Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@UWFlight31 to @T_DotFlight31 !

Terrence Ross
    ‏@T_DotFlight31

Here you go Toronto, my new name...

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I still cannot believe Waiters was the second rated SG in this draft. It also seems that BC had the same rating at least from Chad Ford's mock of the Raps picking him. imo Ross is in fact the 2nd best SG after Beal of course. Wonder how DD feels about the competition and what might be. I also would not be shocked if Ross is traded in a deal for a SF.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I like him too but, 8 was a bit of a reach if we would of traded for the Rockets pick 12 that would of been better.///.
    Not to single you out but this is about the 20th post that wonders why BC didn't trade down to take Ross plus some other asset. Do all of you suggesting he should have done that think that he didn't think of it?

"Yay. We got Ross at 8. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....Wait a minute. I could have traded down to 12 to get him! Doh"

I am pretty certain that the above declaration did not occur. I expect that BC had no takers down to the level of pick where he thought Ross was gone. THAT'S WHY HE TOOK HIM AT EIGHT!

How stupid do you think a man who has been a GM for a decade really is? Give it a break guys.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, BC mentioned in the presser that he had offers to trade OUT of the draft, but no offers to trade down.

I wanna know what offers were made, but I guess we'll never know.

It's easy to say we should have traded down, but I'm imagining there was no feasible deal in place.

Dion Waiters was a reach at #4, so I don't feel as bad. I guess the concern is we drafted a guy at 8 whose potential does not seem to live up to all-star level, but you never know. Jonas is another rookie with a lot of promise, so picking safe, which means picking a guy who has the tools to be an impact starter is alright.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

When the dust settles I'm betting Ross won't be the steal of the draft but one of Waiters, Barnes, Lillard or Leonard will be seen as the true bust (Leonard might be a little low to be considered a bust, but more of a guy that everyone outside that city forgets was even drafted that year)

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

who else was there to draft rivers is 6'4 SG who the hell is he guarding in the nba? pj3 doesnt seem like he can play SF neither does terrence jones. dummond is pointless to draft unless we r trading one of our bigs. i wanted harkless but thats jut me. when i watch ross play he looks like he understands the game on both ends of the floor.plus he has a elite nba skill in shooting

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually really like Terrence Jones, I think he's going to do really well in Houston as a tweener 3/4.

Post Thanks / Like

From the interview, Dwane Casey said that he doesn't really see numbers in positions. He sees them as 'wing players.' Whether you're a 2, or 3, or both.

Subtle way to say, Demar and Ross will be playing a lot together on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

The reality in the NBA is that natural positions don't matter as much anymore. Teams mix up their line-ups often times, featuring 2 point guards, going small with only 1 true big, etc.

So in that regard, I trust Casey because it makes sense. He played JB and Jose together for stretches, James Johnson at the 4, etc. It really is just a talent issue, more than positions.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    The reality in the NBA is that natural positions don't matter as much anymore. Teams mix up their line-ups often times, featuring 2 point guards, going small with only 1 true big, etc.

So in that regard, I trust Casey because it makes sense. He played JB and Jose together for stretches, James Johnson at the 4, etc. It really is just a talent issue, more than positions.
    Terrence Ross fills a need of talent, perimeter shooting, and potential. He was the BPA on BC's board, and filled in a couple holes. So I agree.

If anything with the lineup of now, a starting line of Jose, Terrence, Demar, Andrea, and Jonas doesn't look playoff run, but looks well enough to compete for an 8th spot.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Terrence Ross going OFF in theses two games

From what I see from the first video, I can see I problem I have with him that most Rookies have. When he's hot from the three point line, I feel like sometimes he'll keep jacking them up to keep him hot. It's nice to see that his jumpshot is impressive but I would also like it if he can penetrate the paint a little more. But I guess that's something that he needs to work more on. Along with attacking the paint more, he would need to bulk up a little more, build more muscle and get strong. If he can do that in this next two year or so, I think he can be a seriously good starter in the NBA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Well, BC mentioned in the presser that he had offers to trade OUT of the draft, but no offers to trade down.

I wanna know what offers were made, but I guess we'll never know.

It's easy to say we should have traded down, but I'm imagining there was no feasible deal in place.

Dion Waiters was a reach at #4, so I don't feel as bad. I guess the concern is we drafted a guy at 8 whose potential does not seem to live up to all-star level, but you never know. Jonas is another rookie with a lot of promise, so picking safe, which means picking a guy who has the tools to be an impact starter is alright.
    It's best not to know about the offers made to us cuz it's best not to know what could have been. As for Dion Waiter, I still feel like he's all hype. I can understand the D Wade comparison on the penetration, but I feel like the expectations of him will eventually get the best of him. He'll be a solid starter in the NBA, but definitely not as good as people have said he will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Terrence Ross fills a need of talent, perimeter shooting, and potential. He was the BPA on BC's board, and filled in a couple holes. So I agree.

If anything with the lineup of now, a starting line of Jose, Terrence, Demar, Andrea, and Jonas doesn't look playoff run, but looks well enough to compete for an 8th spot.
    I'm still not sold on Demar playing the SF spot...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    I'm still not sold on Demar playing the SF spot...
    Positions are numbers, its wing position.

Anyways, Dwane Casey sarcastically mentioned that Demar now looks like a power forward... But it was a way to say Demar built muscle..

I don't care anymore, the only thing that really is a downside is if he plays small forward is his strength, but he's athletic, which a good number of the non-elite small forwards aren't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Wonder how DD feels about the competition and what might be. I also would not be shocked if Ross is traded in a deal for a SF.
    We'll learn a lot about DeRozan now because of this move. Will he take this competition as incentive to grow/change or will he grow discontented if Ross starts earning heavy minutes from Casey.

I personally think DeRozan is the kind of guy that will keep working hard, improving his game and working with his teammates, new and old.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    We'll learn a lot about DeRozan now because of this move. Will he take this competition as incentive to grow/change or will he grow discontented if Ross starts earning heavy minutes from Casey.

I personally think DeRozan is the kind of guy that will keep working hard, improving his game and working with his teammates, new and old.
    Personally I don't think DD feel threatened by this move. I think they complement each other very well and I feel that DeMar see that too. There will be no SG controversy
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope they connect in the off-season and start working together. If DeRozan wants to take on a leadership role he needs to reach out to the rookies. Bargnani needs to as well.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Bet did you think he was worth the 8th pick? I knew he was a good talent, and I figured he could have a rookie year like a fellow Washington player, WSU,s Klay Thompson, but I thought 8 may be a reach.
    At the end of the day I don't care it was at 8. Ideally trading down and getting him but would only get a minor piece and risk not getting him at all.
    The guy I wanted us to draft we did. I'm happy.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

On the bright side, derozan may to have to compete for minutes. Not exactly happy with this pick (time will tell), but I like his attitude so far from the interviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    It's best not to know about the offers made to us cuz it's best not to know what could have been. As for Dion Waiter, I still feel like he's all hype. I can understand the D Wade comparison on the penetration, but I feel like the expectations of him will eventually get the best of him. He'll be a solid starter in the NBA, but definitely not as good as people have said he will be.
    My suspicion is Lowry for the 8th pick. BC didn't bite because he seemed to have zeroed in on Ross + the possibility of signing Nash. Like he said, there were offers to move out of the draft, but not down.

-- Charles Barkley

Thread Information