Aaron Gray a UFA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaron Gray a UFA?

pardon my ignorance - but with all the offers going around Gray's name did not come up.

Is he gone? asking too much?

I thought DC was happy with his rugged interior play.
    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

I read somewhere that they plan on signing him just because he's a good option and he's affordable. I don't have the article to point to however
    Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

At the right price I would love to have him back.
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

We should sign him. Could start for Jonas until he gets used to the nba grind, then can be a decent backup for jonas.

Comment

Pretty sure he's a UFA. He signed a one year deal as a UFA last season.

Comment

Aaron Gray is the definition of solid back-up centre.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

BC and Dwane mentioned that Aaron Gray and Jamaal would be options to re-sign.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                BC and Dwane mentioned that Aaron Gray and Jamaal would be options to re-sign.
                And to me both should definitely be back with the team.

Comment

aaron gray was able to make alabi expendable. haha. with luck he has another hard fought game and gets the mvp chant. i bet that makes work horses love toronto and douchemonkies think we don't understand the game

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                    pardon my ignorance - but with all the offers going around Gray's name did not come up.

Is he gone? asking too much?

I thought DC was happy with his rugged interior play.
                    Raptors have his bird rights.

Unrestricted free agents don't need to get tendered a qualifying offer - only restricted.

He is a cap hold though and if the Raps are looking to sign another team's free agent he does count towards the cap unless he is renounced (I believe his cap hold is $2.5M). At that point the Raptors can no longer go over the cap to sign him and would be limited to an exception (which they probably renounced to get cap space as well) or a minimum contract.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                      And to me both should definitely be back with the team.
                      I believe so too. If Nash agrees to our offer (looking good for us, but don't wanna jinx), we would use Jose in a S&T, trade, or hopefully not, amnesty to free up space for guys to re-sign, and sign in free agency. A lot of action in the first day for the Toronto Raptors.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Unrestricted free agents don't need to get tendered a qualifying offer - only restricted.

He is a cap hold though and if the Raps are looking to sign another team's free agent he does count towards the cap unless he is renounced (I believe his cap hold is $2.5M). At that point the Raptors can no longer go over the cap to sign him and would be limited to an exception (which they probably renounced to get cap space as well) or a minimum contract.
                        holy smokes dude Matt52 knows his stuff (y)
                        thx

I hope the price is right and they keep him. He is not going to draw any attention on the offensive end but he is a tough SOB in the paint... very annoying to play against, and legit 7 footer.
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

[QUOTE=charlz;139791 He is not going to draw any attention on the offensive end but he is a tough SOB in the paint... very annoying to play against, and legit 7 footer.[/QUOTE]

this is why i love mcroberts. gray is fantastic in his role. i think that hump might be the best at it now unlike when he was still a raptor with dreams and starlight in his eyes. hump is never outworked and that is what you want in this role and gray suits it very well. i do like how mean mcroberts is though.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I'm pretty sure we don't. To qualify for the Bird exception, the player (Gray) must not have signed a new contract with a new team for 3 consecutive years. Since Aaron was a UFA last off-season (contract with Hornets expired) and signed with a new team (Raptors), his "Bird right clock" is reset.

EDIT: Double-checked with Coon, and it seems to be correct.

ADD: Obviously we can still use a chunk of the MLE to sign him if we happen to be over the cap at that point, so it's a not a huge problem if we really want him back.
                            Last edited by jrdyck; Mon Jul 2, 2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
                              I'm pretty sure we don't. To qualify for the Bird exception, the player (Gray) must not have signed a new contract with a new team for 3 consecutive years. Since Aaron was a UFA last off-season (contract with Hornets expired) and signed with a new team (Raptors), his "Bird right clock" is reset.

EDIT: Double-checked with Coon, and it seems to be correct.
                              I might have the wrong terminology but my understanding is the Raptors can go over the cap to sign their own free agent.

I'd be interested in what you read regarding the double-checked with Coon.

HoopsWorld.com and ShamSports.com have a cap hold of $3.0M which is 120% of his previous salary.

I concede the Raptors might not be able to offer full 5 years and annual raises of 7.5% but I do believe they can go beyond the salary cap to resign him as long as they do not renounce his cap hold.

Comment

Working...
                              X