No announcement yet.

Would you rather......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I said Jonas and Ross. Both are least likely to be busts, hearing the word 'bust' around them just doesn't connect. Jonas is more developed offensively and body-wise. Jonas has played against a couple of players with NBA experience, he's player with grown men, he's dominated his age in Europe, those are some huge accolades. The only thing Davis has on that is he also dominated his age in the NCAA, but dude hasn't played well as much as Jonas in terms of bigger/experienced players.

Ross has really no downside to his game but strength. Unselfish, high character, good defender, great shooter, athletic. Rivers is not very athletic, okay defender, selfish, streaky, not too strong. Rivers has ball-handling over Ross. BUT, both can create their own shots, and both are combo players.

Davis and Rivers could pan out better than Valanciunas and Ross, but Valanciunas and Ross have minimal risks compared to Davis and Rivers.

EDIT* Davis and JV are about the same, if anything Davis COULD have the edge, but Ross over Rivers by miles.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
      If this poll was on any other team's forum, the results would be unanimous for AD.
      I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. To me, this question comes down to Rivers. There is little consensus on whether or not he will be a solid pro. It seems people either say he will be a killer or he will be a bust. To me, I think he is going to be a role player at best. I watched him tons at Duke. He is a killer and he is a solid shoot, but I do not know if it will transfer at all to the NBA. Davis to me will be a stud, but I feel in this case, I rather have JV and Ross (the 2nd and 3rd best players out of the 4) then AD and someone I really do not know what to expect.

Just my opinion though.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
        I see where you are coming from, but I disagree. To me, this question comes down to Rivers. There is little consensus on whether or not he will be a solid pro. It seems people either say he will be a killer or he will be a bust. To me, I think he is going to be a role player at best. I watched him tons at Duke. He is a killer and he is a solid shoot, but I do not know if it will transfer at all to the NBA. Davis to me will be a stud, but I feel in this case, I rather have JV and Ross (the 2nd and 3rd best players out of the 4) then AD and someone I really do not know what to expect.

Just my opinion though.
        I also fear that AD could suffer the same fate from his fanbase that Bargnani does from ours. If Bargnani had been drafted 5th or 6th, there wouldn't be nearly the hate spewed towards him, which is the result of expectations automatically placed on a #1 overall pick to become a franchise's saviour. I think that Davis will be a solid pro and have a long, successful career. I just think that it could be a career that mirrors that of Marcus Camby; a very effective defensive anchor with a decent but limited offensive game, who has trouble defending big/heavy players man-to-man. Camby is a highly regarded player, but would anybody agree that his career has met 1st overall type expectations? Probably not.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
          Player of the year, defensive player of the year, unanimous 1st team all american, national champion, consensus #1. Simmons recently stated AD may have the 4th highest trade value in the whole league (and that guy wrote the basketball bible). I swear you are trolling me.
          He's still not better than all 3 of those players combined. I never said he sucks but he also hasn't even played in the league yet. Your acting as if he's a sure fire HOF. Jonas played against Men not 18 - 21 year olds, you could say Jonas would have dominated the NCAA as much as or more than AD

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that most of you didn't watch many Kentucky games last year. If you had, there's no chance in hell you'd be selecting JV and Ross.

Yes, his offensive game lacks polish right now but you might want to keep in mind that he's still adjusting to the size of his body. His jump shot form is excellent and he was by all accounts a very reliable shooter before he grew. He didn't take many shots at Kentucky because they were gunning for a championship and didn't have time to develop him as an offensive tool, but he showed range out to the three point line and his free throw shooting improved dramatically over the course of the season (as he got comfortable). He's a very good passer as well, Kentucky used him up high to initiate a lot of their sets.

Basically all that's holding him back on that end is a lack of reps shooting the ball. Once he adjusts to his body and gets that 15-18 foot jumper down, he's going to be a much better offensive player than people realize. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was a better scorer than JV by season 3 or 4.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Davis and Rivers. Valanciunas is going to be a great player, as will Davis, but Rivers, I feel is going to be one helluva player/borderline star. That's my my gut feeling. His cockiness, swagger, wanting to take the last shot and be clutch, been properly coached makes the Davis/ Rivers combo have the edge over Valanciunas and Ross.
              So you're a fan of Bayless, right ... riiight?? Hahah

This is an interesting scenario to ponder, Matt. Well played.

As I'm pretty sure I was the first person on the board to say I actually liked the pick, I think its obvious my thoughts on Ross.
              -I think they will both be good players.
              -He has the size advantage over Rivers to play the 2.
              -The Defensive ability advantage over Rivers.
              -I'd say Ross is actually the better shooter as well.
              Advantage: Ross.

The Jonas vs. Anthon Davis 'comparison' is another monster ... as one plays more of a face-up 4 game, and one plays very strictly as a Big 5.
              -I think they will both be VERY good players.
              -For the sake of comparison, I'd say Size-wise, they are equally suited to go in and play against their respective opposing positions... with JV possessing the slight advantage by not being skinnier than Kate Moss .. as AD is.
              -Offensively, I think JV will be a tougher guard than AD for their respective opponents.
              -Defensively, I'm going to say its a wash. With AD possessing the slight advantage of not being a little heavy in the feet.
              Advantage: Draw.

Thus my conclusion .. I'm a Homer. Give me our BC drafted Buds.

Comment

Working...
              X