Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disgruntled Fans 2012: Extended stinkfest? (#296)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant believe we drafted Ross! Im so upset, I didnt get to see his workouts when he was in toronto nor did i get to sit in on his interview. I mean Dallas and other established teams thought he would fall to them, so that must mean he isnt worthy of a top 10 pick. No sportswriter had him going this early, no mock draft had him in the vicinity and they are always right so this must be a bad pick.

How dare the people in charge of an NBA team make informed decisions with or without risk on a night full of uncertainty!!

Now read it again and include the demeaning sarcastic overtone.

Comment

• Man i don't get the down attitude around here at all. Ross is going to be good, and i'd take him over Rivers or Lamb or whoever was available any day.

Nash! Big Val! T. Ross!

I'm actually really excited for next season.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        Man i don't get the down attitude around here at all. Ross is going to be good, and i'd take him over Rivers or Lamb or whoever was available any day.

Nash! Big Val! T. Ross!

Lamb may be better (I doubt rivers will). The pick is solid.
        My excitement will wait until I see what happens at PG.
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
          Amen to that. He has consistently claimed he wants to make plans that help the franchise for the longer term, but as Apollo mentioned in the above post, "Check the expiration date on Colangelo's contract." Hard to imagine that the date on that piece of paper isn't going to have an impact on his actions.

Here's the thing with any Steve Nash deal. Lots of posts here about how Nash isn't the PG of the future. I agree 100%. But the Raps don't need a PG of the future this season.

I don't know what next years draft class looks like, or the one after that. And I don't know what contracts are up next year or the one after that. But I have to believe that there will be deals to be had, and draft picks available. Grabbing someone in this draft, which has been described as PG weak, would not be the solution to PG of the future either. Nash is definitely the solution to PG for the next 2-3 years, and could have an immediate impact on the team. Nash also allows Casey to work out a whole offensive scheme using Pick and rolls with a good shooting PG. They can get players rotations down, develop options and get everyone used to a systems that takes advantage of JV's ability and has spots for a slashing SG/SF. Then they have three years to find a player that could replace Nash in that scheme.

I am all for an immediate improvement and development of a style and system that allows replacement parts to be brought in to take it to the next level. Develop the system, then upgrade the parts. Not a bad formula for success, as opposed to bring in a new super-star, then invent a new system.
          Yep. +1. Thanks for saving me the post! ;-)
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• I'm reserving judgment on this offseason until free agency sorts itself out but I am not confident. Since last making the playoffs, the Raps' key acquisitions have been: an injured PF (Jermaine O'Neal), an over the hill SF (Turkoglu), a bevy of backup PFs (Davis, Amir, Kleiza), a backup SF/PF (James Johnson), a backup PG (Bayless), and a backup SG (Derozan). I guess we've got JV and another backup 2-guard (Ross) but that isn't much to show for 3 trips to the lottery and probably $240 million in combined salary over that period.

Comment

• I think nash would be a great pick-up with this young team.. First off they should make playoffs with nash, our team with nash is much better then the suns with nash, and they came down to the last game of the season. Secondly playing with nash will give our young guys so much more confidence that even when he leaves, hopefully they will continue to play with that.. These guys that get taken late in the draft would never be the players that they are without those veterans helping them. If Rondo went high in his draft and he was on a team with no other great players he most definitely be the all-star point gaurd he is now. I think right now nash is a necessity. Also i wasnt a fan of ross but i think he will fit nicely!

Comment

Amen to that. He has consistently claimed he wants to make plans that help the franchise for the longer term, but as Apollo mentioned in the above post, "Check the expiration date on Colangelo's contract." Hard to imagine that the date on that piece of paper isn't going to have an impact on his actions.

Here's the thing with any Steve Nash deal. Lots of posts here about how Nash isn't the PG of the future. I agree 100%. But the Raps don't need a PG of the future this season.

