CONFIRMED: Qualifying offers sent to Bayless and Weems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torch19 wrote: View Post

P.S. I don't get why Cleveland is so interested in everything Toronto. Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, stole Dion Waiters, Weems too ? lol
    Tristan Thompson lol
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Per Larry Coon chat again today on ESPN, the new CBA has a change in it, related to RFAs who didn't play on your team the previous season (ie: Jeff Green - Celtics, AK47 - Jazz, Weems - Raptors). The team maintains the player's "Bird" rights (ability to match offers received), but are now unable to do a S&T deal using that player. So, for example, the Raptors can't S&T Weems to Cleveland to pickup an asset such as a 2nd round pick.

The only options that BC has with Weems are:
      1. Re-sign him to a contract negotiated directly
      2. Match an offer that Weems negotiated with another team
      3. Let Weems sign with another team
      4. Renounce Weems, making him an UFA

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        Per Larry Coon chat again today on ESPN, the new CBA has a change in it, related to RFAs who didn't play on your team the previous season (ie: Jeff Green - Celtics, AK47 - Jazz, Weems - Raptors). The team maintains the player's "Bird" rights (ability to match offers received), but are now unable to do a S&T deal using that player. So, for example, the Raptors can't S&T Weems to Cleveland to pickup an asset such as a 2nd round pick.

I like the first option, than trade to Cleveland for some sort of pick/player down the season, he is a better player than Forbes in my opinion.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          I like the first option, than trade to Cleveland for some sort of pick/player down the season, he is a better player than Forbes in my opinion.
          If players are signed, I believe it is a 3 month waiting period before they are able to be traded. I don't think it's worth signing a player you have no real interest in, just in the hopes of being able to trade him for a 2nd round pick. It's not fair to the player or any other player(s) on your roster that will lose playing time in those 3 months. Plus, the team that was interested in him, would likely just acquire a different player, eliminating the trade opportunity. Also, signing him would use up cap space that might prevent the team from acquiring a player via signing/trade that they would actually want. I say just let Weems walk.

Comment

I don't know. I think Colangelo actually likes what Sonny Weems bring. He did extend the QO last year as well, but Weems signed with Zalgiris b/c of the lock out.

If we do sign Nash, imagine how good Weems will look with an outlet pass from Nash. Like I said earlier, Weems is crazy in transition. He gets off the ground fast, he's quick and he got hops.

He can also hit the mid range with some consistency, make something happen with the dribble and can finish around the rim.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I don't know. I think Colangelo actually likes what Sonny Weems bring. He did extend the QO last year as well, but Weems signed with Zalgiris b/c of the lock out.

If we do sign Nash, imagine how good Weems will look with an outlet pass from Nash. Like I said earlier, Weems is crazy in transition. He gets off the ground fast, he's quick and he got hops.

He can also hit the mid range with some consistency, make something happen with the dribble and can finish around the rim.
              But we already drafted a dude that is much better than weem's at everything

Comment

Man I'll take Forbes over Weems any day
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  me too. i might have read them wrong but i didn't like his passive aggressive tweets and jibes when he went across the pond.

Comment

sorry double post
                    Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

I believe we have no S and T options, but I do not think we have the right to renounce. Weems has a contract offer from us that cannot be rescinded by the raptors. Weems does not have to accept our offer and can sign elsewhere and we have the right to match.

If a Q offer could be renounced I don't think Mayo or Fernanadez would be without their Q offer

With Bayless also receiving a Q offer we are carrying his cap hold until he signs with us or someone else
                      Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

I would take Weems over Forbes now.

I also have to believe Anderson is in the mix for the same job. None of the three would be carrying large contracts (assuming Weems does not receive a larger offer). Training camp competition could be the goal here that can only make these players better. The small contacts for the player(s) cut could easily be waived
                        Last edited by jbml; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

P.S. I don't get why Cleveland is so interested in everything Toronto. Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, stole Dion Waiters, Weems too ? lol
                          Maybe they're trying to copy our winning formula

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                            Maybe they're trying to copy our winning formula
                            ROFL.

Why did they pick Uncle drew ahead of Enes Kanter then?

Comment

Weems is a sick player, it's not that he doesn't want to play here, the management has no plans for him moving forward soooooo he dont want to play for someone who dont want him. But I like Weems game, I'm sure he's going to do good on another team, I'm going to miss all the love he had for the city, I met him at footlocker, he's a cool guy...not as arragont as I seen him on tv.

Comment

If players are signed, I believe it is a 3 month waiting period before they are able to be traded. I don't think it's worth signing a player you have no real interest in, just in the hopes of being able to trade him for a 2nd round pick. It's not fair to the player or any other player(s) on your roster that will lose playing time in those 3 months. Plus, the team that was interested in him, would likely just acquire a different player, eliminating the trade opportunity. Also, signing him would use up cap space that might prevent the team from acquiring a player via signing/trade that they would actually want. I say just let Weems walk.
                                Well, when I made the suggestion, it was assuming BC wants Weems on the team and to play. But, you have a good point.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X