker was the leader of the Maccabi Tel Aviv team that was the only back-to-back Euroleague champion of the last two decades. He was MVP of the 2004 Final Four, when Maccabi won at home, and MVP for the entire next two seasons, after which he returned to the United States. Parker was chosen in 2008 by Euroleague Basketball as one of the 50 greatest contributors to the first half-century of European club competitions. He continues to hold the Euroleague record for best career performance index rating (21.41).

Those are two players I really appreciated their time in Toronto. Wishing them only the best. 2 team players with heart and talent.

Comment

Two solid professionals in every sense, I hope they have a great time away from laying the game.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Two of the best Raptors ever! Thanks for the memories guys.

Comment

I loved AP. It's sad to see him retire

Comment

This almost brought a tear to my eye. AP and Garbo easily one of the most liked players to wear a Raptors Jersey. Man every time I think of Garbo I remember that freak injury he had. Man did he play with a fire, I think if he didn't get hurt he could of been a key player with Toronto for a few years. Anthony Parker played great for us and he will always be remembered as a high character team guy. Those guys were two of my all time favorite Raptors, and I wish all the best for them.
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
              This almost brought a tear to my eye. AP and Garbo easily one of the most liked players to wear a Raptors Jersey. Man every time I think of Garbo I remember that freak injury he had. Man did he play with a fire, I think if he didn't get hurt he could of been a key player with Toronto for a few years. Anthony Parker played great for us and he will always be remembered as a high character team guy. Those guys were two of my all time favorite Raptors, and I wish all the best for them.
              +1

Comment

I loved Anthony Parker & almost cried when Garbo went down. I loved that Raptor team & I hate the Nets as well as Richard Jefferson, up to this day.
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

It's a shame how Jorge left the team. If only he would have listened to the Raptors doctors and followed the plan he would have had a much better shot at fully recovering and staying in the NBA. Either way, he is one of my favorite Raptors. Smart, tough and hard working. He was a good one for a short time.

Comment

Two of the best guys to wear the raptors uniform. Kind of sad to hear, but they definitely leave a body of work to be admired, especially in this me-first NBA. All the best to them.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                    X