I don't know what next years draft class looks like, or the one after that. And I don't know what contracts are up next year or the one after that. But I have to believe that there will be deals to be had, and draft picks available. Grabbing someone in this draft, which has been described as PG weak, would not be the solution to PG of the future either. Nash is definitely the solution to PG for the next 2-3 years, and could have an immediate impact on the team. Nash also allows Casey to work out a whole offensive scheme using Pick and rolls with a good shooting PG. They can get players rotations down, develop options and get everyone used to a systems that takes advantage of JV's ability and has spots for a slashing SG/SF. Then they have three years to find a player that could replace Nash in that scheme.

I am all for an immediate improvement and development of a style and system that allows replacement parts to be brought in to take it to the next level. Develop the system, then upgrade the parts. Not a bad formula for success, as opposed to bring in a new super-star, then invent a new system.
                very insightfull post.. i agree 1000%..

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  No second round pick makes anybody in the rotation expendable.
                  Not until the season starts at least.

Comment

• I agree with your point about nash. I just want to say that adding nash is in no way a negative. Yes we don't have a pg of the future but it was between Kendall marshall or possibly kyle lowry. Now if we went after kyle (not a fan of the move because I don't think he fits with the team) we would have a hole at the 3 which is addressed with ross (he can play either the 2 or 3...i think casey is gonna use him and demar interchangeably) and he is a long perimeter defender. And to all those who wanted gay that would never of happened...the grizzlies gm has flat out said that gay is not going anywhere, and iggy is not worth the money. I think taking nash is the safest bet...worst case scenario we finish 9th or 10th in the east...but I honestly don't see it with the addition of jonas and possibly nash. I think the playoffs with nash is very realistic and even if we make it to the 1st round and get swept i would consider it a successful season as it would give demar, jonas and ed some playoff experience which they desperately need to get a taste of

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      Man i don't get the down attitude around here at all. Ross is going to be good, and i'd take him over Rivers or Lamb or whoever was available any day.

Nash! Big Val! T. Ross!

+1

I think Acy will suprise some people too.

The attitude of raptors "fans" is just awful. Probably from being uninformed and unable to form an opinion instead of just glancing at a mockdraft and knowing better then people that do it for a living.

IMO Ross, is ahead of derozan in raw basketball skills. Maybe not the athleticism, but any guy with 3.2% body fat , a good shooting stroke and defense can play on my team anyday of the week.

Comment

• what pg would you want? lowry? marshall?....i would rather have nash...and i honestly can't take you seriously because you think skip bayless' opinion is sane..he picked austin rivers as the 2nd overall pick...if you think ross is a reach then i suggest you find someone else to listen to

Comment

exactly my point and what better man to do it than Steve Nash. Team needs veterans and who better than a former 2 time MVP. and yes he is Canadian. It matters.

Comment

• SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
                            I cant believe we drafted Ross! Im so upset, I didnt get to see his workouts when he was in toronto nor did i get to sit in on his interview. I mean Dallas and other established teams thought he would fall to them, so that must mean he isnt worthy of a top 10 pick. No sportswriter had him going this early, no mock draft had him in the vicinity and they are always right so this must be a bad pick.

How dare the people in charge of an NBA team make informed decisions with or without risk on a night full of uncertainty!!

Now read it again and include the demeaning sarcastic overtone.
                            Lol not gonna lie, I was about to go on a rant about the stupidity of that comment until I read the last sentence.
                            It's stupid that people dislike the pick because it was different and the mock drafts didn't agree with the pick. BC says it the best. The pick will be proven on the court.

Comment

• Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                              It's nice to see that the Cavs also had a horrible night and it's also nice to see that they actually like the idea of us drafting Ross :/
                              Yeah, and if it's any consolation to the Raptors faithful, almost every forum had angst about their team's pick, well except for Davis and MKG.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                                Yeah, and if it's any consolation to the Raptors faithful, almost every forum had angst about their team's pick, well except for Davis and MKG.
                                To be fair though, it's because their respective teams failed to draft PJIII

Comment

Working...
                                X