X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weems? Really?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      According to Larry Coon's chat today on ESPN, Toronto could deal Bayless in a S&T, but not Weems. Apparently there is a rule change in the new CBA that says a player must actually play for the team during the previous season, in order to be able to S&T them away. Weems is an RFA, but we can't S&T him. I hope BC isn't planning on keeping Weems next season.

Article Link: http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary...rry-coon-62912

Why does a part of me think that the Raps screwed the pooch hard on this? I hope Bryan read the CBA rule changes before offering Weems his QO. It makes no sense to keep him - not after they drafted a combo SG/SF that could essentially replace him.

Comment

What was Weems' qualifying offer worth again? Maybe he gets more on the market and this is a non-issue.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Why does a part of me think that the Raps screwed the pooch hard on this? I hope Bryan read the CBA rule changes before offering Weems his QO. It makes no sense to keep him - not after they drafted a combo SG/SF that could essentially replace him.
          He can still renounce him anytime he likes. It just doesn't make much sense to me, unless he wants to sign him, since that's his only option.

Comment

Bayless I'm fine with. But nothing to do with Weems, hopefully all is in terms for a S&T.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Here are more details on the contract
              http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...o-sonny-weems/

QO is $1.067M. Raps can rescind the offer, so yes it could just be nothing. Koreen indicates in his article that he can be traded, but that's opposite of what Coon is saying.

Comment

QO is $1.067M. Raps can rescind the offer, so yes it could just be nothing. Koreen indicates in his article that he can be traded, but that's opposite of what Coon is saying.
                I hope Koreen is right, since I'd love to flip Weems for a future 2nd round pick. However, I wouldn't bet against Coon, when it comes to the NBA CBA!

Comment

So worst case we bring Weems back for one year at $1.067M, and we can deal him during the season. That's a very reasonable contract for a 9th-10th man. Weems isn't great but he can contribute more than that salary justifies.

Maybe Phoenix makes an offer to Weems and we agree not to match as part of a Nash deal, since we presumably can't sign and trade him. I'm also OK with bringing back Bayless at around $4-$5 mill per year for 2 or 3 years if he agrees to be a back-up, since we will still need a backup PG. I'm assuming Uzoh will be the 3rd PG since the Raps analysis guy mentioned him and how Uzoh was a big reason they didn't select Machado.

Comment

Maybe he got better with the European experience? I like Weems over Forbes ANYDAY
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
                      Maybe he got better with the European experience? I like Weems over Forbes ANYDAY
                      I was going to mention Forbes in my post but forgot. Forbes makes more than Weems QO. Weems is actually a very very good deal at only $1.067 M per year. He is an asset and I'm glad Colangelo is treating him as such.

Comment

I don't know why no one likes Weems here.

He will get an offer from some team shopping for an athletic 2/3 off the bench.

Comment

It's a qualifying offer... No reason for people to get over-excited / upset. If they don't want to keep him and can't trade him, they can renounce it, and honestly, $1M for a guy with Weems' skill set is a fairly good bargain.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                            It's a qualifying offer... No reason for people to get over-excited / upset. If they don't want to keep him and can't trade him, they can renounce it, and honestly, $1M for a guy with Weems' skill set is a fairly good bargain.
                            If the Raptors are keen on getting the best from DeRozan, I see Sonny Weems fitting in with the Raptors as a third string wing. For a million per season, why not ?

Forbes pissed me off so much last season. He's a chucker who was experimented on multiple times at the point. BAD IDEA. For all the hate Bayless is getting, Forbes was that much sh!tt!er at the point.

Weems did have a good season in Europe. Last time we got a good player fresh from Europe, it was Anthony Parker (RIP: retire in peace). Weems would bring more athleticism, boost DeMar's morale (being boys and all) & actually provide a key component the Raptors lack: someone who can break down his man. (ableit, Forbes can do the same, but he really pisses me off). Weems would have the cheaper contract as well.

Weems is a 2, not a 3. Jay Triano's experiment did not work.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Is Colangelo serious about turning the Raptors into a good team? Or does he enjoy being perpetually at or below average? The goal isn't to add a bunch of decent pieces to make sure your bench is close to as talented as your starters. The goal is to have high concentrations of talent, players that are among the leagues best at their position. That's how you build a contender. These mediocre deals and signings are just going to turn us into a consistant playoff team that goes nowhere (Atlanta Hawks).

Comment

Weem is fine but I want Bayless gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X